• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Slow start dooms MBB in 61-51 loss to W&M

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Thompson should only get better, but something needs to be done with his foul shot. Sanders was MIA on offense...again. The year he sat out, I did was by someone very close to the program that the expectation was he would be a 12 & 7 guy. It just never happened. Wish him the best when he’s done playing here, but I won’t miss him once he’s gone. 

There’s just too many guys on this team who, absent an outlier game, are not going to contribute much in terms of scoring (really, everyone on the team, expect Fobbs, Betrand & occasionally Gibson). I just don’t see this as a recipe to winning 3 straight (assuming we avoid the PIG) in the conference tournament 

Kudos to Fobbs for joining the 1,000 point club 

I just wrote about Thompson and then I lost it. Seriously, I think he can be Cacok-lite. He'll put on 10 pounds and get bigger and stronger. He's a really good rebounder and defender. But yes, that shot needs work. If he doesn't improve, he can't play late in games. And sure, Victor will start at center and there will be a lot of competition at the 4. But it's really tough to play Charles at the 4 with no shot. He makes Dennis Tunstall look like Kevin Durant when it comes to shooting. I do have to give the staff credit for recruiting him, because he was under-the-radar and seems like a great kid. I'm sure he'll work hard to get better in the offseason. But the loss of Gray has forced him to play a lot more minutes. His strengths and weakness really become magnified when he's not playing 5-7 minutes per game.

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Chris you should have seen knights pregame warmups. 75% were dunks. 360 off the bounce windmills etc. Crazy

And what happened when he tried to take it to the basket a few times tonight?  He got his shit swatted by Tunstall.  Yeah, he's the conference POY by a landslide but he should be owning the paint with his strength and versatility.  But hey, congrats, he can audition for the G League slam dunk contest.

Now get off my lawn and let me watch my Law & Order.

Is there a way to hypnotize Betrand into believing every game is vs Drexel, on the road?🤣

Seriously, after his 31 pts vs Drexel, he hasn’t looked so good on offense. Too many forced 1-on-1 shots tonight, I thought. In fairness though, it wasn’t like there were a lot of other viable options tonight. 

We need to get out in transition. Our half court offense often times is impotent, a problem that has plagued us throughout the PS era.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

And what happened when he tried to take it to the basket a few times tonight?  He got his shit swatted by Tunstall.  Yeah, he's the conference POY by a landslide but he should be owning the paint with his strength and versatility.  But hey, congrats, he can audition for the G League slam dunk contest.

Now get off my lawn and let me watch my Law & Order.

I think you missed my point. As I was agreeing with you and the dunking during warmups. He was lazy with it very nonchalant.  If I was a coach I wouldn’t want my stat player doing it that much. 

To be fair he got a lot better and more athletic in his 4 years there.  If I was a Wm fan I would be so maddened that he doesn’t own the paint. Or that they don’t go inside to him more often and play through him. 

Speaking of that. Why did we just try once in the easy part of the second half to go at him?! (The sanders turnover). He had 2 fouls already!

Death. Taxes.  Towson losing a semi big game, when receiving more media attention.  

This isn’t a hoops problem but seems like almost all the programs as a whole. Sorry everyone, but it’s true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I think you missed my point. As I was agreeing with you and the dunking during warmups. He was lazy with it very nonchalant.  If I was a coach I wouldn’t want my stat player doing it that much. 

To be fair he got a lot better and more athletic in his 4 years there.  If I was a Wm fan I would be so maddened that he doesn’t own the paint. Or that they don’t go inside to him more often and play through him. 

Speaking of that. Why did we just try once in the easy part of the second half to go at him?! (The sanders turnover). He had 2 fouls already!

Oh yeah, I was on board with ya.

We’ve had 2 late season home games where a W would have been huge (c of c & tonight) and we came up small in both. Is it the players, the coaches, a combo of the two? It’s demoralizing. I’ve become fatalistic about these type of games-I just don’t expect us to win them.  Sorry to say that, but until a PS team starts winning some crucial games (oh, I don’t know, like maybe finally winning more than 1 game in the conference tournament) I don’t see any change on the horizon 

• Like 1

Also. Lots of shots were short tonight especially by betrand and Gibson. Fatigue may be setting in with them playing more than they ever have before.

But William and Mary is a good defense team now. Have to give them some credit as their guards were relentless on the permitter and got away with lots of physical play. 

Defense and physical play from the geeks?! What is the world coming to?!

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Sorry to say that, but until a PS team starts winning some crucial games (oh, I don’t know, like maybe finally winning more than 1 game in the conference tournament) I don’t see any change on the horizon 

We won 2 games in a 25 hour stretch in the caa tournament in 2009. Pat has won 2 games in 7 tournaments..

7 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Also. Lots of shots were short tonight especially by betrand and Gibson. Fatigue may be setting in with them playing more than they ever have before.

But William and Mary is a good defense team now. Have to give them some credit as their guards were relentless on the permitter and got away with lots of physical play. 

Defense and physical play from the geeks?! What is the world coming to?!

If fatigue is a problem for this team, if they can pull out a win against Elon, do you consider resting guys for the Hofstra game?