• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB beats Hofstra 76-65 to break their 8-game winning streak

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=289712

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/2/27/mens-basketball-chairmen-of-the-boards-towson-beats-hofstra.aspx

Brian Fobbs scored 21 points to lead Towson to a 76-65 road win over Hofstra from Hempstead on Thursday night. The Tigers held star guard Desure Buie to six points on 2-of-14 shooting, after he scored 35 in the first meeting at SECU Arena. But this game was won on the boards as the Tigers outrebounded the Pride 49-26 and had 24 offensive rebounds. More later on the standings.

Here are comments from Pat Skerry after the game on TSN;
"Hofstra is tremendous. Will probably win regular season title. Mihalich has done a great job. I thought our defense was really good. Our guys played like men on the boards. Jakigh was tremendous, Nick, CHarles off the bench. Took care of the ball. Forced tough shots. Allen responded in the second half. We had a lot of freshmen on the floor playing big minutes. Kevin Clark had the scout, He's such a valuable guy on staff. He keeps me calm relatively calm. Our staff did a great job getting us prepared.

"Fobbs is the best defensive player in the league. He started on Buie and moved to Pemberton. As good a two-way player as there is. Nick has improved. Gibson has come along defensively. Jakigh is really good. Northeastern had their way with us. We had a bad night. Will be a tough game Sunday. Nick and Jakigh coming home. We have 18 wins. Hopefully we have a couple more in us."

We are now alone in third at 11-6 with Delaware and Charleston tied at 10-7. W&M at 12-5. Delaware has a feisty UNCW team on Saturday they should beat. W&M has Elon at home. I don't know who has the tiebreaker if we end up tied with Delaware. Oh double check that. We beat W&M once and they were swept. So after beating Hofstra and with Delaware beating Hofstra once, we have the tiebreaker because of the W&M win. Of course, Charleston has the tiebreaker over us. So assuming they beat Drexel at home and we lose to NE, they get third. And we would face Delaware in the 4/5 game. NE will get 6th. 

So, what happens if we beat NE on Sunday & somehow W&M loses at home Saturday to Elon? We’d both be 12-6 & split during the regular season. Who gets the tiebreaker & 2nd place?

3rd seed (or even 2nd) is ideal, assuming we can knock off NE.  With the 3 seed we likely get W&M in semis who is beatable and then the best of Hofstra, Delaware and Charleston who all have little depth on the 3rd straight day of play.   Fingers crossed.

We lose to Hofstra, W&M, Charleston and NE at home. Beat Hofstra and W&M on the road. Can we beat NE on the road? Hard to explain this season in CBB.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

So, what happens if we beat NE on Sunday & somehow W&M loses at home Saturday to Elon? We’d both be 12-6 & split during the regular season. Who gets the tiebreaker & 2nd place?

That's a tough one. I think they win because they swept Delaware but what if Delaware loses. I think they get the tiebreaker. Not 100% sure because they also split with Hofstra. They also split with Charleston so my guess is they get 2nd either way.

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

wm. They have the tiebreak. 3 is the highest we can go. They are 1-1 against hoftsra. 1-1 against Charleston and 2-0 against Del 

I'm sure the guys at the CAA will work on all the tiebreakers after tonight and post it somewhere or send it to the media. But I think we are playing for third on Sunday. NE is likely still sixth, but I don't know all their tiebreakers with Charleston and Delaware, who should win their last games against Drexel and UNCW respectively.

Bottom line is win and you're third. Lose and you're either 4th or 5 and that doesn't really matter. Lose and we could still face Delaware if they lose. 

If we play that well defensively and on the boards, we can beat anybody. Shot 6 of 18 from 3 with Timberlake, Gibson and Dottin combining for 1 for 11 from three. Fobbs was 3 for 4. Betrand 2 for 3. I still want to see AB wake up in the first half and become more involved offensively. Right now, he's a closer, but come tournament time, you can't wait. Gotta play 40 minutes or 30 when he's in.

• Like 1