• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs Elon in home finale 84-71 (story up)

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Well, will there be sit-out transfers anymore? That's another story and I would think that would kill mid-major basketball if guys don't have to sit. Everybody thinks that grass is greener. 

But, it was a different feeling last season when the two seniors left. Great guys, but it was time to move on. Give me another two weeks and if we lay an egg in the CAAs with our seniors playing like crap. I might be saying the same thing I said about last year's class (lol). 

Grad transfers. Bilal Dixon? Good. The big kid from Dayton. Not so good. Alex Gavrilovic. Can't remember another grad transfer.

Let’s be honest grad transfers started as moving from higher schools to mids. Now it’s the opposite.  The exception is players coming form good academic high majors to good academic mids. That or a quick fix from a new coaching staff ala WM. 

It is a step. Hopefully a new coach comes in with a different philosophy than pats to help. Victor will be so much bigger than others out there. Should watch some tape what kansas does with udoka azoubouke. Lobs. Layups and dunks. 

88 Delaware would have to be. Drexel has some talent coming back. Jmu probably a new coach with lots of rising seniors. Elon is one of the youngest teams in the country. 

Want to add fobbs did a good job defending the post the last two games. Yes the foreign 7 footer from wm isn’t wilt chamberlain but he Held his own.   Gibson’s play was great today the effort to save it and just chuck the ball to the opponents hoop. It led to a layup which is nice but just nice to see good iq out there today 

Edited by TuTigers2012

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I just did a very quick read of an article discussing the possible elimination of the rule that an athlete who transfers has to sit out a year. The article I read suggests it’s not if it’s going to happen, but when. And the when is perhaps as soon as later this year. If/when this goes through, it’ll be terrible, IMHO, for mid-majors (like us), who will become farm teams for the P5. If a talented mid-major kid knows he can transfer to a bigger program without sitting out a year, that will lead to mid-major kids getting poached, even more than they are now

Exactly. It’s really the end of amateur athletics. Players should absolutely be permitted to transfer anywhere with out sitting out, only if their coach leaves/is fired or they graduate. 

The article I read analogized it to non-student athlete undergrad students, who can transfer from 1 school to another, literally from one semester to the next. I think that’s an oversimplification, but I understand the notion that a kid should have freedom of movement. I still don’t like it

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Exactly. It’s really the end of amateur athletics. Players should absolutely be permitted to transfer anywhere with out sitting out, only if their coach leaves/is fired or they graduate. 

I don't know if I'd be that dramatic, but for mid-majors, it's going to be tough and might cause cheating just to try and keep players. But remember, we do have Cost of Attendance and a lot of other mid-major schools don't. It's about the only thing that can keep us competitive. We also need that in football, but that's another story.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

The article I read analogized it to non-student athlete undergrad students, who can transfer from 1 school to another, literally from one semester to the next. I think that’s an oversimplification, but I understand the notion that a kid should have freedom of movement. I still don’t like it

It goes both ways. The schools use the players and now some players will use the schools to jump to so-called bigger schools. Then those schools will use those players as bench fodder. How has that W&M transfer Justin Pierce done at North Carolina? He's averaging a little over 5 points per game at one of the worst teams in the ACC. Imagine if they were good. He'd never play. But I get it. He was a grad transfer who didn't want to play for a new coach at W&M, but maybe he should have transferred to VCU or to the A-10. The ACC sucks this year and it's like jumping to the NBA, when you leave the CAA.

Look closer home, to the curious case of one Justin Gorham. He’s averaging 3ppg this season at Houston. Maybe his numbers will go up next year, but who knows. Perhaps he also would have been better served if he had set his sights a little lower 

BTW, I'm watching Charleston get their ass kicked at UNCW 55-39. Maybe they want the sixth seed. I don't know how we can't beat these dudes. Basically a two-man team, but Riller looks disinterested or tired. Probably both. 

I was waiting to comment on the C of C game, but the 🐈 is out of the bag now. Why, rhetorically, can UNCW & Elon beat C of C, and we can’t? (Didn’t they lose to Elon this year?) 

I get how good Riller is, but I don’t think his supporting cast is necessarily the best, although Miller usually sticks it to us

15 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I don't know if I'd be that dramatic, but for mid-majors, it's going to be tough and might cause cheating just to try and keep players. But remember, we do have Cost of Attendance and a lot of other mid-major schools don't. It's about the only thing that can keep us competitive. We also need that in football, but that's another story.

Free agency. Just my opinion 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Look closer home, to the curious case of one Justin Gorham. He’s averaging 3ppg this season at Houston. Maybe his numbers will go up next year, but who knows. Perhaps he also would have been better served if he had set his sights a little lower 

I feel like he would have been a very good mid major stretch 4. Oh well

charleston getting hammered. They are good against the good teams but have lost to all of the bottom feeders. Crazy. Also coug fans calling for a change in leadership... see..