• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB drops the Dragons 89-73 (story)

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/drexel/boxscore/15042

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/1/9/mens-basketball-towson-shines-bright-in-victory-over-drexel.aspx

Wasn't even that close as the last 10 minutes became very sloppy and the Drexel made a bunch of threes to make it a little more respectable. More later with comments...

The first half and 5 of the second half was the best we have played in a long time. I’m talking since Benimon.  Got sloppy with all of the breaks in the second half. 

Whens the last time we had 2 players 20+ in a game?!  Gibson and Thompson played much better than in the past. CT had a great game and didn’t get absolutely embarrassed on defense like the past 15 games. Yes butler isn’t athletic but has some nice moves. 

Loved the passing and unselfish play in the first half. Pat yelling “stop” on a miss when we have numbers is INFURIATING. thankfully we are on the part of the season where the players don’t listen. Like dottin getting in on the defense boards. a small lineup of him Gibson fobbs ab and a big would be nice.

Drexel 2,3,5 is awful and one of the worst team on the road. Which means a good matchup for us. 

Only two negatives, fobbs ft shooting tonight. Timberlake looked out of it and was lost (putting it nicely) on defense

• Haha 1

Got to love 57% shooting for the game. Fobbs was on fire-11-16 overall, & 4-9 from 3.  Betrand with a career high 23 points, and is now averaging 18ppg in conference play. Would be nice to have a consistent 3rd scoring option. I think the closest we have is Sanders. He only scored 7 points tonight, but did grab 7 boards and had 5 assists. I thought Dottin played well too-8 points, 6 boards and 3 assists. Starting to think that we’re better off with him at point. The more I see of Gibson, the less enamored of him I am. In fairness, he’s just a freshman, so hopefully he’s got better days ahead. 

Chance to get to .500 in conference play vs Delaware Saturday afternoon. Would be nice to have a big crowd. Don’t know if the Ravens game Saturday night will impact attendance, though our game will end 4 hours before the football game starts. 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The first half and 5 of the second half was the best we have played in a long time. I’m talking since Benimon.  Got sloppy with all of the breaks in the second half. 

Whens the last time we had 2 players 20+ in a game?!  Gibson and Thompson played much better than in the past. CT had a great game and didn’t get absolutely embarrassed on defense like the past 15 games. Yes butler isn’t athletic but has some nice moves. 

Loved the passing and unselfish play in the first half. Pat yelling “stop” on a miss when we have numbers is INFURIATING. thankfully we are on the part of the season where the players don’t listen. Like dottin getting in on the defense boards. a small lineup of him Gibson fobbs ab and a big would be nice.

Drexel 2,3,5 is awful and one of the worst team on the road. Which means a good matchup for us. 

Only two negatives, fobbs ft shooting tonight. Timberlake looked out of it and was lost (putting it nicely) on defense

I agree on Thompson. He showed a nice touch close to the rim tonight I thought. 

Also agree on Timberlake. Between the games he played last season (before being redshirted) and those he’s played this season, he’s pretty much played the equivalent of 1 full season. Other than the Tulane game, he’s been underwhelming. 

Recorded this and watched it when I got home so didn’t get to join the chat. Wow was it nice to see Betrand and Fobbs both on tonight and everybody else playing their roles. Defense was tough as they have been all year. This was the max potential of this offense and we finally got to see it. 

Fobbs made shots finally and Betrand has been getting better and better each game. But the ball movement for me was huge to get these guys open lanes and easier shots. Nice to see this team produce offensively.

Still a little worried about Gibson from the 3 point line. Need to be able to hit open 3’s but otherwise it was the peak offensively I think we can be. 

Also almost every time we thew the ball forward on the pass and attacked. We scored or got s very good look. The keeping the man behind strategy by PS remains crap.  Attack, especially when you’re up. The best way to end a press is breaking it to score 

• Like 1

Comments Skerry

"Happy for our guys. I like our guys. They've been really good in practices, shooting, extra film. Told them last weekend before UNCW that they would make me look smart by March because I know we have guys that can shoot, we just didn't make a lot of shots. Tonight we did. Our defense was really good for 30 minutes. We ran a lot more sets as I tried to keep the ball in (Betrand, Fobbs) hand a little bit more. They did a good job of moving it and sharing it. Sometimes the game is just simple as making shots, you look pretty good. Our effort has been good all year. It was nice to see guys hit shots tonight."

On level of play

"I thought for 30 minutes, this was as good as we've played. Played well at Florida and against other good clubs. How close can we get to 40 minutes?"

Fobbs on shooting

"Just keep shooting the ball. Don't worry about misses. Next play. That's what I did tonight."

Skerry on sets

We added a couple, not a ton. Try to post these guys and bring them off staggered screens. We have a motion game these guys are pretty comfortable with. We're trying to track and evaluate the sets. We have to make sure we milk these guys a little bit more (Betrand, Fobbs) and the ball to Naykye. We're a deep team but we have to play through guys."

It's hard to play and coach with same intensity and focus when you get up like that. We only have nine guys on scholarship playing. They all get to play. We have to play though some guys and they have to deliver. Take good shots and making sure the ball moves.

On Charles Thompson

He works really hard. He's a good player for us. He's a guy that should probably play more but Nakye is playing at such a high level it's hard to get him in. Thought Dottin was good off the bench. He gave us some great defense and rebounded for us. 

Probably the best basketball I've seen in the Skerryball era (1st half). Fobbs was on fire and Betrand was a good second option.  Passing was good and I liked the defense and physical toughness that half. Like others have said, I am not sold on Gibson. Had some erratic possessions where he was just out of control. Saw a bit of the 2nd half and they reverted back to the same careless play I've seen over the years. Why shoot a 3 with plenty of time left on the shot clock with a big lead? This is why I do not have confidence going against better teams. Drexel could have easily made this more interesting if they hit a few more open shots. Nice win though.

First half was the best half of the season.  It certainly helped that the shots were dropping from the outside but we took smart shots, we moved the ball on offense and were getting layups and stuff at the rim, and we actually pushed the pace.  I found myself yelling at the TV after rebounds to 'GOOOOO' and beat Drexel down the court.  These guys are athletes and they look like they really wanted to run so let's not hold them back.  Tonight, it worked really well.  Betrand is looking so much better with his shot and you can see that his confidence has grown over the last month.  He and Fobbs could be a real dynamic duo the rest of the way.