• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB gets 3rd seed; Squeezes by NE 75-72 in finale

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=277400

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/3/1/mens-basketball-towsons-finishes-strong-in-road-win-at-northeastern.aspx

Towson will play Northeastern in the quarterfinals next Sunday night at 8:30pm in Washington D.C. after they downed the Huskies 75-72 from Boston. Towson finishes at 12-6 in the CAA and 19-12 in the regular season. A loss would have meant a 4-5 matchup with Delaware at 2:30pm. Now a win, means another 8:30pm start on Monday night against the winner of the William & Mary vs. Elon/JMU game. That game will be televised on CBS Sports Network. The quarterfinals will be on Flo Sports.

The Tigers were led by Jason Gibson and Brian Fobbs with 18 points apiece. Fobbs also had a game-high six boards for Towson, who only outrebounded the smaller Huskies by one. Northeastern shot 47% from the field, but just 8-of-30 from beyond the arc. Towson shot 49% from the field and 18 of 23 from the line. The Huskies had a chance to tie the game at the end as Jason Strong missed a wide open three (Allen Betrand for some reason doubled Shaquille Walters, possibly trying to foul him?). 

So glad to be wrong about picking them fifth. Who thought they would go from 0-3 at home to third place? Not one person on this board. Good job by the staff, but we know what matters now.  Northeastern will be ready and it doesn't matter if we're the bigger or more talented team, we have to be ready. Especially if Thomas Murphy, the 6-8 sharpshooter returns. It would be nice if we had Gray back to neutralize him for a bit. But I'm guessing that will be a reach.

Thought Jakigh Dottin gave the team some nice minutes off the bench and playing in his hometown. Nick Timberlake didn't quite have the same effect going 1 for 7. Thought PS did a nice job sitting Gibson after he committed two bad turnovers, including one a bad lob pass to Timberlake. He sat for about five minutes or so it seemed. Got back in there and was the baby-faced assassin, going 5 of 6 from three-point range. Not bad. Hopefully he makes All-Rookie team.  Also, Charles Thompson was very good with 8 points, but his free throw shooting is so bad he can't really be on the floor late in games.

Kind of sloppy game defensively. I'm sure the staff will be working on some of the communication issues. I hate to pinpoint Betrand, because it wasn't all his fault, but he seemed to be around during several layups and wide open threes. Overall, he needs to play better, not just to beat NE next week but to get past (most likely) W&M. Can't win with a subpar game from him again and this wasn't a fluke. He's been kind of off since the Regent game. He's only averaging around 10ppg over his last six. 

On the road victories at Hofstra and Northeastern to finish the conference season on a 12-3 run.  Where are all the pitchforks now?   

People are so quick to reaact and say the sky is falling.  I said early on this is one of the most balanced teams Towson has had in a while and was an early fan of Gibson, even though he had many detractors.  

Of course the cries thst it means nothing if they don't beat NE next Sunday will dominate this thread.   That's the nature of the internet. 

But I say enjoy it for a week and give these kids and the coaching staff credit, for the turnaround.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really impressed with how we finished the season. Let’s see a show of hands-how many people had us going 2-0 on this road trip? I know I didn’t. Honestly, I was concerned we’d go 0-2

When we were down by 5 in the 2nd half, we could of folded, but didn’t. That was refreshing. Can’t say enough about Fobbs & Gibson. The latter has turned out to be quite a recruiting coup by PS. Also loved Thompson’s offensive game in the 1st half. I’m hoping he’s one of those guys who improves his game between freshman and sophomore season. A couple of highlight reel blocks by Tunstall & kudos to Sanders for hitting 8 foul shots. Rough game for Betrand. We need him to bounce back starting next Sunday. 

Soooo, for us, the road to the conference championship game does not go through either C of C or Hofstra, so we got that going for us

On to DC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Really impressed with how we finished the season. Let’s see a show of hands-how many people had us going 2-0 on this road trip? I know I didn’t. Honestly, I was concerned we’d go 0-2

When we were down by 5 in the 2nd half, we could of folded, but didn’t. That was refreshing. Can’t say enough about Fobbs & Gibson. The latter has turned out to be quite a recruiting coup by PS. Also loved Thompson’s offensive game in the 1st half. I’m hoping he’s one of those guys who improves his game between freshman and sophomore season. A couple of highlight reel blocks by Tunstall & kudos to Sanders for hitting 8 foul shots. Rough game for Betrand. We need him to bounce back starting next Sunday. 

Soooo, for us, the road to the conference championship game does not go through either C of C or Hofstra, so we got that going for us

On to DC

It's crazy to think two of those early losses in the 0-3 run were to Hofstra and NE and we beat them on the road. We manhandled Hofstra. Showed what this team is capable of doing with defense, rebounding, Fobbs, a decent bench and a real point guard that can shoot. I don't know what the future holds for this team. But I do know that they were really good on the road and well, mediocre at home. I do think playing those tough road games and neutral site games have helped in conference play. Hopefully will help in D.C, esp. since we already played there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucketsandbirds said:

On the road victories at Hofstra and Northeastern to finish the conference season on a 12-3 run.  Where are all the pitchforks now?   

People are so quick to reaact and say the sky is falling.  I said early on this is one of the most balanced teams Towson has had in a while and was an early fan of Gibson, even though he had many detractors.  

Of course the cries thst it means nothing if they don't beat NE next Sunday will dominate this thread.   That's the nature of the internet. 

But I say enjoy it for a week and give these kids and the coaching staff credit, for the turnaround.  

Lol. Getting boat raced the first 3 games of caa play wasn’t good. A tight game late at Uncw facing 0-4 start would have been bad. Glad I and others were wrong. 

7-2 on the road is really something. They’ve won them different ways too which is impressive. They are going to need to bring it next Sunday. NE isn’t a bad as their 9-9 record is. They were missing their second best player/freshman of the year Today. 

As mat said we need the early February betrand back. 

And of course the pitch forks would be back with a loss. That would be 2-7 which is beyond unacceptable. 

I’m no coach, but it occurred to me at the end of the game, when we struggled 2X to inbound the ball, that it would be nice to have Gibson, a great foul shooter, not being the guy inbounding the ball, but instead having 1 of the bigs do it. I guess PS trusts Gibson’s decision making as far as inbounding, but how nice would it be to have the guy throwing it in have 3 great foul shooters (Gibson, Betrand & Fobbs) to have as options 

Just now, TSU88 said:

I’m no coach, but it occurred to me at the end of the game, when we struggled 2X to inbound the ball, that it would be nice to have Gibson, a great foul shooter, not being the guy inbounding the ball, but instead having 1 of the bigs do it. I guess PS trusts Gibson’s decision making as far as inbounding, but how nice would it be to have the guy throwing it in have 3 great foul shooters (Gibson, Betrand & Fobbs) to have as options 

I only got the last few minutes of the game on the radio and thought the same thing. Maybe have dottin In to inbound? Him inbounding to a gray Gibson betrand and fobbs quartet would be deadly 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

I said that on the chat. Last thing you want is Timberlake or Sanders to get fouled. I guess they don't trust Timberlake to inbound the ball. Or Gibson also needs to go and get that ball. He's our Four McGibson. Good thing is Sanders at least is respectable from the line. Of course, the refs froze him for some reason looking at replay for clock? They said the refs weren't sure who got fouled. Huh? He's number 20, 6-8, 240. Kind of hard to miss.

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I only got the last few minutes of the game on the radio and thought the same thing. Maybe have dottin In to inbound? Him inbounding to a gray Gibson betrand and fobbs quartet would be deadly 

Not sure I would put Gray in that category. Even if he's back, I don't know if I want him on the floor late in games. No way he's 100%. But sure, have Dottin inbound it and take Timberlake out. I think Gibson's slight frame makes it a bit more difficult for him to get open with all that traffic. But, you're right. Dottin might be the guy, though his FT shooting is iffy. Let's say he gets the ball to Betrand, he gets doubled and gives it back to Dottin who is 22 of 31, which isn't bad at 71%, but he's had very few opportunities. Gibson is 57 of 64, which is 89.1% and Four territory. He needs to get to the line more in the future.