• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB wins sixth straight with 70-58 win over W&M (story up)

6 minutes ago, FLXballer said:

Mat, Lafayette beat us in the semi’s, maybe OT or a one pt loss. Then the Leopards lost to Bucknell. Still hurts

I was lucky to witness all three ECC tournament titles. That's probably why I'm here today. I just vaguely remember seeing John Bayes on TV, but knowing nothing about the team. 

If Timberlake can get in transition and cut some more he will be very dangerous.  With all being said fobbs betrand Timberlake And dottin are 4 above average to good defending guards. 

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

If Timberlake can get in transition and cut some more he will be very dangerous.  With all being said fobbs betrand Timberlake And dottin are 4 above average to good defending guards. 

Betrand made a huge jump from his freshman to sophomore season. Next season, I think he could move to the 3 (or maybe Mims) to replace Fobbs. Starting Nick off the bat at the 2 after another year of getting stronger and improving, could give him a similar boost. He does make some head-scratching plays and then Pat takes him out (had to in a game like this). Like trying to dribble behind his back and hitting his leg or losing his man on the backdoor. I think it's all mental with him and when the game slows down for him, like it's starting to do for AB, he can be pretty good. I still think Pat adds one more scorer to go along with Mims, Darrick Jones and Corey Barnes.

1 hour ago, FLXballer said:

Helluva win! I thought Gibson could be special down the road. And Betrand keeps stepping up. I thought we had a shot today, seems we’ve had some big wins down there. Wish I wasn’t 5+ hours away, would love to see the guys from ‘89-90. If Kurk doesn’t go 1-12 or whatever against Lafayette, we would’ve gone 3 yrs in a row.

I said very similar things About Gibson early in the season.  Sure he’s had some down moments.  But he’s a freshman and being ssked to carry the load at PG.  i see him doing nothing but progressing over the next couple years.  

Very good win.  Not many saw this streak coming just three weeks ago.  Including myself honestly.  I felt they would get better, but might have seen more like 3-3 or possibly 4-2 coming. 

• Like 1

Believe I heard it correctly from Spiros in the postgame.  That was the 5th straight conference win by 8 or more points by Towson..  never ever done before. 

Look the postgame celebration in the locker room via Instagram says it all. 

I love being proved wronged and keep doing it to us team.  Play with that chip on your shoulders.   Why can’t we dance come March!!??

Fun listen today as I thought when it was cut to 2 we were in big trouble.  

And last thing..  can we recruit another Philly!!??  Davis and now AB..  they come to play!!!

• Like 2

off topic, but apparently Wm coach did a 5 dollar per each student donation today to coaches vs cancer. They had over 1000 show up.  Kudos to them. 

Saturday, Pat can you match that for autism awareness?!  It’s for a great cause and if we can win on Thursday it would create an awesome atmosphere    

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Believe I heard it correctly from Spiros in the postgame.  That was the 5th straight conference win by 8 or more points by Towson..  never ever done before. 

Look the postgame celebration in the locker room via Instagram says it all. 

I love being proved wronged and keep doing it to us team.  Play with that chip on your shoulders.   Why can’t we dance come March!!??

Fun listen today as I thought when it was cut to 2 we were in big trouble.  

And last thing..  can we recruit another Philly!!??  Davis and now AB..  they come to play!!!

Yeah, I mentioned it in this thread or another thread about five straight wins with 8 or more points in conference. It's beyond crazy that it's never happened before but it shows you how bad we've been over the last 25 years.

As for Philly, sure, keep them coming, though Zane Martin is also from Philly so....

A freshman grew up today.  I think we all have seen glimmers of Gibson's potential throughout the season but one aspect or another wasn't working out, most of the time it being his shot.  But today, that shot was falling and he became  not just the #3 scorer that we've been getting to complement Fobbs and Betrand but he became THE crucial scorer.  The distribution will come but today, we needed that scoring.  Such an impressive job by the whole team to get off to that fast start and to get out on shooters and contest the 3-point line.  Often, we've shook our heads in disgust at the number of 3's that opponents hit against us.  Today, the opponents were the ones frustrated.  When you're playing a team that you might be a bit overmatched by (Knight and Van Vliet being that mismatch), you need them to shoot poorly and you need to shoot well for it to go your way.  We got that today.  

So as we hit the halfway point of the conference season, we're tied for 2nd.  You could have gotten some really nice Vegas odds after the 3rd game of the conference season that we'd be in this spot.  As mentioned earlier, they're doing it in many different ways and they've done well to adjust to the different styles that they've faced.  The results from the rest of the conference over the last week or so shows that there's no invincible team and no invincible home court.  Currently, we're the hottest team around and that desperately needs to continue with this week's homestand.  Again, as I see it, take it game by game.  It seems the players are getting more and more confident and I think that little Club Dub fun on Insta shows that mentally, they've really got the positive vibes brewing.  

Now, here's the challenge for those of you in the Athletic Department and especially, the Marketing people.  You've got the students finally back on campus (gosh, I loved minimester) and you have the hottest team in conference playing a pair of home games this week.  You have an anniversary celebration for the first NCAA Tournament team in school history.  Get your asses out there on campus this week and spread the word like wildfire that there's a game on Thursday night and we need the place loud and packed.  If we have crap crowds for these two upcoming games, that's a giant failure for the department as a whole.

• Thanks 2