• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Delaware 84-78 (story)

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=278237

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=278237

Towson lost their second game in a row and Delaware won their fifth straight as the Hens beat the Tigers 84-78 on Thursday night from Newark. Towson was down the entire game, falling behind as much as 15 in the first half and 10 at halftime. They started out strong in the second half and then fell behind by 15 once again. Then they went small down the stretch with Brian Fobbs at power forward and got the lead down to 3, but could never get over the hump.

Delaware shot 13 of 27 from three-point range and Towson had no answer for Nate Darling. He had 34 points and hit seven threes. This is becoming a theme with Towson in conference play. They had no answer for Grant Riller twice, gave up 35 points to Desuire Buie in the first Hofstra matchup. Brian Fobbs is a decent defender, but he's not an all-CAA defender. You can only put some much effort into both ends of the floor. Allen Betrand has the length and strength to be a good defender and he's close, but seems to lose focus at times.

But one thing this team did was fight in the second half. Betrand appeared to twist his ankle on a layup and after limping off, came back and had a career-high 23 points on 9-of-14 shooting. He had just seven in the first half, while Fobbs had 19. Nick Timberlake had 11, including a couple of big plays late in the game. Towson made 12 of 26 from the three-point line but in the first half, they were 4 of 14. 

Other than the defensive issues, the froncourt struggled. Nakye Sanders, Dennis Tunstall and Juwan Gray combined for 13 points and nine rebounds.

Here are some comments on the postgame on TSN:

Skerry
"Give them credit. Like the way we fought back. Our defense wasn't there, not in the first half. A lot of guys weren't ready to play early. That's on me and on my staff. We have to be alert. We went small to get back in the game, but it's not who we are. The effort was good late. We're not supposed to give up. Appreciate the effort. We had them back on the ropes, don't come up with long rebounds. Brian took a bad three. Bad three. Good effort. Told them at the half that 50% of our shots were from three. That's not the formula for us. Nick and Allen played well. Young guys came up big. We got nothing out of the four spot. Dennis and Juwan were not remotely ready to play tonight. That's disappointing. Darling destroyed us. Couldn't guard him. That's disappointing. Good crowd here. Dug ourselves a hole early. Use timeouts early in the game. "

On Drexel
"If we don't guard better, we're not going to win on Saturday. I thought we cracked. Some finger-pointing in the first half. Still not enough sharp plays in tight situations. Nakye dribbling, then we had to call a timeout. Gibby a bad turnover. It's on me. Let's not deviate from that. To win this league, we have to make sure we're not deviating from that. Just didn't get over the hump."

This team is not as bad as they were when they were 0-3, but not as good as they were when they went 7-0. No excuse for not showing up tonight in front of a big crowd on national TV. The Hens were ripe to be beaten in the second half and then we started walking the ball up the court. I don't get it. I know Skerry said small ball is not who we are because you're not playing with a true power forward. But I kind of liked that. We pushed the ball and Timberlake is just so damn good in the open floor. When he gets transition baskets, it builds confidence for him. Anytime he's in the game and Dottin as well, we should push it off of misses. In fact, we should...Ok, I won't say the "P" word because it ain't happening unless we're down.

Bottom line is that this team can defend well at times, but we get hurt by great players. You can't stop a Darling when he's on fire, making contested shots. But in the first half, everybody was open. From Darling to Allen to Anderson. So they got more confidence and even Painter was hitting threes. I know Skerry is furious with his bigs. They gave very little. Sanders was the best big and well, he Sandered it with five fouls and nearly another dreadful turnover where he tries to dribble it by himself. Gray is usually good defensively and he struggled. I didn't even know Tunstall was out there in 12 minutes. He missed a chip shot early and should have dunked that and had one put back. He was M.I.A. For the most part, he's been playing much better but not tonight.

Drexel will be tough up there. They are so good at home and so bad on the road. Delaware is a better team right now. They are just feeling it on offense, especially the way Darling is playing. A loss to Drexel and we're going to need to split against Northeastern and Hofstra on the road. You go 0-fer there and then you have to beat JMU on the road and sweep Elon and W&M at home. Going 3-4 in the final 7 isn't what you want. But I would take 10-8 right now. That should be good enough to get 5th or 6th.

Until we have a coach that plays to his personnel. More of the same. We are to athletic and deep to play passive on defense with no pressure. And to not press and spread it out. 

When they spread it out and play loose we score.  Running nothing for 20 seconds and then running horns has not worked since Benimon and won’t work.  Why did we shoot 14 threes in the first half?! Against an average and lose footed Delaware team. And most of them were Tunstall and gray threes (man that dude couldn’t shoot his way out of a paper bag) Bay Area I thought you said he was good?! 

Need 2 wins against d1 teams to avoid the play in game. Will it happen?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Until we have a coach that plays to his personnel. More of the same. We are to athletic and deep to play passive on defense with no pressure. And to not press and spread it out. 

When they spread it out and play loose we score.  Running nothing for 20 seconds and then running horns has not worked since Benimon and won’t work.  Why did we shoot 14 threes in the first half?! Against an average and lose footed Delaware team. And most of them were Tunstall and gray threes (man that dude couldn’t shoot his way out of a paper bag) Bay Area I thought you said he was good?! 

Need 2 wins against d1 teams to avoid the play in game. Will it happen?

I would like three wins. If we can't beat JMU and Elon, well, we belong in the play-in game unless we steal a win up North or get a win Saturday, which is certainly possible. I like the fight that this team has, but what I don't like is the awful start. 

I give up on the "P" Word. It's not his style. He just won't press, but I agree, you can do other things in the halfcourt to force turnovers like trap. Even Delaware forced some turnovers by double-teaming Fobbs and Sanders a few times. We double on the hedge, but that doesn't really do much.

Why did we shoot 14 threes in the first half? We settled. It wasn't part of the gameplan and I think once we got behind by double-digits, we completely went against our style. Gray started the season off strong from three and the more minutes he's played, the worse he's looked from beyond the arc. To be honest, he's been another disappointing transfer, just like Sanders was last year. But if we played more uptempo and pressured the ball some, Gray would thrive. He's not a low-post bruiser. He's a finesse, face-the-basket combo forward. But he has to play because Tunstall doesn't give you anything on offense and isn't do much on the other end of the floor. Not consistently anyway. He's had some good games lately, but not tonight.

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I would like three wins. If we can't beat JMU and Elon, well, we belong in the play-in game unless we steal a win up North or get a win Saturday, which is certainly possible. I like the fight that this team has, but what I don't like is the awful start. 

I give up on the "P" Word. It's not his style. He just won't press, but I agree, you can do other things in the halfcourt to force turnovers like trap. Even Delaware forced some turnovers by double-teaming Fobbs and Sanders a few times. We double on the hedge, but that doesn't really do much. Why did we shoot 14 threes in the first half? We settled. Gray started the season off strong from three and the more minutes he's played, the worse he's looked from beyond the arc. To be honest, he's been another disappointing transfer, just like Sanders was last year. But if we played more uptempo and pressured the ball some, Gray would thrive. He's not a low-post bruiser. He's a finesse, face-the-basket combo forward. But he has to play because Tunstall doesn't give you anything on offense and isn't do much on the other end of the floor. Not consistently anyway. He's had some good games lately, but not tonight.

No against threes but it needs to be the right people taking them. Gray shuffled his feet on corner threes every time and looks hesitant. One could be causing the other but what’s the staff doing and a great 3 shooter doing to correct that?

i like the smaller lineup and even Bertrand handling it and make plays. 

Helping off of Allen and darling is just idiotic. I’ll blame the players for that because I can’t believe the staff is dumb enough to tell them to help on a driver and leave shooters. 

Also 67-64 game with 3 left Brian takes an awful 3 pointer on a 3 on 3. Had momentum instead of driving it or getting a good look we settle for that garbage early in the shot clock. The basketball IQ from pat down to the players on this team is poor. And that’s me being nice. 

10 years of players and they all are the same?! Hmm 🤔 

• Like 2

Please ask him about pressing at a press conference.  You can tell him that board keeps asking about it.  He recruits athletes, but he doesn't leverage their talents.  It's like buying a Ferrari and then putting a 55 mph speed governor on it.  

I do agree the team is doing much better than when they started 0-3.  Something has changed on offense.  Much more pick and rolls, off-ball movement, give and go's.  This team is sharper on offense than they were a month ago.  Now if they could only run more and press from time to time, we've got a good chance to make a run this year.  

I thought we played a good game.  Delaware seemed to get every loose ball, they got some long rebounds, they were red hot from 3, but we were in this game.  I had thought we would only win 4-5 conference games after we started 0-3, but think we have showed improvement throughout the year (that's a bit unusual for Skerry teams).  Lastly, props to Betrand.  He has been outstanding all year.  Tough as nails.  Great game - can drive, can create his own shot and can shoot it.  I'm really excited with him and Gibson together for at least 2 more years after this year.   

7 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Please ask him about pressing at a press conference.  You can tell him that board keeps asking about it.  He recruits athletes, but he doesn't leverage their talents.  It's like buying a Ferrari and then putting a 55 mph speed governor on it.  

I do agree the team is doing much better than when they started 0-3.  Something has changed on offense.  Much more pick and rolls, off-ball movement, give and go's.  This team is sharper on offense than they were a month ago.  Now if they could only run more and press from time to time, we've got a good chance to make a run this year.  

I thought we played a good game.  Delaware seemed to get every loose ball, they got some long rebounds, they were red hot from 3, but we were in this game.  I had thought we would only win 4-5 conference games after we started 0-3, but think we have showed improvement throughout the year (that's a bit unusual for Skerry teams).  Lastly, props to Betrand.  He has been outstanding all year.  Tough as nails.  Great game - can drive, can create his own shot and can shoot it.  I'm really excited with him and Gibson together for at least 2 more years after this year.   

You must be new here. We always suck to start caa play. Always get better. Shot improvement.  Peak and then suck at the end. But welcome!

we didn’t play hard. If we did we would get lose balls and rebound. Instead of 4 guys staring at a ball bounce 3 times in the paint out to the 3 point line. 3 seniors and a 4th year junior. But yet ZERO leadership and accountability. A hell of a lot of sulking, bad body language and finger pointing. “The Skerry Years”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1