• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB gets 3rd seed; Squeezes by NE 75-72 in finale

For our eligibility experts-could Murphy, who’s only played 4 games this year (thus clearly making him eligible to redshirt) come back and play in the conference tournament, and not burn his redshirt? I always thought it was for guys who got injured early in the year and never returned. Or is it simply that you play less than 30% of your teams games, regardless of when you play the games

41 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

For our eligibility experts-could Murphy, who’s only played 4 games this year (thus clearly making him eligible to redshirt) come back and play in the conference tournament, and not burn his redshirt? I always thought it was for guys who got injured early in the year and never returned. Or is it simply that you play less than 30% of your teams games, regardless of when you play the games

I think Timberlake played 9 games last year? So that was 9 of the 32 games. That was 28% of the games. He never returned though. But that's a good point that he came back instead of sat out. Yet, he should be able to still get another year for playing less than 30% of their games. I would think they could petition the NCAA, but who knows if he wants to play five years. He has some Finnish blood so maybe he goes there and plays pro.

If the website informedathlete.com is correct, he’ll lose a whole year of eligibility if he plays in the tournament. According to the site, if a player plays after the halfway point of the season, he’s not redshirt eligible 

59A8E347-776B-496B-A200-2F970794E14F.png

We shot 1-11 from 3 in our first meeting with NE.  Split the series and I’m very confident we get it done again a week from today.  13-3 since the 0-3 start.. nice job players & staff. 
PS sounds like a man with a plan in the postgame these days and we couldn’t say that earlier in the season. 

Our leading scorer shot 11-21 combined in that DC tournament for a total of 37 points.

And Fobbs is averaging 19.3 points in our last 3 wins   

We are gonna be a tough team to beat and win or lose..  get there freshman in a tournament of some sorts.

Gibson and Thompson are gonna take us dancing before their careers finish..  Very impressive freshman  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 out of 16 to finish the season.  I'd say we're peaking at the right time.  They've proven over the second half of the season that they can beat anybody (except Charleston).  The games may not be pretty and they may have to really grind them out, but the end results have spoken for themselves.  I'm not the biggest fan of playing a team in the tournament immediately after having played them to finish the regular season but that's the hand we're dealt.  I thought we could have done a much better job defensively as there were too many open looks in the paint and the defensive boards weren't the greatest.  Offensively, we got a number of timely makes, which is something we struggle with at times.  I didn't realize Timberlake only had the one make but that pullup elbow jumper was pretty textbook.  Gibson plays like a freshman at times and loses control (the failed lob to Timberlake that got him a seat on the bench) but his shots under duress in the 2nd half were pretty key.  And I'm really finding a liking with Thompson outside of his free throw shooting.  I'd look for big things out of him next year.  We need Betrand to get back on track because if Fobbs gets his average and everyone else contributes like they have in this second half of the season, there's no reason why we can't win this tournament.

I think the biggest thing to come out of this season is that we finally found a point guard. If you've only watched certain games this season, maybe the ones not on Flo Sports, it's tough to judge how good and how much progress Jason Gibson has made. From going scoreless in three straight games against Vermont, UMBC and Morgan State, to looking overmatched against Florida, Xavier and Buffalo to becoming a very competent starter. 

He had back-to-back turnovers tonight. That was rare and he was justifiably pulled for 3-4 minutes. Then he came back and responded well to help the Tigers win the game going 5-of-6 from 3-point range. Do you know how many turnovers he had aside from those two turnovers in the second half? None.  Do you know how many turnovers he has in his last seven games? He has five. Do you know how many turnovers Tobias Howard had as the starting point guard last season? He had 74 to go along with 80 assists. Jakigh Dottin actually did a much better job taking care of the ball last year (60 assists, 34 turnovers) when he started in half the games. This year, he has 67 assists and 29 turnovers. while Gibson has 67 assists and 42 turnovers in about 8 more minutes per game. 

Bottom line is that point guard play has been much better. Gibson's three-point shooting is up to 36.4% overall and 41% in conference play. Also shooting 89% from the line. While he's not a threat to make the All-Defensive team, his defense has become dramatically better since the start of the season.

He was a very good HS player and held his own against Virginia recruit Casey Morsell (Mike's brother) in high school. But he wasn't heavily recruited and we're fortunate he's with us. Too small, too thin, not athletic enough, slow release on his shot? All I know is that this kid plays with a chip on his shoulder and gives us hope for the future with his poise, instincts and guts.

For NE...PS, please stop hedging! When you play good on-man defense , you don’t need to hedge.  Gut wrenching watching layups and dunks being given up for no reason. Also,  run the offense through Sanders .  NE has no answer , gonna take a patient team to execute it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I think the biggest thing to come out of this season is that we finally found a point guard. If you've only watched certain games this season, maybe the ones not on Flo Sports, it's tough to judge how good and how much progress Jason Gibson has made. From going scoreless in three straight games against Vermont, UMBC and Morgan State, to looking overmatched against Florida, Xavier and Buffalo to becoming a very competent starter. 

He had back-to-back turnovers tonight. That was rare and he was justifiably pulled for 3-4 minutes. Then he came back and responded well to help the Tigers win the game going 5-of-6 from 3-point range. Do you know how many turnovers he had aside from those two turnovers in the second half? None.  Do you know how many turnovers he has in his last seven games? He has five. Do you know how many turnovers Tobias Howard had as the starting point guard last season? He had 74 to go along with 80 assists. Jakigh Dottin actually did a much better job taking care of the ball last year (60 assists, 34 turnovers) when he started in half the games. This year, he has 67 assists and 29 turnovers. while Gibson has 67 assists and 42 turnovers in about 8 more minutes per game. 

Bottom line is that point guard play has been much better. Gibson's three-point shooting is up to 36.4% overall and 41% in conference play. Also shooting 89% from the line. While he's not a threat to make the All-Defensive team, his defense has become dramatically better since the start of the season.

He was a very good HS player and held his own against Virginia recruit Casey Morsell (Mike's brother) in high school. But he wasn't heavily recruited and we're fortunate he's with us. Too small, too thin, not athletic enough, slow release on his shot? All I know is that this kid plays with a chip on his shoulder and gives us hope for the future with his poise, instincts and guts.

Yep. Think point guard play has improved immensely with Gibson and the offense has flowed better. Kudos to Skerry for finally stepping outside of his comfort zone and recruiting a pure PG for a change. The game was back and forth and honestly if NE had hit their open shots early (including the last defensive debacle where the guy was open for a wide open 3 to tie) we would have lost probably. The next game will be a toss up and could see us losing if defense doesn't improve...

2 hours ago, RundaPower said:

For NE...PS, please stop hedging! When you play good on-man defense , you don’t need to hedge.  Gut wrenching watching layups and dunks being given up for no reason. Also,  run the offense through Sanders .  NE has no answer , gonna take a patient team to execute it. 

There is no question that he WILL NOT stop hedging. That his philosophy and has been since he got here.  I agree with getting the ball in to Sanders. 

To me, the key next weekend is Betrand coming out of his mini-funk. It's not just that his scoring is off, but he's been flat-footed on defense and just looks out of it sometimes. He can be a difference maker, so the coaches need to work some magic getting him refocused.

• Like 1