• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MLax falls to the Mount 11-10 at home

I just now started to look at the stats, because I had to go somewhere after the game and needed a break anyhow. We had two caused turnovers. Two. Against a team that milked the shotclock so much that they had 11, I repeat, 11 shotclock violations. That must be a record, it's like in basketball when you don't press. If you are going to let the other team dictate the tempo and you're not going to come out on them, get your stick in the passing lanes, not get physical, oh well. 

But that's easily correctable, I think. Same with the offense. We have a new offensive coordinator but I don't know what we were running late in the game other than get the ball to Maloof because he's defended by a shortie (I think). Maloof, who missed the last game against Hopkins (suspension) and struggled last year with his shot (25%), also struggled in this game. He had one goal on 8 shots.

I do like the potential of the offense with Austin Stewart, who is very quick, but was also playing his first game as a Denver transfer. Maryland transfer James Avanzato moved to midfield. Mazza had a strong game with three goals but they figured him out in the second half. He was just using his size to back defenders down and then turn and shoot.

The bigger worry even than face-offs is Canto in net. He didn't appear to see the ball well at all today and really struggled on the low shots. That's understandable for a 6-6 stopper, but you have to stop those. They had 15 shots on goal and scored 11. That's efficient but terrible for us. Jake Stout came in by the fourth quarter, but by then, we're down three goals. Not sure what Brennan's deal was. I assumed if he was available, Nads would have taken Canto out earlier. That's issue number one.

Issue number two wasn't solved today, but I think freshman Shane Santora kind of came out of nowhere to at least win face-offs. He won 10 of 17 after McNallen/Chestnutt went 0-for-7. So, we can't use the face-off problem as the reason we lost. We were up 8-7 at the half and Santora did a decent job winning or at least keeping alive the face-offs. His biggest issue was corralling the ball and finding an open teammate. He coughed it up several times. But that's a positive spin on a horrendous day.

What happened in the second half? We scored three goals. Their goaltender got hot and we struggled on both ends of the field. I also thought the move of Jake McLean to wing on the face-offs helped and hurt us. It helped the wings, but we really struggled in the second midfield of Greg Ey, Tim Montgomery, and Ryan Swain. These guys don't have to score 10 goals, but they can't turn it over every time they are on the field. At some point, if you can't find six guys, go with four or five at midfield that can produce.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure who we're going to beat at this point if we can't beat the Mount at home. That's the reality of the situation and I know that Nads will make some adjustments. If he goes back to Canto, he better have a short leash on Friday against Cornell.

Is this considered a rebuilding year?  I know nothing about lacrosse and it seems like we lost some big names from last season. But a loss to mount st marys doesnt seem good.

Have our lacrosse teams ever both started 0-2 before??

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Is this considered a rebuilding year?  I know nothing about lacrosse and it seems like we lost some big names from last season. But a loss to mount st marys doesnt seem good.

Have our lacrosse teams ever both started 0-2 before??

I’m sure we’ve both started 0-2, but this is not a rebuilding year for men’s lax. No excuse to lose to a team you haven’t lost to since 1975.