• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston 81-69 to fall to 0-3 in the CAA (story)

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Great job by the new W&M coach. Nice pick up in Van Vliet from Wisconsin and Knight is still Knight. But guess what? Unlike Shaver, he actually has the team playing defense and rebounding more so maybe they did the right thing. 

I don't what you mean by three already. The brothers went home (either Florida or Africa for the break). It's not time to fold the ship yet after losing to three very good teams. Now lose to UNCW, Drexel and Delaware (should at least go 2-1), then as Michael Ray Richardson once said, "The ship be sinking."

The state this team is currently in "(should at least go 2-1)" is a HIGHLY optimistic.  Hey I hope they go 3-0 in that stretch but it's hard to see it right now.  Yes they faced the top 3 in conference but what is going to be their story/excuse after these next 3?

5 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

The state this team is currently in "(should at least go 2-1)" is a HIGHLY optimistic.  Hey I hope they go 3-0 in that stretch but it's hard to see it right now.  Yes they faced the top 3 in conference but what is going to be their story/excuse after these next 3?

Ok, we’ll lose them all so everyone will be excited and we’ll have more threads about the last 2+ years. Or we’ll go 2-1 and there will be crickets.

11 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Ok, we’ll lose them all so everyone will be excited and we’ll have more threads about the last 2+ years. Or we’ll go 2-1 and there will be crickets.

I wasn't criticizing you I was just making my opinion on the next three based on how this team has played recently.  I know you were speaking in general terms but please do not include me in the "everyone" as I have not spoken or mentioned the last 2+ years.  I'm sure I am like others who visit the site often in that I read the post but always hesitate to respond or post because I do not want my opinions to be ripped or responded with sarcasm.   Being grouped with some on here that you can basically predict their responses reaffirms my hesitations.

Ok, so I’m one of those ones who has brought up the last 2 1/2 years and, yes, I suppose you can predict my responses as the losses mount. Which leads me to ask, what’s wrong with referring to cold hard facts to support a point? What’s wrong with being thoroughly dissatisfied with the state of the program? What’s wrong with expressing an opinion, supported by data? I would love to be a ra-ra Pollyanna, but that’s not where this program is. Tell me what to be optimistic about, and I’m onboard. And btw, I’ve never insulted another poster & my criticisms of players and/or coaches is never personal, but is rather data driven. I go out of my way to back up my arguments with statistics. 

And truth be told, as a football & basketball season ticket holder, and a donor to the TAF, I believe I’ve paid for the right to be critical, in view of the performance of the basketball team over the last 2+ years. So, forgive me for being disappointed in mediocrity and wanting better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I'm going to say this and you'll disagree, but, like it or not, people in today's world typically have a negative/pessimistic attitude towards things. Losing brings out the passion and anger in fans, especially for ones who rarely if ever have a winning team.  I can assured you if we would have gone 2-1 in the first 3 games, there wouldn't be crickets. Those teams are solid/good but they aren't the old ODU/Mason/VCU teams of the past. If we go 2-1 against the next 3, there may be crickets, depending on how the games are played and won. If we blow them out I think people here would be impressed, as that is a rarity.  Chances are we are up in 1 or so late, and yack up the lead. Maybe we win, maybe we don't. But that isn't pessimism, that's using a large sample size, as a fact, from this year, and years past. 

4 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

I wasn't criticizing you I was just making my opinion on the next three based on how this team has played recently.  I know you were speaking in general terms but please do not include me in the "everyone" as I have not spoken or mentioned the last 2+ years.  I'm sure I am like others who visit the site often in that I read the post but always hesitate to respond or post because I do not want my opinions to be ripped or responded with sarcasm.   Being grouped with some on here that you can basically predict their responses reaffirms my hesitations.

Nothing against you Blazer or to the others who have gotten their feelings bent out of shape on here, IT'S AN ONLINE FAN MESSAGE BOARD. People are going to bitch, complain, name call, etc. Its not unique to just us here. Our football and mens hoops programs have underachieved for so long, it's extremely frustrating. If it was just the content crowd of fans here, it would be boring. If it was just the angry and bitching crowd of fans here, it would also be boring. 

Some positives in the first 3 conference games. Overall we are +1 in rebounding, 37/48 from the line (77%), have held teams to 42.4% from the field and 34.3% from 3. In the last 5 games we have held teams to 70.8 points in regulation.

55 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Historically this is where skerry teams might win 6 of 8 or so. We'll hear on the post game that we're right in the thick of things, have a shot. Then stumble down the stretch and a first round exit. Next year they'll be so-so in the out of conference schedule, some reason for optimism. Then fall face flat again at the start of conference play.

12 hours ago, tu_fan said:

After tonight's poor ball movement we are now averaging 10.5 assists/game, placing us 330th in D1, just ahead of NJIT, St. Francis and Central Conn State....

good god

Please, please, please, can someone get an on-the-record comment from Tim Leonard regarding the state of TU Men's Basketball?  I have no doubt he would give some kind of fluff, throw-away answer but I just would love to hear him try to defend Pat Skerry.  I'm guessing he's behind closed doors and not available for comment?

This program is Tim Leonard's problem.  The guy strikes me as being more of a high school qualified AD than a D-1 college AD.

• Like 3