• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB beats up on JMU 63-48

4 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Exhibition or regular season, the goal is to get better every day. They were awful in the first 3 conference games, but they improved. That's good news. But it does not get you anything other than perhaps a higher seed in the only season that matters. Folks watch the Orioles in the exhibition season and want them to get better every day. If they go undefeated in their exhibition season, it makes no difference other than they got better. 

I am happy for many of the players that they have gotten better but we are approaching the only time it really counts. 

So you are comparing our 31-game schedule to spring training games. Ok

You are correct between 2nd and ninth, big difference....no difference between 2nd and 6th....both avoid the play in game. It is all about playoffs in EVERY sport. How is Dan Marino remembered...the best who never won a Super Bowl. How is Philip Rivers talked about....great numbers but a failure in playoffs. In a conference where every team makes the "playoffs"...the regular season is more or less irrelevant other than alot of practice. 

I’ll compare it to lacrosse. Does it matter that Towson lost to the Mount yesterday? Of course it does if you want an at large bid. That’s not happening. So winning the conference tournament is the only way in, but you have to win enough games to get there. You have to position yourself to get there. Winning games and playing well helps your confidence. Just like hoops. If we go 1-3 our last four, do you think our fans will have any confidence that we’ll go all the way? Doubtful and I think the team would feel the same way. Winning in the regular season sets you up to do good things in the tournament.

BTW, I picked this team for fifth place and I don’t think they are that much better than I predicted. But I enjoy the winning, even if it’s JUST the regular season. I enjoy that it looks like we may finally have a good point guard for the first time in decades. We’re not great and I have no clue what is going to happen in the tournament. Objectively speaking, I would favor Hofstra or even Delaware because they have stars that could get hot for three days. We need to have more than just defense and rebounding to get there.

I get the lack of confidence in the coach or program to do well in the tournament.

Fortunately, I think PS is starting to get it. Getting better shooters helps. Now we need a guy that can get his own shot when the clock winds down.

Matt,

Just a couple of points.

1. Winning is better than losing

2. Lacrosse and Football are different than basketball. Lacrosse and Football have a chance for at large bids, beyond Conference Championships.....basketball does not.

3. In regard to the importance of regular season vs. post season....you could not turn on ESPN during October, November and December and not hear...Lamar, lamar, lamar....changingt the face of football...the best there is....#1 team in football....BUT after a playoff loss, "The league has caught up with lamar". "He will have to change his game". It is all about playoffs...PERIOD. Nothing that ahppens before that matters. It is all fluff

4 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Matt,

Just a couple of points.

1. Winning is better than losing

2. Lacrosse and Football are different than basketball. Lacrosse and Football have a chance for at large bids, beyond Conference Championships.....basketball does not.

3. In regard to the importance of regular season vs. post season....you could not turn on ESPN during October, November and December and not hear...Lamar, lamar, lamar....changingt the face of football...the best there is....#1 team in football....BUT after a playoff loss, "The league has caught up with lamar". "He will have to change his game". It is all about playoffs...PERIOD. Nothing that ahppens before that matters. It is all fluff

Disagree about everything being fluff. What the Ravens did in the regular season was not fluff. They wouldn’t be in the playoffs if not for their regular season. They choked in the playoffs for two straight seasons and Lamar is getting most of the blame deserved or not.

Saying the regular season means squat makes me wonder why should we even try to get 3,000 people on Thursday night if the game means nothing? To me, momentum and confidence is what you need to build up in the regular season. That and either getting a top two seed or staying out of the PIG. So we’ll agree to disagree.

I think the goal here is to hold serve at home in these last 2 conference games, which won’t be easy. Then, in the best of all possible worlds, steal a W on the road vs NE, & finish conference play at 12-6. A split of the last 4 wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen, which would leave us at 11-7.

What we don’t want to happen is to lose either 3 of the last 4, or, even worse, all 4. 

It all starts on Thursday 

One positive is having the two teams above us in the last 4 games of conference play. 

Win or lose we will be more prepared for DC. 

Be something if this team pulls off 20 wins.  
I know I buried them earlier and I’m so happy to be proved wrong.  

Suddenly with the emergence of AB and having the two bigs back for next season along with the Long Beach transfer we can compete again for a CAA title.  

We can’t change the past etc.   All we can do is support this current regime and players as best we can.  

I’m not at the games but from watching them through the 7 game win streak and this past stretch of games..  they are playing together and hard..  all we can ask. 

The road to the 1 seed and the NIT bid:

--Win the last 4 games (anything less than that makes it pretty much impossible).  That puts us at 13-5.

--By winning all 4 games, we give W&M their 6th loss.  It would help if they win their last 2 against JMU & Elon (more on that shortly).

--By winning all 4 games, we give Hofstra their 3rd loss.  We'd need them to lose one more game (they have at Del/Drexel and JMU left) so they'd need to lose one of those roadtrip games.  That would make them 13-5

--Delaware loses one more game (they have home NE/Hofstra & at Charleston/UNCW left).  They won't get thru that undefeated.

--Charleston loses one more game to give them 7 conference losses (they've come this far with 6, 7 is pretty likely).

So that would leave the standings as this:

Towson & Hofstra 13-5, W&M & Delaware 12-6, Charleston 7+ losses.  W&M swept Delaware so they get the 3 which is important because if I remember correctly, the second tiebreaker after head-to-head is record against the next best team in the standings.  So us and Hofstra split.  Move down to that next best team which is W&M and we swept them while Hofstra has a loss to them.

So there's the map.  A tall hill to climb but this conference season hasn't made too much sense much like the rest of the country.  Start it with a win over W&M on Thursday night.