• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB wins seventh straight; takes out UNCW 77-66

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=282554

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/1/30/mens-basketball-seventh-heaven-balanced-tigers-subdue-uncw.aspx

Not a pretty win but we were probably spoiled by the dominant home wins over Drexel and Delaware. I was a bit worried about a letdown and the only things that were negatives were free throw shooting (19 of 30) and turnovers (13). But they made up for that by going 10 of 20 from beyond the arc. And UNCW's defense is not half bad. They press full court, they trap you. They did a good job of taking away Fobbs. Would like to see Betrand get a little more involved.

But comments will come later. Just wanted to thank Mike Gathagan, for the great job he did in putting that halftime show together. Never easy getting these guys back after 30 years. Kurk Lee was supposed to come and pulled out the last second. That was disappointing, though not surprising. Got to catch up with some of the guys after the game, including superstar managers Brian Winfield and Ira Malkin. I should have some pictures up or videos on my Twitter feed. Not sure how to put them up here. I'll link it when I get them up there.

More comments later.

Only blemish on the evening was Kurk Lee being MIA. He would have gotten a massive ovation, I would think. Was his absence tied to some bitterness over the fact we didn’t recruit his kid?

Anyway, if you told me before the game that Fobbs & Betrand would only combine for what, I think 21 points, I’d have said “uh-oh,” but this really was a team effort. Sanders with the double-double, Tunstall with 1 of his best games this year, Gray drained a few 3’s & Dottin 2-2 from 3!  Timberlake was 4-6 from the field-when he gets out on the break, it can be highlight reel time. Mat has said it before, but with his athleticism, he should drive more & shoot less 3’s (though he did drain at least 1 tonight). Then there’s Gibson with 6 assists. 

Anybody know what the attendance was tonight? Good student turnout & good atmosphere in the lower bowl.

This sets up a huge game Saturday vs C of C, in front of what should be a large, and hopefully raucous, crowd. Let’s get 8 in a row!! 

Skerry opening comment:

Good team win. Wilmington is playing really well. Hard team to play against. Rob Brooks is doing a very good job. Changing defenses. They play hard. They're fast. Our defense is what carries us and our offense tells us by how many (typical in this streak). I thought Nick, I don't think the numbers do him justice. Every big bucket and big rebound. Nakye was a monster on the backboards. 

On bench

They're all playing a lot. They all could play a lot more. Guys have sacrificed. I probably didn't play Nick enough at W&M. He had a terrific week of practice. For a freshman to  step up big, it shows you how hard he worked. Had a great game.

On UNCW

We spent a lot of time on some stuff. I probably didn't do a good enough job getting ready for some things. They make it hard on you. Credit to them.

On three-point shooting

I thought we would shoot more threes coming into the season. We are capable of that. Credit to our guys, that we haven't settled all year. That team (UNCW) wants you to shoot all threes. We didn't shoot quick threes. We took open rhythm threes and there's a difference.

Nakye 

It was just as big as W&M. We play every game like it's the Super Bowl. They came out and played aggressively early but we were ready for it. He (Skerry) felt we weren't ready. (Skerry said I was wrong).

Nick on his legs

I'd like to think so (that he's getting stronger). I have a chip on my shoulder.  

Pat on free throws

We were shooting 81% on the year. I have great confidence in our guys making foul shots. They are not free. The biggest issue was that we had a couple of careless turnovers. Thankfully, they weren't live ball turnovers.

We've had an unselfish group all year. You don't get assists if you don't make shots. I thought the ball movement was good. Found a lot of guys open.

On crowd

Good crowd. I would expect an even better crowd on Saturday for a heavyweight bout.

Nakye on three-point shooting

It opens up everything on the court. They start looking for me more, because they know they are going to get the ball back.

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Only blemish on the evening was Kurk Lee being MIA. He would have gotten a massive ovation, I would think. Was his absence tied to some bitterness over the fact we didn’t recruit his kid?

Anyway, if you told me before the game that Fobbs & Betrand would only combine for what, I think 21 points, I’d have said “uh-oh,” but this really was a team effort. Sanders with the double-double, Tunstall with 1 of his best games this year, Gray drained a few 3’s & Dottin 2-2 from 3!  Timberlake was 4-6 from the field-when he gets out on the break, it can be highlight reel time. Mat has said it before, but with his athleticism, he should drive more & shoot less 3’s (though he did drain at least 1 tonight). Then there’s Gibson with 6 assists. 

Anybody know what the attendance was tonight? Good student turnout & good atmosphere in the lower bowl.

This sets up a huge game Saturday vs C of C, in front of what should be a large, and hopefully raucous, crowd. Let’s get 8 in a row!! 

He was bitter before his kid got to Drexel. You know how cool it must have been for everyone on that court to get a nice ovation? But I don't want to dwell on Kurk not being there. I was glad to see Jim Meil come. I'm sure he has mixed emotions as a long-time assistant, who was let go twice and never really got a chance to be the head coach.

As for Nick, his corner threes aren't bad. When he shoots it in rhythm. When he pulls up for that mid-range shot and double clutches, it rarely goes in, though he did make one in the second half. Defensively, he seemed to be a bit late on a couple of threes and gave up a drive late in the game. But he does rebound and that bounce is something. Could only imagine how much better he would be if forced a few more turnovers.

Attendance was a little over 2,100.

I know, I'll definitely keep my day job when it comes to posting videos and pix, but I have some from tonight's ceremony for those oldsters who didn't make it. I put up a weak-ass video as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 in a row!!  I want Tampa..  dance game and spring training!!

Sometimes transferring pays off...  I watched a horrible USD team tonight. Gray must be thrilled to be out of there. Jenny Craig Pavillon makes SECU look like Cameron...  what a ghost town. 

Happy for Spiro..  he calls a great game and his snide remarks about officials from game to game are so enjoyable.  

Wish I could be there this weekend. I miss Towson so damn much.  Please please understand despite our basketball struggles through the years...  that is such a great place to live.  Very very special.  

Go Tigers.  

This one was U_G_L_Y!  Glad they came out with the win, showed resolve. But you could tell in warmups that they weren't into this game and it showed.  UNCW plays hard for their new coach (who seems like an awesome guy and the ultimate players coach). Loved how they had a set play to start the game, screen for the alley oop. 

Felt like we played hard in stretches and not in others. Against a good team, this is a bad recipe. Defense needs to improve and they need to through the kitchen sink at Riller tomorrow. FT shooting and defense were big let downs. Glad we crashed the boards against a smaller team. Can someone explain why we have Fobbs on the opposite side on the press?? Whenever he breaks it he going right and cant finish right...?

Crowd was pretty big and semi into it. Kudos to marketing.  Both gates were open and all 3 concession stands.

BIG game tomorrow. Need everyone to come out!

8 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Happy for Spiro..  he calls a great game and his snide remarks about officials from game to game are so enjoyable.  

That makes one of us. Would like to have a color guy now that Vince doesn't do it. Anything to drown out the blatant homerism. Yes, everyone kill me for it. Also wasn't/not a fan of Tom Judge when he did/fill ins for PA. Sorry everyone!

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

He was bitter before his kid got to Drexel. You know how cool it must have been for everyone on that court to get a nice ovation? But I don't want to dwell on Kurk not being there. I was glad to see Jim Meil come. I'm sure he has mixed emotions as a long-time assistant, who was let go twice and never really got a chance to be the head coach.

At the end of the day he went to school here and its a shame some don't have pride in their alma mater and program. It's nice seeing the recent guys come back to games..

We are trying to run a D1 program, not a charity.