• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2021 Football Offers/Commits

18 hours ago, mat1992 said:

First off, they are probably limited on how many scholarships they can bring in. Secondly, if you in your last year of your contract, why would you want to rely on just freshmen in what could be your last recruiting class? You would want to bring in guys that can help you right away.

At this point you are correct.  However,  if growing talent from within was the MO perhaps you wouldn't need to patch together a competitive team in the last year of your contract.  My post was not designed to criticize.  Just a statement of fact. I think most people would agree growing talent from within is a better strategy. But I am happy to agree to disagree. 

46 minutes ago, Maharba10 said:

At this point you are correct.  However,  if growing talent from within was the MO perhaps you wouldn't need to patch together a competitive team in the last year of your contract.  My post was not designed to criticize.  Just a statement of fact. I think most people would agree growing talent from within is a better strategy. But I am happy to agree to disagree. 

We all would like to see players come in as freshmen and develop into good players by their Junior/Senior years. However with football and hoops that has RARELY been the case.  Add in coaches with ~.500 records, and contracts are coming up, you see more of a patchwork win now philosophy. 

Let's actually look at facts before we speculate. Delaware and JMU don't have to get many FBS transfers. They can recruit tons of 3* guys. Do we have more than the average? Probably. At this point, you are going for the best player to help you win games immediately, not 2-3 years down the line. Was recruiting really good 4-5 years ago? If it was, the coach probably wouldn't be in this position. It starts with the quarterback and we've only had one pretty good one that came in as a freshman (Peter Athens) and one who was serviceable (Connor Frazier) since 2010.

Albany, for example, has 17 transfers. Richmond has only 7, Maine has 17.

Let's look at our projected team for fall 2021, assuming nobody leaves or is injured. If they are homegrown, asterisk.

QB Jeff MIller*

RB Kobe Young/Adrian Platt both *

TE J. Epps (Lincoln)

WR Jabari Allen*

WR D. Street (Pitt)

WR R. Rutkowski*

LT A. Garnett *

LG A. Gryzmkowski*

C C. Cheripko*

RG Demarcus Gilmore (juco)

RT Darian Bryant (Temple)

FB Luke Hamilton*

Defense (defensive line rotates a lot of players)

DE Bryce Carter*/Marcus Bowman (juco)/Bryce Lauer*

DE Jesus Gibbs (South Carolina)/Quayshon Alexander (Nebraska)/Tibo D.*

NG Sam Gyeni* /Vinnie Shaffer (Saint Anselm)

OLB Nygil Johnson*(original commit to Nevada)

OLB Michael Robinson (Ball State)

ILB Ricky DeBerry (Oklahoma)

ILB Christin Dixon*

S Robert Topps III (Kansas)/Keyvone Bruton (Temple)

S Jamal Gay*

CB Brandon Shuman (Purdue)

CB Charles Peeples (juco)/Jirhe Love*/Jeremiah Wynn*

I think some of this is a result of not playing in the spring and some is just the revolving door of the transfer portal. Bryce Carter is gone. So is Jeremiah Wynn, Myles Wright, and Derrick McCoy. No matter what people think, when the coach is in the last year of his contract, the magic elixir is not getting a freshman, no matter what star he is. It's about finding a transfer that fits your program and is an immediate impact player. Some of those guys are on their way. A couple on offense and defense. 

What do we need? A transfer quarterback who can play right away. A transfer running back with experience and some size. A tight end who can catch. A pass rusher up front. Maybe another safety, though we do have Keyvone Bruton, the Temple transfer waiting in the wings. An offensive lineman or two who can wait in the wings and start in 2022.