• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tippett, Watson lead FB over W&M, 26-14

Towson was up 12-0 but had a blocked extra point and a missed two-point conversion. They also had a key penalty after the second touchdown on Ellis Knudson after a 62-yard punt return by freshman Coby Tippett that gave the Tribe great field position. This was a game that was dominated early on by Towson and then the Tribe woke up on offense. Towson started missing tackles, especially on young quarterback Tommy McKee. 

But when the Tigers began to slow the run down, they forced McKee to throw. A late pick by Jamal Watson with a return to the two in the fourth quarter basically put this game away.

W&M had 316 total yards and 148 on the ground. Towson had just 238 yards and 98 on the ground on 31 carries. Tippett ended up with 14 tackles and the 62-yard punt return for a TD. Monty Fenner and Keon Paye added nine tackles. K.Anderson had a big game with 5 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

Ryan Stover wasn't great. He struggled early on and came on late. He completed 13 of 23 for 140 yards with a pick. He did have 22 yards rushing including a TD that clinched the game after the Watson INT. Kobe Young added 52 yards on 11 carries with one TD. He also had 3 catches for 31 yards.

It wasn't pretty. Towson was down 14-12 for a good portion of the game. Once they took the lead at 19-14, they were able to hold on because the W&M offense was stagnant thanks to a pretty good effort on D by Towson

A W is a W is a W. Too bad we didn’t pull out Elon so we would have had a chance at a winning season.

If you think about it, we could have pitched a shutout-Fenner dropped an INT & they score a TD, & Tippett (I think) had an INT wiped out by a penalty & they go onto score a TD.

Season finale next week against an improved URI.

No matter what happens next week the results of the season are not what we expected and not acceptable. But losing your starting QB week 1 puts you behind the 8 ball when you turn to a redshirt freshman.  IMO the defense has been impressive for the majority of the season. If they didn't have to be on the field as much as they have the numbers would be even better. A win at Elon and at Stony Brook would've made this season feel significantly better and probably would've included a trip to the playoffs. 

So while we want to bury this coaching staff and say how bad they are. I look back I think they've done a pretty damn good job improving this team throughout the season.  We played against 4 ranked teams in the best FCS league in the nation, throw in a Big10 team as welll  4-6 isn't all that bad.  

I fully expect this team to get better as we move forward and just hope we can stop saying coulda, woulda, shoulda and make the playoffs in 2018  

• Like 1

CAA will likely send 5 teams to the playoffs this year (JMU, Elon, Stony Brook, UNH & Delaware). So, we don’t have to run the table to get a playoff bid next year, but rather claw our way into a top 5 finish in the conference.

IMHO, the recipe for accomplishing this goal is: (in no particular order)

(1) A new offensive coordinator;

(2) A tandem of 200+ pound RB’s who can move the pile & absorb the inherent punishment attendant to the position;

(3) More explosive plays (20+ yards) from the passing game

(4) An influx of talent on the D-Line.

Well, now that I’ve fixed the football team, I can turn my attention to less pressing matters, like North Korea 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

CAA will likely send 5 teams to the playoffs this year (JMU, Elon, Stony Brook, UNH & Delaware). So, we don’t have to run the table to get a playoff bid next year, but rather claw our way into a top 5 finish in the conference.

IMHO, the recipe for accomplishing this goal is: (in no particular order)

(1) A new offensive coordinator;

(2) A tandem of 200+ pound RB’s who can move the pile & absorb the inherent punishment attendant to the position;

(3) More explosive plays (20+ yards) from the passing game

(4) An influx of talent on the D-Line.

Well, now that I’ve fixed the football team, I can turn my attention to less pressing matters, like North Korea 

kEEP UP THE GOOD WORK 88!

5 playoff teams from the CAA is a stretch.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

These projections have JMU, Stony Brook, Elon, and UNH in the fold.

CAA is the #2 FCS Conference rated by Sagarin:

15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 61.61 59.11 10 ( 15)

18 COLONIAL (AA)= 54.36 55.06 12 ( 19)

21 BIG SKY (AA)= 51.15 50.30 13 ( 21)

23 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 47.34 47.13 8 ( 23)

24 SOUTHERN (AA)= 46.99 45.48 9 ( 24)

25 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 45.06 44.79 6 ( 25)

26 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 41.29 41.48 11 ( 26)

As to the rest of Andy's Ghost's wish list...

(1) A new offensive coordinator;  Rob will never fire his brother.  Jammer returns in 2018 unless he gets a job elsewhere, which is unlikely.

(2) A tandem of 200+ pound RB’s who can move the pile & absorb the inherent punishment attendant to the position; 200 lbs backs with speed, talent and ability grow on trees, why not ask for 3, plus an NFL caliber QB and some FBS wideouts.

(3) More explosive plays (20+ yards) from the passing game see above - hard to have explosive plays without explosive players with speed.

(4) An influx of talent on the D-Line. Wish in one hand, poop in the other... which one fills up first?

Actually it was my wish list.

First, there is precious little difference between 4 or 5 CAA teams making the playoffs. If Delaware wins Saturday it will be 8-3, with a legit shot at the dance. Even arguendo if they don’t make it, the point of my missive is that we don’t have to finish 1st in the conference to make the playoffs.

Now, as to my wishlist. I bet you lunch or dinner that there will be a new OC next season. Two, I didn’t specify 200 lb backs with NFL pedigrees. Surely you don’t suggest every 200 lb college RB is NFL bound. My point here was that our current RB’s are simply too small. Three, 20+ yard pass plays can be a function of good route running & crisp passing, in addition to speed. With the likes of Allen, Greenwood, Leatherbury, Dorsey & the kid who redshirted this year, we might not be Air Coryell but we should be able to stretch the field from time to time. I’m not quite sure how to reply to your wish vs poop analogy, other than to say it was, after all, a wish list. So, with that in mind, I’m still wishing that we’ll bring in 2 D-Line transfers who can actually see the field & be productive. You make it sound like that happening is akin to hitting the powerball jackpot. I respectfully dissent.

• Like 1