• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Slow start dooms MBB in 61-51 loss to W&M

26 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Is there a way to hypnotize Betrand into believing every game is vs Drexel, on the road?🤣

Seriously, after his 31 pts vs Drexel, he hasn’t looked so good on offense. Too many forced 1-on-1 shots tonight, I thought. In fairness though, it wasn’t like there were a lot of other viable options tonight. 

We need to get out in transition. Our half court offense often times is impotent, a problem that has plagued us throughout the PS era.

He was really good for about 10 games in a row that he scored double digits and then had 23 at Delaware and 31 at Drexel. Since then, he had 8 against Regent, 12 against JMU and tonight was just bad.

9 minutes ago, TowsonTiger11 said:

If fatigue is a problem for this team, if they can pull out a win against Elon, do you consider resting guys for the Hofstra game? 

Resting what guys? That game is Thursday. Do you want Pat to start Dottin and Chris Caligurian? You are supposed to go easy in practice with eight guys. That's the point. I don't see the fatigue. Maybe mental fatigue. But it's not like we play guys 40 minutes a game. Betrand averages 29.2, Fobbs is at 31.9 and Sanders at 22.9. Gibson is the guy who should be tired as his minutes have gone way up since conference play. He's at 24.6 overall, but he's averaged 27.1 mpg his last five. Close to 30 for the conference though lately, Dottin is coming in for defense and when they go small (which is a lot lately). 

• Like 1

I also want to add, they need to find out why we struggle at home recently and are pretty good on the road. Yes secu isn’t Cameron and it’s not fun playing in front of twice as many yellow seats as people. But Hofstra, Ne, Wm, Charleston sort of beat us pretty handily. 

What are we doing differently on the road. In the caa 5-2 on the road and 4-4 at home 

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I also want to add, they need to find out why we struggle at home recently and are pretty good on the road. Yes secu isn’t Cameron and it’s not fun playing in front of twice as many yellow seats as people. But Hofstra, Ne, Wm, Charleston sort of beat us pretty handily. 

What are we doing differently on the road. In the caa 5-2 on the road and 4-4 at home 

That's the million dollar question. But haven't lost to garbage, falling to NE, Charleston, Hofstra and W&M at home. Played their best games of the year against Drexel and Delaware. I just think when the going gets tough, there is a certain mental toughness needed to get over the hump and maybe even a leadership issue. No reason, even if we're the fifth-best team in the league as I predicted, that we couldn't steal a game from a really good team at home. Even UNCW has. Maybe it's a fact that all those four squads have superstars and we don't. Even Delaware has one in Darling.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

That's the million dollar question. But haven't lost to garbage, falling to NE, Charleston, Hofstra and W&M at home. Played their best games of the year against Drexel and Delaware. I just think when the going gets tough, there is a certain mental toughness needed to get over the hump and maybe even a leadership issue. No reason, even if we're the fifth-best team in the league as I predicted, that we couldn't steal a game from a really good team at home. Even UNCW has. Maybe it's a fact that all those four squads have superstars and we don't. Even Delaware has one in Darling.

Hmm could be. But other teams have played well/decent here as well. Winning on the road anywhere is tough. 

I don’t think we have done a good job of playing to our strengths this season. But I’ll bring that up when the season is over.  

Nobody wants to hear it after the loss, but the fact that we've worked on some form of the press is big. Especially for next year when we have Mims, Solly back, Darrick Jones and Victor. But I'm not going to go into that now. It's something that we can't use for 40 minutes right now. Not with 8 players. But on the first attempt against W&M, we forced a turnover, probably because they weren't prepared for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hmm could be. But other teams have played well/decent here as well. Winning on the road anywhere is tough. 

I don’t think we have done a good job of playing to our strengths this season. But I’ll bring that up when the season is over.  

I assume one of the strengths you'll be talking about is transition and when it comes to tempo and I think we're ranked 310th in the nation or close to it. We do try to run off of misses, assuming we corral the boards, but need to push the ball off of makes as well.

I had a bad feeling before this game. Seems like we have seen this before: Big game, good crowd, playoff implications...and we drop the ball. This is every Towson program we just can’t seem to get over the hump when it really counts

• Like 1