• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB beats Regent 71-55 (story)

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=309687

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/2/12/mens-basketball-dottin-sparks-towson-past-regent.aspx

Couldn't be an uglier and more uninspired effort until mid-way through the second half. Allen Betrand had eight points on 0-of-6 from three-point range, coming off a 31-point effort against Drexel on the road. Think he was fired up for this one? That's what happens you play a team like this in the middle of conference play. I even go back to the old Bracket Buster that was played in mid-February and nobody wanted to go out to play Bowling Green on the road in the middle of winter. Feel for the walk-ons, who should have played at least 10 minutes in this one. 

Anyhow, comments coming up next. At least nobody got hurt. With just eight scholarship players, we can't afford another injury.

Uninspired and lackluster. Give credit to Regent-it was a big game for their kids. 

If we shoot 23% from 3 Saturday night, it’ll be a long night in Harrisonburg. 

Skerry opening comment

Thought we rebounded the ball well. Had a good push for about 10 minutes mostly due to (Jakigh and Charles). They sacrificed a lot for us to have success. I thought Nakye was good. He did what he was supposed to do. We didn't take care of the ball early. We got overextended defensively, my fault, sometimes those smaller, quicker guys...we're not a great trapping, steal the ball team, so we got a little bit overextended. We had a pretty good push late.

Did he get what he wanted out of this game?

I hope so. We haven't done much the last few days physically, so we needed to get some contact....8pm Saturday night is a long time. I don't know if I went into this thinking that, but with Juwan's injury and a long grinding week last week, I figured we're not going to do a lot of contact. No contact for two days and get ready for JMU. I scheduled the game due to what happened at Cornell. I talked to the players and said we could get a game. They said they wanted it. Whether they were telling me what I wanted to hear or not, didn't matter. At that point, we went ahead and did it. Every game is different. For us, it's now turn the page and get ready for a tough game Saturday night.

On Juwan Gray's injury

We hope to have him back by the conference tournament. I don't know how quickly he can heal or doesn't heal. He hurt his hand against Delaware. No surgery, but it will take a couple of weeks.

Charles Thompson

I try and give the same approach every game. It doesn't matter who we're playing. It could be Florida, Xavier, D3, NAIA. I try and bring the same intensity every game. I don't look down on opponents or look high. I try and be consistent no matter who we play.

Dottin

I feel the same way. I try and come off the bench and bring energy. Approach the game the same way every time.

Skerry on Drexel win

We were good late against Delaware and fought our way back, but didn't get over the hump. Disappointing. Drexel played well early. Our guys played really hard in the second half. We had that Towson defense and toughness. It's going to take all 8 guys to get to where we want to get to. Our guys are keenly aware of how good James Madison is. It's going to be a hard game on Saturday night. We're a game-and-a-half out of first. There's a good likelihood if have good fortune on Saturday night, we are going to be in good position coming home next week.

On getting walk-ons to play

Best we've had with walkons. High character guys. Good players. They've all helped us. Close knit group of guys. If anything, our eight guys needed to play a bit better earlier so they could have played more. 

Dottin on walk-ons

I love those guys. We don't treat them any differently. They practice hard. They post every game. Those are our guys. They do everything that we do.

Dottin on difference between this year and last year

I mean, I would say mindset. We came into this season talking about "burn the boats". Revenge tour. We come in every game with more of a chip. We're more connected, more together. Whole different mindset. That's just how I feel. We just have to keep moving forward.

Dottin on this game's impact

Like coach said, we haven't been doing contact since Drexel. It keeps us fresh and moving. I think it was beneficial that we came and played. Got our legs going. Another opportunity.

Skerry continues

It's a hard balance this time of the year. I've had teams that had a lot of guys and we just do hand-to-hand combat every day. With eight guys and I believe in all eight of them. But I know we have to be smart about it. It's hard to have the same type of intensity. I probably jumped a couple a little harder than I needed to do in the second half. I didn't in the first half. We were still a little bit stagnant and they needed a couple of words of encouragement.

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Uninspired and lackluster. Give credit to Regent-it was a big game for their kids. 

If we shoot 23% from 3 Saturday night, it’ll be a long night in Harrisonburg. 

You can say that about every game when you shoot that poorly. Betrand was 0-for-6 and he's a 41% three-point shooter. At least he was a 41% three-point shooter. Shows the focus was off. Why would it be on? This was not a team that you could just show up and beat by 40. Not at our level with eight players. Fobbs and Betrand combined for 15 points, and well, we're not going to beat any D-1 team with our top two scorers struggling like that. 

They were going through the motions. Made some horrific passes. Every time a guy was on the break, we wanted to throw a difficult lob pass or take the ball from one end to the other and dunk. But this was there only real contact all week. Whether it helped or hurt on Saturday, I guess we'll find out.

This game was pointless. Win by 40 & people say “so what, you were supposed to.” Play like we did tonight and people say “uninspired and lackluster” (which it was). 

Put it in the rear view mirror and on to Harrisonburg 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

This game was pointless. Win by 40 & people say “so what, you were supposed to.” Play like we did tonight and people say “uninspired and lackluster” (which it was). 

Put it in the rear view mirror and on to Harrisonburg 

Only good thing was that it was quick so I decided to change my mind and go to the press conference. Very impressed with Charles Thompson by the way and Dottin seems like a great kid. Also some pretty good quotes as well about Gray, this game and the season.

Let’s delete this thread and pretend this game ever happened. Embarrassing to have a game like this close. 

Grays injury really hurts as we are down to 8 and just 3 bigs

I’ve never met Thompson, but he seems like a good kid. Did meet Dottin, before last season, and was very impressed by him. 

Would be nice to have Gray back come tournament time. Based on the people I spoke to it’s iffy.

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Let’s delete this thread and pretend this game ever happened. Embarrassing to have a game like this close. 

Grays injury really hurts as we are down to 8 and just 3 bigs

Gray’s absence is problematic. I’m concerned it could be especially problematic vs W&M’s twin towers next week.