• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

W&M II preview

8 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

What we'd like to have happen tonite:

We beat W&M (required)

Drexel beats Hofstra (not mandatory but would be extra helpful)

NE beats Delaware (not end of world if it doesn't happen)

A win tonight clinches a top 6 spot. As does both a  Drexel and Elon loss.

I understand the athletic department has to start with small goals, but they are pulling out all the stops to try to get get 1,200 students to the game. TU is nearing an enrollment of 25,000 students. So if they somehow do get 1,200 students in the arena tonight, that’s less than 5 percent of the student body in attendance. Pretty insane, we have so far to go. I watched the VCU game on Monday night (former CAA school), the arena was filled to the top and their student sections on both sides were packed and going crazy. They play in the A10, those schools don’t have much more if any, name recognition as the CAA. Where did TU Athletics go wrong? Has attendance always been this bad? I graduated in 2018 so have only been following for a few years.

4 minutes ago, TU2018 said:

I understand the athletic department has to start with small goals, but they are pulling out all the stops to try to get get 1,200 students to the game. TU is nearing an enrollment of 25,000 students. So if they somehow do get 1,200 students in the arena tonight, that’s less than 5 percent of the student body in attendance. Pretty insane, we have so far to go. I watched the VCU game on Monday night (former CAA school), the arena was filled to the top and their student sections on both sides were packed and going crazy. They play in the A10, those schools don’t have much more if any, name recognition as the CAA. Where did TU Athletics go wrong? Has attendance always been this bad? I graduated in 2018 so have only been following for a few years.

Commuter school that hasn’t gone to an NCAA Tournament since 1991 and went through 15 straight losing seasons. Attendance has always been bad. Could do an entire thread about the various other reasons but it is what it is. VCU is a whole different animal. They went to a Final Four.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TU2018 said:

TU18, since you are semi new to the boards, we frequently mention attendance. Winning more consistently and winning bigger games will help some, but it is what it is at this point. Student attendance has been pitiful and has consistently gotten worse since year 1 of SECU. Even in the old Towson Center days, we have 50 or so students standing behind the hoop with the band on the wooden bleachers and a few hundred (250-400) sitting behind the visitors bench. That was a crappy arena and for crappy teams. Why haven't they come over to SECU? It's not further than the TC. Promotions/prizes are just as good. Team is better. Facility much better.

What was the vibe around campus when you graduated about athletics? How did they market the programs/games to you guys? Did you go to games?

The A-10 does have better name recognition than the CAA especially in the past 5-10 years. They are a better conference that gets multiple teams in the NCAA Tournament and wins games there. 2019-2, 2018-3, 2017-3, 2016-3, 2015-3, 2014-4, 2013-5. Basketball is also almost all of those schools #1 program and a priority.  In the CAA we have schools that value other programs such as NE-Hockey, JMU- Football, Towson-Lacrosse.  The football aspect also hurts the CAA as most A-10 schools do not have football. Going back to 2015 Championship, only 1 of the teams participating in it had a football program and the last team to win the CAA Title with a football program was Delaware in 2014... 

As Mat said, VCU went to a Final Four. They also have a ton of students and play games on TV.