• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds on to beat UNCW 67-60 to break streak (story up)

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

20 - 80 is 25% for clarification.

Crickets when we win verification- 45 replies on the loss, 14 on the win....

Do you want an extension/banner for breaking an 8 game conference losing streak Mrs. Skerry?

7 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I call it like I see it. Just like you do. Just like 88. Just like Mat. Just like sr16. Criticism from fans, is just that, Criticism. There are always going to be fans and fan-bases that want changes and ones  that are happy. I know you can tell which ones are winning and which are not. We have been on the later too many times before.

On another note, I like Betrand's recent aggressiveness taking it to the hoop. We need more of that. Yes, we don't finish well through contact or get many calls anymore. But our odds are obviously much higher there than jacking up 3's.

A concern has been the amount of 3's taken recently. Since DC tournament we have been, 6-20, 9-31 1-11 6-19, 7-28, 5-14: 34-123= 27.6% made

2's we are 103/213 which is a decent 48.4%    37% of our shots should not be 3's.  Need better quality of 3's not the quantity. 

Betrand appears to have made the freshman-to-sophomore year leap we all hear about. He averaged 4.9ppg last year, and I believe is at about 13ppg this year. He’s shooting 40% from 3, which makes him our best 3-point shooter, but, to your point, he’s driving inside the lane as well. I’m not a fan of that floater he likes; I’d prefer he just go strong to the rim (though that increases the chance of charging fouls). In any event, he’s been consistently productive in conference play thus far.

Interesting point about the disparity between our 3 point shooting % vs our 2 point %.  Fobbs is the best illustration of that, shooting 25% (see, I got it right this time 😆) from 3, but 50% from inside the 3-point line.  I guess you can’t tell him not to shoot 3’s (or can you?) but, after 16 games, I don’t think we can say, “he’ll shoot his way out of his 3-point slump.”  He’s hurting the team (as is Gibson) by jacking up 3’s that are missing 75% of the time. 

College basketball in my mind is about guard play & 3’s. Look at our 3 conference L’s-Tyson Walker (NE), Buie (Hofstra) & Riller (C of C) have killed us. One of my main criticisms, oops, I mean “concerns,” about Skerry is we NEVER have good 3-point shooting teams. And, I’ll run with this theme and say we NEVER have that guard who can take over the game. Who are the best players in the Skerry era (not in order)? Benimon, Davis, Morsell, Moto, Fobbs, Zane Martin (feel free to suggest others). Other than Zane, none of them were PG’s or SG’s (Morsell was a small forward in my opinion, just like Fobbs). 

Until we get quality 3-point shooters/quality guards, I believe our ceiling will continue to be middle of the pack in the conference. Assuming I’m right (and perhaps I’m not) the problem is I don’t believe Skerry values those types of players, or, if he does, he’s unable to successfully recruit them 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

On another note, I like Betrand's recent aggressiveness taking it to the hoop. We need more of that. Yes, we don't finish well through contact or get many calls anymore. But our odds are obviously much higher there than jacking up 3's.

A concern has been the amount of 3's taken recently. Since DC tournament we have been, 6-20, 9-31 1-11 6-19, 7-28, 5-14: 34-123= 27.6% made

2's we are 103/213 which is a decent 48.4%    37% of our shots should not be 3's.  Need better quality of 3's not the quantity. 

Good find on the 3s vs 2s stat.  I think Skerry said something at the beginning of the season about making the 3 more of a focal point in the offense.  The analytics people have often said that the 3 is a more preferable shot but what they likely didn't account for is that constantly missing them isn't gonna mean much for the analytics balance sheet.  Basketball has changed so much to being a bomber's paradise, which I don't think is all that great and you see it a lot during the NCAA Tournament -- live by the 3, die by the 3.  In our respect, we don't have anyone consistent enough to be a sniper, so this business of launching 20+ 3's per game isn't gonna be helpful.

The analytics argument, in support of launching 3’s, is something like if team A shoots 5-10 (50%) on 2’s, it scores 10 points. OTOH, if team B shoots 40% (4-10) on 3’s, it outscores team A, despite a worse shooting percentage. 

I would love to have a couple of kids on our team who could drain 3’s, even if they can’t jump out of the gym and crash the boards. While I’m dreaming, I’ll take a team that runs a functional half court offense which includes some pick and rolls and backdoor passes. 

I’m obviously in favor Of a higher scoring team. But don’t feel like we have the right personnel to chuck up a ton of 3s. Seems like we have fallen in love with them.

Of those 6 games 2 were wins and the others were semi close. Not where we are down and just tossing them up. My philosophy is the 2s open up good 3s especially when facing a zone

16 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Betrand appears to have made the freshman-to-sophomore year leap we all hear about. He averaged 4.9ppg last year, and I believe is at about 13ppg this year. He’s shooting 40% from 3, which makes him our best 3-point shooter, but, to your point, he’s driving inside the lane as well. I’m not a fan of that floater he likes; I’d prefer he just go strong to the rim (though that increases the chance of charging fouls). In any event, he’s been consistently productive in conference play thus far.

Interesting point about the disparity between our 3 point shooting % vs our 2 point %.  Fobbs is the best illustration of that, shooting 25% (see, I got it right this time 😆) from 3, but 50% from inside the 3-point line.  I guess you can’t tell him not to shoot 3’s (or can you?) but, after 16 games, I don’t think we can say, “he’ll shoot his way out of his 3-point slump.”  He’s hurting the team (as is Gibson) by jacking up 3’s that are missing 75% of the time. 

College basketball in my mind is about guard play & 3’s. Look at our 3 conference L’s-Tyson Walker (NE), Buie (Hofstra) & Riller (C of C) have killed us. One of my main criticisms, oops, I mean “concerns,” about Skerry is we NEVER have good 3-point shooting teams. And, I’ll run with this theme and say we NEVER have that guard who can take over the game. Who are the best players in the Skerry era (not in order)? Benimon, Davis, Morsell, Moto, Fobbs, Zane Martin (feel free to suggest others). Other than Zane, none of them were PG’s or SG’s (Morsell was a small forward in my opinion, just like Fobbs). 

Until we get quality 3-point shooters/quality guards, I believe our ceiling will continue to be middle of the pack in the conference. Assuming I’m right (and perhaps I’m not) the problem is I don’t believe Skerry values those types of players, or, if he does, he’s unable to successfully recruit them 

Totally agreed with his inability to let 3 point shooters work within his program.  We have a guy like Four who was unable to get open shots.  We bring in a guy like Gray who is a stretch 4 that should be able to get and make open shots to stretch the floor and its just not happening.  I am hoping these guys are starting to gel a bit more.

I've always thought PS has done a good job developing players year over year.  Looking at Bennimon from his year sitting out to his next year, Morsell, Zane, Sanders (this year) and now Betrand. 

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Totally agreed with his inability to let 3 point shooters work within his program.  We have a guy like Four who was unable to get open shots.  We bring in a guy like Gray who is a stretch 4 that should be able to get and make open shots to stretch the floor and its just not happening.  I am hoping these guys are starting to gel a bit more.

I've always thought PS has done a good job developing players year over year.  Looking at Bennimon from his year sitting out to his next year, Morsell, Zane, Sanders (this year) and now Betrand. 

That is his "offensive system" though. No one is moving or cutting with a purpose. It's lots of standing around and ball screens. We rarely screen for the screener or screen away from the ball.

Playing devils advocate, more don't develop than do.  Benimon was a beast in his sit out year. Morsell and Zane took steps forward from fresh to soph years, but they were brought along slowly and don't play many minutes as a freshman, where then the stats look better the next year when they play more. We're still looking for someone to develop into an alpha and big time scorer. It seems like they hit a ceiling after 2 years.  Now, obviously you cant judge zane and gorham because they left but. 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:11 AM, griggey20 said:

20 - 80 is 25% for clarification.

Crickets when we win verification- 45 replies on the loss, 14 on the win....

Crickets usually imply "next to nothing". Your statement contradicts itself...

A win is a win (in ugly fashion as some stated) against a poor team so nothing to boast about. Let's see if the trend from past seasons continues...