• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB beats up on JMU 63-48

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=285650

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/2/15/mens-basketball-towsons-defense-doesnt-rest-in-win-over-jmu.aspx

Defense was the story tonight as Towson dominated JMU 63-48 on the road to improve to 9-5 in the CAA and 16-11 overall. Towson held the Dukes to just 34% shooting from the field and outrebounded them by 17. It wasn't a pretty effort on offense as the Tigers shot just 42% from the field and turned the ball over 14 times (Betrand had 7). Brian Fobbs had 14 and nine rebounds to lead the team, while Allen Betrand chipped in with 12.

The Tigers also had contributions from Dennis Tunstall (4 blocks, 8 rebs) and Charles Thompson with 9.

Comments after the game on TSN from Skerry:
"My kind of ballgame. Held them to 34% shooting. +17 on the glass. Matt Lewis made some tough shots, but he's tough. Our defense was tremendous. Other than that (Lewis). We pride ourselves on defense. Great win for our team. Dennis was terrific. Charles was awesome. Nick had 8 rebounds. Five rebounds for Gibson. Nine rebounds for Fobbs. That was a team win."

"We need a lot of people on Thursday night. Nathan Knight is an NBA player. We want to play big games in late February. It's been a fun group. We're in the race. Thursday night is a huge game. Rest our guys tomorrow."

Latest standings have Towson tied for third place with Delaware, who lost to W&M today to end their seven-game winning streak.  Hofstra in first place at 11-3, W&M at 2nd at 10-5. The Tribe are coming to SECU on Thursday. Need a big crowd for that one. Over 2,000 minimum. 

This is a pretty good basketball team. Did they play great tonight on offense? Nope, but they got the W in a place that has haunted them for five straight years. This tied for the biggest road win against JMU ever. It's not easy to win on the road. Look what's happening in the CAA. Good teams are losing on the road to bad teams all season. 

Of course, tough to watch the first half due to technical glitches either on JMU's end or Flo Sports. Some sloppy play by Betrand and Fobbs was quiet. But you need all hands on deck. Gibson hit some big threes and Timberlake after starting out 0-6, hit a 3 and then had a nice two-handed slam in transition over another JMU player. I'll try and find some highlights for this one. One thing you have to commend the guys at Towson Sports Network is that they are better than anyone in the CAA when it comes to putting together a highlight package.

If NE beats DE Thursday, & we beat W&M, we’d be in 2nd place. Would be nice to have 3K in the building-athletic department needs to market the hell out of this game.

Didn’t get to watch the game live. Did we get out unscathed from injuries? 

And so much for the Regent game hurting them. Did it help? Probably not, because the team didn't come out very sharp early on, but they shook off the cobwebs and led at the half by nine. So basically it was no harm, no foul.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

If NE beats DE Thursday, & we beat W&M, we’d be in 2nd place. Would be nice to have 3K in the building-athletic department needs to market the hell out of this game.

Didn’t get to watch the game live. Did we get out unscathed from injuries? 

Yes, no major injuries that I could see. Sanders always seems to pull something and Timberlake landed hard on his knee, but he was fine. Skerry said something about trying to put them in bubblewrap before the W&M game.

The thing I’ll remember the most about Sanders, other than how he cocks the ball over his head when he shoots, is that it seems like every game he hits the floor so hard that I shudder.

Looks like Thompson & Tunstall had good games, & Timberlake with 8 boards. I don’t think we’re going to hold W&M to 48 points, so we’ll need Fobbs & Betrand to light up the scoreboard 

Edited by TSU88

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

The thing I’ll remember the most about Sanders, other than how he cocks the ball over his head when he shoots, is that it seems like every game he hits the floor so hard that I shutter. 

Looks like Thompson & Tunstall had good games, & Timberlake with 8 boards. I don’t think we’re going to hold W&M to 48 points, so we’ll need Fobbs & Betrand to light up the scoreboard 

We held W&M to 58 in that first game. Betrand and Fobbs combined for 33, but it was Gibson's 21 points that was the difference. We really need AB to get back on his game. He was terrible against Regent and well, a lot of guys were. But tonight had 7 turnovers. His shooting was fine, though he only took 6 shots and made 3. He forced some terrible entry passes, but at least he was not forcing bad shots. 

It’s important to have that 3rd scoring option, especially if Fobbs or Betrand is having an off night. Would be great if Gibson had another big game vs W&M, but Sanders or Timberlake coming up big would do nicely to. 

This coming Thursday has to be one of the biggest home games in the PS era 

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

It’s important to have that 3rd scoring option, especially if Fobbs or Betrand is having an off night. Would be great if Gibson had another big game vs W&M, but Sanders or Timberlake coming up big would do nicely to. 

This coming Thursday has to be one of the biggest home games in the PS era 

I guess. So if we win, what, we move to third and win the tiebreaker over W&M? If we lose, it puts more pressure to win on Saturday. I'd like to be wrong and wouldn't mind seeing this team in the top 3. Even top 2. We do need to avoid Charleston and they could be in that 4-5 game. But my expectations for this team are sort of just wait and see. I know they are pretty good. Are they great? No. But nobody is in this league. Are they better than Hofstra? Don't think so. I think we can beat W&M without Gray the way Thompson is playing, but I'm not sure we go far in the tournament without him. But I don't think that's a team we can go small against unless Van Vliet is out of the gaem.