• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigerFan54

Spring game is Tuesday, April 14, at 6 p.m.

Early date? I thought it was in April. I heard they couldn't get a Saturday date due to an outdoor track meet.

BTW, it's much better than it was last season when they started in late February. I know it's not great for Jeff Miller but this winter has been a lot milder than last winter. So it appears we're starting about 2 weeks later than last season. But we (I) may luck out on the weather. Nothing wrong with that spring game in early April, but the middle-of-the-week is not going to draw well, though it didn't draw much anyhow in the past on a Saturday.

Last year it looks like spring practice went from 2/19 to around 3/27. I’m assuming practice starts later this year?

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Last year it looks like spring practice went from 2/19 to around 3/27. I’m assuming practice starts later this year?

Around mid-March to mid-April. Last year, was just impossible to watch and I don't know how they get anything done. This year, if they started on Feb. 19, the weather would be better. But personally, I'd rather them start in late March and end in late April. But whatever. As long as they get some good work from the QBs and get a long look at them some of the younger players. I'm sure all the main guys that were hurt will be sitting out or working out on the side.

I think it’s fair to say spring practice will be very important to at least 2 players-Stover & Miller. If one of them stands out in spring practice, I would think he would have a leg up on being the favorite going into summer camp. OTOH, if neither distinguishes themself, I would think that would increase the chances of the starter being someone not yet on the roster

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I think it’s fair to say spring practice will be very important to at least 2 players-Stover & Miller. If one of them stands out in spring practice, I would think he would have a leg up on being the favorite going into summer camp. OTOH, if neither distinguishes themself, I would think that would increase the chances of the starter being someone not yet on the roster

I think it's all about Miller. If he becomes the guy we envisioned, they don't have to go out and get another TF. They can just add a juco backup and Stover can be the backup if he wants. But then you have to design an offense around Miller. If he's not the guy, you have Stover and a newcomer, because you have to bring in somebody that has a minimum of two years left, assuming Stover is the guy. But at least you don't have to change the offense much. Stover needs to show he can make all the throws consistently and limit the turnovers. Can he be like a Peter Athens? A guy who managed the game well and just gave the ball to T-West and Vito, while making some key throws on third down. Athens kind of had a similar backstory. Played on a rough team as a freshman, but of course, it ended when he tore his ACL. Enders came in, he lost his job, decided to play lacrosse and then came back for his senior year when Enders's eligibility ran out. It helped that he was playing for a loaded team, but there are some similarities. The 2020 team could be loaded if they are healthy. Just need a solid QB to lead them.

• Like 1

The time and day are weird.. however we never draw much (1000 max) on a nice Saturday afternoon, so it really doesn't matter much. The few die-hard football fans will be there no matter when its played.

Hope Miller can win the job and be successful. Would be an even better story if he can do as much good on the field as he does off of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1