• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Betrand leads MBB over Drexel 76-69

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=285378

Allen Betrand scored a career-high 31 points and helped Towson defeat Drexel 76-69 from Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers were down by 7 at the half (shot just 11 of 30), but shot 52% from the half led by Betrand, who had 20 points in the second half. Towson also shot 20 of 23 from the line and they outrebounded Drexel by 6. Fobbs added 19 points for the Tigers, while Camren Wynter led the Dragons with 24.

Towson had to go small early and often today due to early foul troubles from Dennis Tunstall and Nakye Sanders. They also had to play without Juwan Gray (hand) was out of action today. So the Tigers had just eight scholarship players. With Delaware's 80-78 win over JMU, Towson is in 5th place at 8-5, while Drexel is 6-6 and in sixth place. They are a 1/2 game up on Northeastern (5-6), who is playing at Hofstra right now (up 11-1 as I type).

Skerry's comments from postgame"

"Certainly wasn't coaching in first half. Didn't do the job coaching wise. Guys responded at the half. Challenged the three seniors. Thought they all responded. Allen was sensational. Had the calf strain the other night. Lately, the guy on the other team put them over the hump, get 30. Not tonight. Thought Charles Thompson was really good. Dottin off the bench. Man Betrand was good. Betrand said in the huddle. I got this."We didn't give Fobbs much of a rest. He's a workhorse. Drexel has been elite at home. Gives us life."

As for next week with Regent coming in:
"We have to be smarter about what we're doing this time of the year. Skill work. Film. Walk though. We'll play then get ready for Madison. Live stuff is only 15 minutes in practice. This time of the year. 15 minutes of skills, free throws," This group has worked so hard, no bone-on-bone."

20-23 from the line. 
Down 7 and Betrand says at halftime to his teammates..  “I got this!”

Huge road win.  Enjoyed Spiro!

And Skerry is adjusting this coaching style..  love it.  
Maybe we need Kevin yelling from the bench more.  

Definitely seems like he is better this season at making halftime adjustments.  May be hope for Skerry ball after all. Nice win...

AB channeled his inner Kobe today, in their hometown of the City of Brotherly Dunks. I suspect he had this game circled on his calendar.

Ok, so NE lost today, which opens up a little more room between us and them. We’re not catching C of C, and I doubt we’re catching a Hofstra. But DE & W&M are just barely ahead of us, so 3rd or 4th isn’t out of the question. 

One concern going forward is our incredibly shrinking bench, with Gray out now (in addition to the earlier losses of Solomon U & TJ Howard). We’re now down to 8 scholarship players.  While I haven’t been the biggest fan of Gray, his minutes spelled our starters & he played good D, with an infrequent good game on offense. Now, our 8-man rotation includes several guys who aren’t going to score much (Dottin, Tunstall, Thompson), 1 guy who is extremely inconsistent on offense (Timberlake) & one guy who picks up 3 silly fouls in pregame warmups (Sanders). 

5 conference games left. Would be great to hold serve at home (Elon & W&M) & at least win 1 of the final 3 road games (JMU, NE & Hofstra). My prediction: 10-8 final conference record. 

I just that Elon beat Charleston on the road. This conference is nuts this season. So Hofstra moves to 9-3, Charleston to 9-4, Hens to 8-4 tied with W&Mf for 3rd. We're 8-5 in 5th. We have to beat JMU on the road and Elon at home. Can we sweep W&M in the regular season? They are not playing well lately and Knight is getting no help. Going 3-2 would get us to 11-7. That could be good enough to get 4th, but what does that mean? Four plays five anyways.  Elon is a young team that might be coming of age. Sheffield (31) outdueled Riller (26) today. Amazing.

Could we beat Hofstra and NE back to back? Very doubtful. Gray might be back, might not be. Not sure. I think our best hope is that he's back for those final two road games. Charles Thompson is going to step up with big minutes. We miss Gray not because he was shooting well, but his defense. Could defend the perimeter well and his length is a plus, esp. when Tunstall is out or when he's in.

Back to Betrand. He's averaging 14.8ppg and shooting 42.4% from beyond the arc. Kind of reminds me of the improvement that Mike Morsell made from his freshman to his sophomore season. The MM played very little as a freshman. Mike was a nice player, but not sure he had that killer instinct. Sure, AB probably idolized Kobe. The mid-range shot. The glare at other guys. I think he could be a star next season. He might be one now.

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

AB channeled his inner Kobe today, in their hometown of the City of Brotherly Dunks. I suspect he had this game circled on his calendar.

Ok, so NE lost today, which opens up a little more room between us and them. We’re not catching C of C, and I doubt we’re catching a Hofstra. But DE & W&M are just barely ahead of us, so 3rd or 4th isn’t out of the question. 

One concern going forward is our incredibly shrinking bench, with Gray out now (in addition to the earlier losses of Solomon U & TJ Howard). We’re now down to 8 scholarship players.  While I haven’t been the biggest fan of Gray, his minutes spelled our starters & he played good D, with an infrequent good game on offense. Now, our 8-man rotation includes several guys who aren’t going to score much (Dottin, Tunstall, Thompson), 1 guy who is extremely inconsistent on offense (Timberlake) & one guy who picks up 3 silly fouls in pregame warmups (Sanders). 

5 conference games left. Would be great to hold serve at home (Elon & W&M) & at least win 1 of the final 3 road games (JMU, NE & Hofstra). My prediction: 10-8 final conference record. 

How long will Gray be out?