• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB beats Hofstra 76-65 to break their 8-game winning streak

44 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Am I wrong?  There are more people that want him out than want him here on this board. 

Not going to speak for everyone who is on that side; but this is year 9 and we have seen stagnant/no growth over the past 5 years after Benimon (There has been some this year, and again we all give credit where its due)

Taking out 2011-2012 he has 130-118 record through yesterday. That's decent/OK. Is it worthy of the 8 year crazy extension he got? NO.

He had the 2 time POTY and didn't make it to the CAA Finals. Numerous transfers who did not work out.

78-63 CAA record through yesterday. This is pretty good, I'll give him that. We beat up on the bad teams and usually come up short against the top tier. The CAA has been AWFUL since he took over so take that with a grain of salt. The CAA has 1 NCAA win since he took over and that was VCU his first year. The CAA only has 1 team win a game in the NIT in that time as well, and that was again his first year. 

2-6 in the CAA Tournament and 0 Final appearances. This is what needs to change and why people are antsy. Win 2 games next week.

16 hours ago, mat1992 said:

One other thing and as much as critique, including myself, losses. Praise needs to be thrown at the coaches for some nice adjustments during the game. I thought+ we did a nice job mixing up defenses in the first half, playing some zone. Even though it didn't work, they got out of it but mixing up the defenses helps. Mixing up the personnel as well. Using Dottin against Buie and going back to the small lineup when Sanders picked up two quick fouls and Tunstall was well ineffective on offense. The small lineup is a must esp. with Gray out. When you can spread the offense with Fobbs and Timberlake up front instead of having Tunstall (sorry) shoot bricks from the outside, it makes us tougher to guard. We should go small a min. of 15 minutes per game, but also depends on matchup. Tough to do it against W&M.

I was thinking of a tactful way to post the following observation last night, but I couldn’t come up with anything-we are a much better team on offense (at least we were last night) when Tunstall is on the bench. 

20 minutes ago, tualum said:

I'll be content with winning 1 or 2 games in the tourney. After that I'll hold reservation if I want him gone or not...

lol

2-6  2 AND 6.

Needs to make the Finals. 

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not going to speak for everyone who is on that side; but this is year 9 and we have seen stagnant/no growth over the past 5 years after Benimon (There has been some this year, and again we all give credit where its due)

Taking out 2011-2012 he has 130-118 record through yesterday. That's decent/OK. Is it worthy of the 8 year crazy extension he got? NO.

He had the 2 time POTY and didn't make it to the CAA Finals. Numerous transfers who did not work out.

78-63 CAA record through yesterday. This is pretty good, I'll give him that. We beat up on the bad teams and usually come up short against the top tier. The CAA has been AWFUL since he took over so take that with a grain of salt. The CAA has 1 NCAA win since he took over and that was VCU his first year. The CAA only has 1 team win a game in the NIT in that time as well, and that was again his first year. 

2-6 in the CAA Tournament and 0 Final appearances. This is what needs to change and why people are antsy. Win 2 games next week.

Only thing I will say about the Benimon era is he only had him for one year in the tournament so you can judge them on that one year, but if he had two? Who knows.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I was thinking of a tactful way to post the following observation last night, but I couldn’t come up with anything-we are a much better team on offense (at least we were last night) when Tunstall is on the bench. 

Yes, he’s a net negative as a power forward that can’t stretch the floor. Probably should play less minutes unless we play William & Mary.

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Only thing I will day about the Benimon era is he only had him for one year in the tournament so you can judge them on that one year, but if he had two? Who knows.

Still went 1-1 with him in the tournament at home. The win was a real grind it out struggle to against a 7 seed.

23 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Totally agree with the CAA tournament record. To me showing the quick improvement over last year is very telling of him as a coach. In the 18-19 season he was expecting his top 2 played back and they both left for “greener pastures”.  Very few mid-major coaches can bounce back from that being thrown at you last minute. 

We have been competitive in every season he’s been here since his first. As a KC Chiefs fan, it took Andy Reid a while too. 
The grass isn’t always greener and I’m not sure coaches are knocking down the door after the guy who flips the program from nothing to something gets canned. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Totally agree with the CAA tournament record. To me showing the quick improvement over last year is very telling of him as a coach. In the 18-19 season he was expecting his top 2 played back and they both left for “greener pastures”.  Very few mid-major coaches can bounce back from that being thrown at you last minute. 

We have been competitive in every season he’s been here since his first. As a KC Chiefs fan, it took Andy Reid a while too. 
The grass isn’t always greener and I’m not sure coaches are knocking down the door after the guy who flips the program from nothing to something gets canned. 

So because a guy who “turned it around” but never made the NCAA’s in a weak conference and a little above 500 record had 15 years of job security before finally leaving, we won’t get good candidates?🤔

I’ve said this before. You don’t know until you try. There are tons of young hungry coaches out there.  I along with others would love for Towson to be a stepping stone school for coaches because that means they won. Rather than middle aged coaches being here over a decade and stagnant programs???

• Like 1