• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds on to beat UNCW 67-60 to break streak (story up)

i get the negativity of getting rolled by N'Eastern (awful game)....and losing to HOF & COC; sucks to start 0-3.  BUT - they DID just win a league game on the road, thought there might be a few more positive notes on the game; yikes!  (like  - I  agree with this board and wished they pressed and ran more; but - pounding the opp on the boards by a dozen aint a bad thing, nor is Betrand startin to show some consistency ).    i'm starting to realize the negative-nancys aint going away til the coach (and AD) are fired or a BigDance tix gets punched; but until then (and that might be awhile as has been discussed, a lot), dont blink cause they might actually have a chance to win a few games in a row here.....  maybe someone will crack a smile or clap their hands then?                                 Bring on the Dragons ..........

I don’t understand what some here expect from other posters. For example, in my post right after the game, I complimented Betrand on his clutch foul shooting, pointed out that we won the game on the boards, and later posted that it will be interesting to see where we are after our next 4 games (Drexel, JMU & Delaware at home, Elon on the road). I also wrote that it was an aesthetically ugly game. And guess what...it was. We shot 43% from the field, 63% from the line & committed 17 turnovers. Two things (a W and an ugly game) can exist at the same time.

Seems like if you raise legit criticisms, some are quick to label you negative. 

2 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

i get the negativity of getting rolled by N'Eastern (awful game)....and losing to HOF & COC; sucks to start 0-3.  BUT - they DID just win a league game on the road, thought there might be a few more positive notes on the game; yikes!  (like  - I  agree with this board and wished they pressed and ran more; but - pounding the opp on the boards by a dozen aint a bad thing, nor is Betrand startin to show some consistency ).    i'm starting to realize the negative-nancys aint going away til the coach (and AD) are fired or a BigDance tix gets punched; but until then (and that might be awhile as has been discussed, a lot), dont blink cause they might actually have a chance to win a few games in a row here.....  maybe someone will crack a smile or clap their hands then?                                 Bring on the Dragons ..........

A win is a win. Nothing has changed with this team or program so there’s not much to say

it was great that we pounded a small and bad rebounding team on the boards. It’s what we are supposed to do. It probably should have lead to a wider margin.

consistently inconsistent

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t understand what some here expect from other posters. For example, in my post right after the game, I complimented Betrand on his clutch foul shooting, pointed out that we won the game on the boards, and later posted that it will be interesting to see where we are after our next 4 games (Drexel, JMU & Delaware at home, Elon on the road). I also wrote that it was an aesthetically ugly game. And guess what...it was. We shot 43% from the field, 63% from the line & committed 17 turnovers. Two things (a W and an ugly game) can exist at the same time.

Seems like if you raise legit criticisms, some are quick to label you negative. 

You're not what prompted my response.  Some are like the bitchy owner from Major League who wants to make sure the team tanks so she can move or sell the team.  I know it wasn't pretty and I know it wasn't against an upper echelon team but a win is a win and it was a win where they had to gut it out in the final 2 minutes, something we ALL know has not been a strength of this program in the past.  And you're right, we'll see how they build off this in a 4-game stretch that can very easily be 4-0.  But I also hoped that they'd build off the Florida performance and they didn't.  I also thought they'd build off the Tulane win after the way they choked on the lead and then pulled it out in OT.  They didn't there either.  TUTigers2012 is correct -- we're consistently inconsistent and that's the most frustrating thing about this team and really this program since the 10-1 start at the end of calendar year 2017.

And TUTigers2012, don't you dare try to loop me into that line of thinking you have about old guard people here bowing down to Skerry and Ambrose.  They're certainly not above criticism and if you cycle back to after the Hofstra game when I wrote out that long post (that you agreed with btw), that's my version of criticism.  I see zero need like some to flat out call for firings.  No decisionmakers are reading this and taking our opinions under consideration in regards to that.  So why waste the bandwidth?  I'll stick to commenting about what I see/hear on the field/court and if strategy/personnel moves need to be critiqued negatively, I'll still be jumping in to do that.  But to label me as one of those who in your mind finds those two coaches beyond reproach is wrong.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

And TUTigers2012, don't you dare try to loop me into that line of thinking you have about old guard people here bowing down to Skerry and Ambrose.  They're certainly not above criticism and if you cycle back to after the Hofstra game when I wrote out that long post (that you agreed with btw), that's my version of criticism.  I see zero need like some to flat out call for firings.  No decisionmakers are reading this and taking our opinions under consideration in regards to that.  So why waste the bandwidth?  I'll stick to commenting about what I see/hear on the field/court and if strategy/personnel moves need to be critiqued negatively, I'll still be jumping in to do that.  But to label me as one of those who in your mind finds those two coaches beyond reproach is wrong.

I call it like I see it. Just like you do. Just like 88. Just like Mat. Just like sr16. Criticism from fans, is just that, Criticism. There are always going to be fans and fan-bases that want changes and ones  that are happy. I know you can tell which ones are winning and which are not. We have been on the later too many times before.

On another note, I like Betrand's recent aggressiveness taking it to the hoop. We need more of that. Yes, we don't finish well through contact or get many calls anymore. But our odds are obviously much higher there than jacking up 3's.

A concern has been the amount of 3's taken recently. Since DC tournament we have been, 6-20, 9-31 1-11 6-19, 7-28, 5-14: 34-123= 27.6% made

2's we are 103/213 which is a decent 48.4%    37% of our shots should not be 3's.  Need better quality of 3's not the quantity. 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:32 PM, TSU88 said:

Couple thoughts-you’re correct, we won the game on the boards, with 6 players with 4 or more rebounds. Betrand was clutch at the end on the line. Fobbs is now 20-80 on the season from 3, which is 20%.  When he shoots from inside the 3-point line, he’s a 50% shooter. Our PG’s combined for 1 assist. There PG, Phillips, who we offered, scored 10 points in the 2nd half. 

20 - 80 is 25% for clarification.

Crickets when we win verification- 45 replies on the loss, 14 on the win....

• Like 1

I am definitely someone who has been posting more on losses than wins, atleast this season. Just not excited from what I see vs. earlier in non conference. Hoorah for a win against a now 0-4 team.. Ill be back if we beat Del.

Look,  the UNCW game was poorly coached and poorly executed by the players.  There are critical mistakes being made over and over again that a going to prevent this team from playing for a CAA Championship. Those things have to be corrected by PS and fast.  However, I’m most concerned about the overall Basketball IQ of the team at this point in the season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Could it be possible that there is more to say and dissect after some losses/blown leads against quality teams, rather than a close ugly win against one of the worst teams in all of college hoops? I didn't get to watch this game, had to track it on my phone, which was nerve racking at the end. Following along on Twitter is easy as you know what is happening. No recent updates= something bad is happening. HAHA. 

11 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I am definitely someone who has been posting more on losses than wins, atleast this season. Just not excited from what I see vs. earlier in non conference. Hoorah for a win against a now 0-4 team.. Ill be back if we beat Del.

Again, to both, people, myself included, complain more than celebrate. It's the way it is.  Now if we go 3-1 in the next 4, (could happen, but not likely), that'll show us something

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Obviously I wasn’t a math major

• Haha 2