• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB wins fourth straight, holds on to beat JMU 69-61

Just now, TuTigers2012 said:

Back screen?  He literally stood in the corner 3 straight possessions. We over rotated. He was wide open. 

They did something to get him open. I couldn't tell exactly. That was terrible defense I admit and on the coaches for not adjusting. But they did something to get him open. Sorry, I'm not on the floor to see that.

Good win streak going on. Have to give props but we've seen this trend before. Let's see how we execute on the road. Maybe we can erase those demons from past seasons...

19 hours ago, mat1992 said:

They did something to get him open. I couldn't tell exactly. That was terrible defense I admit and on the coaches for not adjusting. But they did something to get him open. Sorry, I'm not on the floor to see that.

It was losing the man and over rotating. Simple as that. He was their only person out there scoring and leaving him is inexcusable. Good thing it didn’t cost us. 

Love that we have guys hitting fts. 

Wish sanders had a floater, gets stuck between little jumper and drive where he comes up short or under the hoop to far

I'm inclined to believe this streak is a bit of "fool's gold". 

It's always great to win and I give the guys credit for finding ways to pull out the W's.  However, we could win out the rest of the year, go 22-9 on the regular season and wind up laying an egg in the CAA Tournament and be left with NOTHING to show for a respectable season...….yet again.  I don't trust Skerry coached teams.  Until he proves otherwise, I don't think Skerry knows how to win when it really matters.

Please, please, please, make me eat crow, Pat.

50 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

It's always great to win and I give the guys credit for finding ways to pull out the W's.  However, we could win out the rest of the year, go 22-9 on the regular season and wind up laying an egg in the CAA Tournament and be left with NOTHING to show for a respectable season...….yet again.  I don't trust Skerry coached teams.  Until he proves otherwise, I don't think Skerry knows how to win when it really matters.

Yeah or we could not win a game the rest of the regular season. And win the tournament. It’s the same every year. Skerry cycle. 

I’m not a skerry fan but anything can happen. Depth if we can make it to the finals certainly helps 

I'm just going to go with my inclination and look at this team, which really has nothing to do with the past. Last year's team was effed as soon as Zane left. This year's team, as I said from the get-go, is better. How much better? Maybe a little, maybe a lot. We didn't have much depth on last year's team, Betrand was a freshman and we had two seniors who didn't contribute much offensively. Has DT turned into AT? It's kind of trending that way but he's never been a big scorer. I can't explain why he's declined this season.

If you can't beat the top four teams, you are stuck in the middle as Gerry Rafferty once (sort of) said. Winning four games against Division I teams is a positive. I don't know you can call it anything but. But being realistic, can you keep it going? Do you have the mental toughness to overcome a deficit and hold on to a big lead? At least they held the big lead on Saturday. They've beaten the teams good teams are supposed to beat. They lost to teams bad teams are supposed to lose to. A loss to Elon would change that. A win over W&M would change the other narrative.

To me, this team really is more predictable and now needs to take it up a notch.

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Maybe so but I’d be much happier watching winning basketball then what we were watching before! Team is offensively is having runs where they weren’t before and the defense has been pretty good (even in losses) all year. Be interesting to see when close games happen how we handle them from here on. Need to prove that and I will be more optimistic for the CAA tourney. Again though, winning is much more fun to watch so flosports has me for a little longer.