• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Mid-year update on recruits

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I wonder if Gorham had to do it over again if he would transfer to Houston, where he’s averaging 3.4 ppg. Anyway, water under the bridge. Martin is averaging 11ppg at New Mexico, but that needs to be put in context-he was coming off the bench until the Lobo’s lost 4 players to a combo of injuries & suspensions. It was only at that point that his minutes & scoring avg went up. 

None of the recent transfers are setting the world on fire. JJ Matthews’ numbers are meh-8.6 ppg & 4 rpg 

I think he'll play more of a role next season. still young there. Good team. Heard an interview on their coach he is high on Gorham

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Interesting as some other poster would say. Of course, somebody will likely transfer out this season. It's not like we're the only school that has players entering the transfer portal. This is an epidemic across the country. But there was one year where a key guy transferred out that wasn't shall we say pushed away and that was Zane. So this entire board is worried about every key player leaving. If it happens, it happens. That's why recruiting is year-round. Instead of just working on 2021, they are also working on 2020. Most mid-majors do. High majors do as well because guys f-ing leave either to the NBA or to the transfer portal. It's just part of the game. Does anybody really care about who left the program? Most were a non-contributor, underachieved or was a non-contributor at their transfer school because they shot for the moon (JG). 

Ingram was a different issue due to some personal circumstances. He actually wanted to return, but we moved on. 

As for scoring, when Zane left, didn't we pick up Brian Fobbs? The problem was we were depending on Jordan McNeill to step up and several freshmen who weren't ready. Of course, PS knows we need a scorer, but what about Mims? Can he score like Fobbs? He was never given a chance at Long Beach. But I don't think he can create his own shot. He can shoot the three. That's pretty much all I've seen from him. Even at Long Beach, he took just 6 threes, but made three of them. We do need more than a shooter, but a shot creator. Darrick Jones might be really good, how the hell we do we know? If you watch his videos and I guess I was the only one that watched that ESPN game, he was sitting there watching Cam Thomas shoot pretty much every shot. Thomas is a 5* going to LSU and might be one-and-done.

So to me, it's all about Mims playing the 3. Fobbs is not irreplaceable just like Zane wasn't. Not saying we didn't miss his 20ppg. But was he a winner? A defender? A passer? An efficient scorer? A clutch player? Maybe he's learning how to be one at New Mexico. He definitely had talent. Though I just checked his numbers again and he's struggling from the three-point line.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4067320/zane-martin

I tend to see next year as glass-half-full, even if this class is shall we say, "iffy"? Because we don't know what we're getting, especially in Biekeu and Jones. Mims didn't play at Long Beach and Victor didn't play at USC. But again, what are we losing on offense other than Fobbs? Do you think we can replace Dennis Tunstall's incredible 4.4 points per game? Juwan Gray, in a down year, averaged 7.0 points per game off the bench. Is it possible he can average 10ppg as a starter? Sure, you might be missing out on DT's rebounding and paint D, but Victor will make up for that.

And what about Victor? He's replacing Sanders' 9ppg and 6.5rpg. Maybe he will match that, but let's say he averages 8ppg, 6rpg and 2bpg. But what if Charles Thompson improves his game and averages 6ppg and 5rpg off the bench, assuming he plays around 15-20mpg at the 5 and 4. Needs a whole summer to work on that shot, but he'll put on 10 pounds of muscle and will hold his own in the paint. Solomon could be the X-factor because he has potential as a scorer and is a good athlete. 

I could talk all day about next season but for the upteenth time, do you know who holds it together and gives us a bright future? Jason Gibson. He's averaging 8ppg. Put another 10 pounds on him and with a summer of getting stronger, he'll start finishing those drives to the rim. He'll get a tad more athletic. Do you realize since conference play started, Jason Gibson is shooting 42% from beyond the arc in 14 games. He's averaging 9.3 points and shooting 87.1% from the line. That's freaking impressive considering he had that rough patch in conference play for about seven games and went scoreless in three straight. Most freshmen hit the wall later; he hit his in December. I can easily see him average 12ppg and here's a kid I thought would average ultimately 4-5 assists per game, but he's more of a scorer than I thought. But he can be a playmaker as well and make guys better. Is there a correlation with this offense since Gibson became a starter and began playing close to 30 minutes a game? Yes there is. As long as we have him, he'll help Betrand, Mims and hopefull Timberlake. Even Darrick Jones, assuming we run more.

I feel like fobbs is better overall than Zane. Better defender. Way better rebounder. More coachable and better teammate. 

Can Solomon, victor and Charles give more than frosh Charles, Dennis And sanders? Probably 

11 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I wonder if Gorham had to do it over again if he would transfer to Houston, where he’s averaging 3.4 ppg. Anyway, water under the bridge. Martin is averaging 11ppg at New Mexico, but that needs to be put in context-he was coming off the bench until the Lobo’s lost 4 players to a combo of injuries & suspensions. It was only at that point that his minutes & scoring avg went up. 

None of the recent transfers are setting the world on fire. JJ Matthews’ numbers are meh-8.6 ppg & 4 rpg 

JJ Matthews had so much potential when you saw him. He looked the part but he didn’t show much. A guy that big should dominate the glass but you have to want to do it.

Gorham probably needed to transfer but to a lower level than Houston. 

Interesting. A grad transfer. 6-2 guard who is shooting 46.2% from three this season, but has only played 16 minutes per game in 12 games. Averaged 9.1 ppg last year but shot just 25.5% from long range and 41% overall. Had surgery on his hand this year on Feb. 1 and is out for the season. A point guard who I guess can slide over and play with Gibby in a combo role.

55 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Interesting. A grad transfer. 6-2 guard who is shooting 46.2% from three this season, but has only played 16 minutes per game in 12 games. Averaged 9.1 ppg last year but shot just 25.5% from long range and 41% overall. Had surgery on his hand this year on Feb. 1 and is out for the season. A point guard who I guess can slide over and play with Gibby in a combo role.

Umm not interesting 46% on 13 3's attempted... 22/90 in his career.

34 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Umm not interesting 46% on 13 3's attempted... 22/90 in his career.

I didn’t say he was a star. If he can create off the dribble, he can help. He’s no.3

https://depauliaonline.com/47059/sports/devin-gage-leaving-depaul-at-the-end-of-the-season/in

https://depaulbluedemons.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/devin-gage/1865