• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston 81-69 to fall to 0-3 in the CAA (story)

49 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

Historically this is where skerry teams might win 6 of 8 or so. We'll hear on the post game that we're right in the thick of things, have a shot. Then stumble down the stretch and a first round exit. Next year they'll be so-so in the out of conference schedule, some reason for optimism. Then fall face flat again at the start of conference play.

"The Cycle of Skerry"

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

And truth be told, as a football & basketball season ticket holder, and a donor to the TAF, I believe I’ve paid for the right to be critical, in view of the performance of the basketball team over the last 2+ years. So, forgive me for being disappointed in mediocrity and wanting better 

You have every right to. After 2 good years with Benimon and Co, we have been at best mediocre. Same for the football program. It is UNACCEPTABLE, especially with coaches on their 2nd and 3rd contract extensions with a decade + tenure. 

I feel lucky but also spoiled that I was enrolled at Towson during the 2013 years when sports were at their peak. Football in the national championship and Bennimon and Co winning 20 games a season for the basketball team. At the time, I thought Ambrose and Skerry were miracle workers reviving dying programs to relevancy and a chance at winning conferences. 

Fast Forward to 2020 vision and I’m starting to wonder if following these programs are even worth the heartache/headache anymore. Rob and Pat give a lot of lip service about how great their players are, but they can’t seem to execute in big time games. Do we need to clean house? Ambrose, Skerry, and Leonard? It sure seems like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

I feel lucky but also spoiled that I was enrolled at Towson during the 2013 years when sports were at their peak. Football in the national championship and Bennimon and Co winning 20 games a season for the basketball team. At the time, I thought Ambrose and Skerry were miracle workers reviving dying programs to relevancy and a chance at winning conferences. 

Fast Forward to 2020 vision and I’m starting to wonder if following these programs are even worth the heartache/headache anymore. Rob and Pat give a lot of lip service about how great their players are, but they can’t seem to execute in big time games. Do we need to clean house? Ambrose, Skerry, and Leonard? It sure seems like it.

Obviously the 2014 semifinal loss was disappointing on its own to not make it to the NCAA's let alone championship of only legitimate chance since the early 90s. But the loss is compounded by the fact that skerry would have almost been guaranteed to be gone if the 2014 team had gotten him to the big dance (one of the oldest teams in the country that year). Could have landed a bigger job and would probably have been fired from there already.

Another poster has stated it but you should want your coach to leave for a better program. That means you've had success and its proven to be a launching pad job for another hungry young coach to come in. If that coach fails you can get rid of them after the initial shorter contract or better yet they could succeed and move on too. That ridiculous extension by Tim has to be one of the worst in the history of the NCAA. By the time it is over will have 15 years of ineptitude under one regime (30+ years total), no public interest, and no more new attractive arena.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I'm going to say this and you'll disagree, but, like it or not, people in today's world typically have a negative/pessimistic attitude towards things. Losing brings out the passion and anger in fans, especially for ones who rarely if ever have a winning team.  I can assured you if we would have gone 2-1 in the first 3 games, there wouldn't be crickets. Those teams are solid/good but they aren't the old ODU/Mason/VCU teams of the past. If we go 2-1 against the next 3, there may be crickets, depending on how the games are played and won. If we blow them out I think people here would be impressed, as that is a rarity.  Chances are we are up in 1 or so late, and yack up the lead. Maybe we win, maybe we don't. But that isn't pessimism, that's using a large sample size, as a fact, from this year, and years past. 

Nothing against you Blazer or to the others who have gotten their feelings bent out of shape on here, IT'S AN ONLINE FAN MESSAGE BOARD. People are going to bitch, complain, name call, etc. Its not unique to just us here. Our football and mens hoops programs have underachieved for so long, it's extremely frustrating. If it was just the content crowd of fans here, it would be boring. If it was just the angry and bitching crowd of fans here, it would also be boring. 

Some positives in the first 3 conference games. Overall we are +1 in rebounding, 37/48 from the line (77%), have held teams to 42.4% from the field and 34.3% from 3. In the last 5 games we have held teams to 70.8 points in regulation.

There are always crickets when the team is winning because you're 100% right in the fact that people in today's world would rather be negative/pessimistic about things to make themselves feel better/smarter.  I hate coming on this board when we lose because everyone is a know it all and makes it incredibly personal.  I feel like the majority of the posters would rather be right than the programs being successful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Royal Tiger said:

Obviously the 2014 semifinal loss was disappointing on its own to not make it to the NCAA's let alone championship of only legitimate chance since the early 90s. But the loss is compounded by the fact that skerry would have almost been guaranteed to be gone if the 2014 team had gotten him to the big dance (one of the oldest teams in the country that year). Could have landed a bigger job and would probably have been fired from there already.

Another poster has stated it but you should want your coach to leave for a better program. That means you've had success and its proven to be a launching pad job for another hungry young coach to come in. If that coach fails you can get rid of them after the initial shorter contract or better yet they could succeed and move on too. That ridiculous extension by Tim has to be one of the worst in the history of the NCAA. By the time it is over will have 15 years of ineptitude under one regime (30+ years total), no public interest, and no more new attractive arena.

What's also very disheartening is that even if by some miracle Skerry was fired tomorrow, I don't have any faith at all that Tim is qualified or competent enough to find a quality men's basketball coach.  His ability to assess and evaluate coaching talent must be called into question.  How deep is his network of coaching connections?  What would prospective coaches think of HIM as possibly being their boss?  Is he respected in the coaching world?  Ultimately, new athletic department leadership will be needed.

13 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

There are always crickets when the team is winning because you're 100% right in the fact that people in today's world would rather be negative/pessimistic about things to make themselves feel better/smarter.  I hate coming on this board when we lose because everyone is a know it all and makes it incredibly personal.  I feel like the majority of the posters would rather be right than the programs being successful. 

Personally, I’d love to be optimistic and upbeat, but when the basketball team has a winning percentage just a little above 33% for over two years now, it’s virtually impossible to be so. Doesn’t make me feel one bit smarter or better about myself when we lose. All it makes me feel is frustrated. 

I’d be happy to be wrong and the programs successful. 

Agreed on the TL part. This is his program. But thats the issue. I dont think he would be able to find a better replacement either. He needs to be held accountable. No one is taking away that Skerry hasnt brought us out of the dumps. Another 3 years of this. TL gone, hopefully the new AD comes in and applies the pressure

I truly appreciate everyone’s input and look around...  not many of us faithful left. 

I started in 91’ and so my balls are dark blue right now.  
If only we hadn’t played Florida so well earlier.  

Towson tease way too much.  

I want to Dance before I’m dead!  If making drastic changes and rolling the dice to do that is needed then I’m ready for it.  

Every single season it becomes what if...

nothing wrong with questioning the program.  

All of you..  keep posting!!  It is truly healthy for the overall discussion.  

Any thoughts to dropping the Janet Jackson song during a timeout!!??  Maybe someone will listen closely. 

Go Tigers.  Can Neal shave and suit up!?

38 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

That's called being a successful mid major, and I've been saying that for a while. Your'e a farm system. Look at JMU football, VCU hoops, UNCW (not Moss and current regime, but with Cheatin' Keatts and Brownell), NDSU football. Yes we aren't at their level but they continue the success with the next young hungry coach.  The lame excuse of "who else would want to coach there/who would we even get?"  That's bullshit, we aren't a 1-31 program playing in the towson center, or a program in the middle of bum-fuck. If you think that people wouldn't come to Towson now, what do you think of the "messiah" Skerry, when he walked into that mess?  Crazy right?

37 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I disagree. We all want them to win. If they go on a 22-0 run and make the NCAA's, I'd be happy to eat my words and would be the first on line to buy tickets to the NCAA's. Shit give Pat another a year or two. The problem is we have scene little to no progress for 5+ years now. Everything is the same, and moral among fans is low.

18 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Personally, I’d love to be optimistic and upbeat, but when the basketball team has a winning percentage just a little above 33% for over two years now, it’s virtually impossible to be so. Doesn’t make me feel one bit smarter or better about myself when we lose. All it makes me feel is frustrated. 

I’d be happy to be wrong and the programs successful. 

Come on don't live in the past. We have a 35.7% winning percentage this year.!🤣