• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
sr16

TIGERS @ W&M

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

W&M had 1100 students at the game today. They also had a nice promotion, where their HC pledged a donation of $5 per student to cancer research. 

Now, with the momentum we’ve got, and our students back on campus (I believe spring semester starts this Monday) why can’t we get 500 students on Thursday night? Frankly, I’d like to see 1,000 students, but I’d settle for 500. If we can’t get a big turnout Thursday (and Saturday, assuming we win Thursday) I for one will be sorely disappointed 

We'd have to bribe them to get there. I'd take 500 students but it's on a Thursday night. We'll be lucky to get 2,000 overall because we'll probably get a big crowd on Saturday for Autism Day. Last year, we drew 2,055 against Drexel, which wasn't bad considering neither team was good. Unfortunately, that became our last win of the season though it was later in the season (Feb. 16). 

I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect to see a huge difference with students on campus. We've seen all the excuses. It's snowing, it's raining, it's too late, too dark, too light, too early, middle of the week, it's UNCW (though hot lately). Just a jaded fan but if we can improve our attendance in football, why not in hoops. Part of the problem is the mini-mester. A huge issue. Then you start out with home losses to Kent State, later on to NE and Hofstra. Would love to see the students turn out for this. If not, we need to fill that lower bowl and get non-students to show up that have season tix.

How many students live on campus, 5-6K? 500 students attending Thursday night would only require 10% of those who live on campus to show up.

You’re right about the litany of excuses, but I don’t want to hear it this time. Marketing department, just do it!!!

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

How many students live on campus, 5-6K? 500 students attending Thursday night would only require 10% of those who live on campus to show up.

You’re right about the litany of excuses, but I don’t want to hear it this time. Marketing department, just do it!!!

Kids don't care. Again, you have to bribe them. Give them 500 shirts or something just to get them there. Free pizza. We probably have 10,000 students living within a mile or so radius. They do come to football games or at least the tailgate.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

W&M had 1100 students at the game today. They also had a nice promotion, where their HC pledged a donation of $5 per student to cancer research. 

Now, with the momentum we’ve got, and our students back on campus (I believe spring semester starts this Monday) why can’t we get 500 students on Thursday night? Frankly, I’d like to see 1,000 students, but I’d settle for 500. If we can’t get a big turnout Thursday (and Saturday, assuming we win Thursday) I for one will be sorely disappointed 

Don’t assume. But let’s get students and current Athletes out.  Some promo should get them out.  Books for a semester for the loudest row.  Anything  

14 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Kids don't care. Again, you have to bribe them. Give them 500 shirts or something just to get them there. Free pizza. We probably have 10,000 students living within a mile or so radius. They do come to football games or at least the tailgate.

Bribe them once (especially the fraternities) and hopefully it’s a good game with good environment where people have a good time. Then some come back. Do this once or twice a year and you hopefully build a student fan base. They need to make sure the game experience is on point, players need to get up for it, and no long ass line for concessions.  

1 hour ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

Bribe them once (especially the fraternities) and hopefully it’s a good game with good environment where people have a good time. Then some come back. Do this once or twice a year and you hopefully build a student fan base. They need to make sure the game experience is on point, players need to get up for it, and no long ass line for concessions.  

Only so much you can do with concessions. They opened three in the last game and maybe they can add one more worker, but if hundreds of people come out for halftime and you have three stands open, not much can be done. Now maybe selling something through the stands (people would probably trip) or sell something like drinks outside of the stands in a portable stand or something might help a little. 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Only so much you can do with concessions. They opened three in the last game and maybe they can add one more worker, but if hundreds of people come out for halftime and you have three stands open, not much can be done. Now maybe selling something through the stands (people would probably trip) or sell something like drinks outside of the stands in a portable stand or something might help a little. 

There has to be more that they can do. If that was the case then if we do fill the arena, nobody will ever come back because of how poor the concessions and bathroom lines would be. We are only getting 2,000 right now. What if we had 4,000 to a sell out? That should not be a problem and they have to fix it otherwise it looks very bush league and pathetic. 

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

People can also do better job on just going at a tv time out.. but a beverage cart/stand would help