• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB wins sixth straight with 70-58 win over W&M (story up)

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=282055

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/1/25/towson-mens-basketball-takes-down-first-place-w-m-to-increase-win-streak-to-six-games.aspx

Now 6-3 in the CAA. Unreal win today. Was certainly worried when the Tribe cut the lead to two and Nathan Knight was coming off the bench with four fouls. We didn't an excellent job on Knight, who had 20 points in 26 minutes, but had to work for all of them. Went 1 for 5 from three and 6 for 15 from the field. Thompson, Sanders, and Tunstall all did a solid job on him. I thought Sanders kept him out of the paint for the most part, but then he picked up his third and fourth foul in the second half, but Knight picked up his fourth before that. I thought we could take advantage of it but Andy Van Vliet kept them in it with some good passes and a few nice shots. But he was held to just 10 points and six boards.

That's the team. Two big guys and if you slow one of them down, you have a shot.

But the story of the game was Jason Gibson with a career-high 21 points in 35 minutes. I think he wore down some because Jakigh Dottin apparently was sick according to Pat Skerry after the game. Gibson also had two big steals, but more importantly, just one turnover in 35 minutes. A 31-24 rebounding advantage sounds impressive, but it's more impressive when you think that W&M is one of the best rebounding teams in the CAA thanks to the arrival of Van Vliet (9rpg) and Knight (10.5rpg).

So, I'm not going to start a pissing contest, because I've pretty much seen it all in 30 years. I wasn't sure if that was a championship-caliber team, but then you see today's results and UNCW beating Charleston on the road and Delaware beating Northeastern on the road (big comeback) and it's anybody's game.  

And as Skerry said in the postgame, we need fans here at SECU on Thursday. No excuses. The 1989-90 team will be celebrated. If you are in the area and lived through that era or just want to see a red-hot team, come out. Kurk Lee, Devin Boyd, Chuck Lightening, Lewis Waller and Kelly Williamson are confirmed to be there.

What a great win. I didn’t think this team had it in them falling to 0-3 and trailing late at Uncw. Boy am I happy to be wrong. 

Tribe were 7-0 at home this year and had won 11 straight going back to last year m. Second game in 2 days on the road in front of a good crowd today.  Workman’s game today.  Keep it going and hopefully now we have 4 consistent scorers!

• Like 1

I don't know if we have four consistent scorers, but Sanders, Gibson, and Gray can put up double digits on any given night and two guys are usually around the 16 point mark. The rest of the guys are role players. Sanders had 9 and 6 in 20 minutes. That's fine with me. He doesn't need to get 20 and 10 and he's really not capable. But he's the best passing big man we've had since Benimon. I never thought I would compare him to JB, but I did.

Sanders is a good interior option who has to be defended.  Last year it was fobbs and maybe Howard?  I’m just saying there is more to guard now. 

Sucks about the 30th anniversary team being on a thurs.  probably should have had it last Saturday?  Autism game Saturday and then senior day for Saturday’s. 

Biggest W in the Skerry era, IMHO. That’s W&M’s 1st home L all season. Obvious majors kudos to Gibson. Wow, what a game he had, with the scoring & lack of TO’s. Nice job by our inside guys in out rebounding W& M & holding their twin towers to 30 combined points. You touched on a key-get one of them in foul trouble. Great job on D in making them chuck up contested 3’s, resulting in them shooting like 20% on 3’s for the game. 

Betrand & Fobbs continue to be good for about 35 points a night. Really good to see Gibson & Sanders as viable options to help ease the load on the big 2.

Very pleased to see us hold onto a lead at the end on the road in front of a large crowd.

Students are back on campus, as spring semester starts Monday. With the momentum we’re on, we really need to market the hell out of these upcoming home games. Let’s get 3K+ and let’s get a boatload of students. 

Helluva win! I thought Gibson could be special down the road. And Betrand keeps stepping up. I thought we had a shot today, seems we’ve had some big wins down there. Wish I wasn’t 5+ hours away, would love to see the guys from ‘89-90. If Kurk doesn’t go 1-12 or whatever against Lafayette, we would’ve gone 3 yrs in a row.

I know some on this board we're elated and some skeptical when we signed Gibson. I really liked that he was a pass-first point guard, but he's turned into a confident, if not cocky scorer. Which is fine. He probably should have had 2 or 3 more assists tonight (had just one), but to me, this is the biggest development we've had in our program in a very long time. Having a young point guard that could be a really good one down the line. Sure, he might score 5 points in the next game, but he takes care of the ball. His shooting numbers don't look good overall, but they were much better than a month ago.

And Betran, Fobbs, Gibson and Gray all shoot over 80% from the line. Good teams can hit FTs in the end of the game. Even though we missed a couple today, still 14 of 19 is 74%. That's the sign of a good team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLXballer said:

Helluva win! I thought Gibson could be special down the road. And Betrand keeps stepping up. I thought we had a shot today, seems we’ve had some big wins down there. Wish I wasn’t 5+ hours away, would love to see the guys from ‘89-90. If Kurk doesn’t go 1-12 or whatever against Lafayette, we would’ve gone 3 yrs in a row.

I didn't know about that Lafayette game. I guess that was ECC finals in 1989? I think I watched that on TV but didn't remember that. I arrived for the 1989-90 season as a transfer. For those who don't know, we were hosting the ECC Tournament at the Towson Center and that placed rocked. Won the last ECC in 1992 at UMBC, but they didn't have an automatic bid. Boyd still the best point guard we ever had and Lee or Gary Neal, take your pick at the two guard spot. Lee gets the slight edge because we went to the NCAA's.

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Sanders is a good interior option who has to be defended.  Last year it was fobbs and maybe Howard?  I’m just saying there is more to guard now. 

Sucks about the 30th anniversary team being on a thurs.  probably should have had it last Saturday?  Autism game Saturday and then senior day for Saturday’s. 

Not disagreeing. We had Howard and Fobbs. That was it. Sander's numbers aren't that much better than last year, but he's just a better player and for the most part, staying out of foul trouble. Maybe playing more minutes helps his numbers (obviously). Betrand probably should have played more last season but whatever. Last year was a transition year with Zane leaving. 

Timberlake is kind of the wild card. I still think the kid doesn't realize how good he can be. Sometimes, he just stays on the perimeter and jacks up shots. Needs to move better without the ball. Get to the basket somehow. He's bigger and more athletic than most of the two guards in this league save for maybe JMU's guards (nice loss to Elon today).