• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB gets 3rd seed; Squeezes by NE 75-72 in finale

14 hours ago, bucketsandbirds said:

Ok. Bad math by me.  It is a good "mix" of vets and youth.   Hopefully they can put a complete 40 minutes together.   Going against a Bill Coen coached team with a week to prepare for what he just saw first hand in a loss is no small task. 

This is what makes me nervous. We win by 3. Now the opposing team has a week to prepare for us. Scary

"Bet with your head, not your heart."  That's the first lesson of wagering.

I desperately want Towson to get to the Big Dance.  I WANT to believe that they can do it this year.  My *heart* tells me that they are capable.

However, my *head* tells me to look at our track record in the CAA tourney.  Nothing in our CAA tourney history says that we're able to reel off three straight wins.

I just hope everyone here has realistic expectations for what might happen in D.C. 

If Skerry finds a way to pull this off, I will send him a bouquet of flowers with an apology letter and a bottle of his favorite spirit. (Does he drink? If so, anyone know what he likes?)

GO TIGERS!!

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

To me, the key next weekend is Betrand coming out of his mini-funk. It's not just that his scoring is off, but he's been flat-footed on defense and just looks out of it sometimes. He can be a difference maker, so the coaches need to work some magic getting him refocused.

Spot on. It’s not just his offensive game that’s been off. At one point yesterday he ran away from Bolden on D, resulting in Bolden draining an open 3. I sat there yelled at the TV, “why are you running away from a 3-point shooter?!!” Unfortunately, my tv failed to give me a satisfactory answer, and the 3-pointer counted

5 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

"Bet with your head, not your heart."  That's the first lesson of wagering.

I desperately want Towson to get to the Big Dance.  I WANT to believe that they can do it this year.  My *heart* tells me that they are capable.

However, my *head* tells me to look at our track record in the CAA tourney.  Nothing in our CAA tourney history says that we're able to reel off three straight wins.

I just hope everyone here has realistic expectations for what might happen in D.C. 

If Skerry finds a way to pull this off, I will send him a bouquet of flowers with an apology letter and a bottle of his favorite spirit. (Does he drink? If so, anyone know what he likes?)

GO TIGERS!!

This 'track record in the CAA Tourney' bit is a bunch of horse hockey and really has zero relevance to this year's edition.  I could turn around and say that we won 3 games in 3 days in Ft. Myers two years ago and 2 games in 2 days in Belfast a couple weeks after that.  Would that mean anything for this week?  Hell no.  Different players, different opponents...and hopefully different results.  But trying to cite history like that just gives the naysayers their fuel for when things go wrong.  You want to live your fandom that way, go for it.  But what happened last year or any of the years before that has zero to do with this year's team.  Now, what happened 24 hours ago certainly has relevancy and let's hope that we make better adjustments than NE does.

• Like 1

Fairly irrelevant stat, but figured I would share. Only 15 teams in the nation had a better conference record than Towson in their last 15 conference games. Those teams include:

Dayton 15-0, New Mexico State 15-0, East Tennessee State 14-1, Gonzaga 14-1, Kansas 14-1, San Diego State 14-1, Stephen F. Austin 14-1, Baylor 13-2, Kentucky 13-2, Murray State 13-2, North Texas 13-2, Prairie View A&M 13-2, South Dakota State 13-2, UC Irvine 13-2, Vermont 13-2

Towson was one of 35 teams in the nation to go 12-3 or better in the last 15 conference games. Here are the other 19 that were not in the above group:

Belmont 12-3, Bowling Green 12-3, BYU 12-3, Eastern Washington 12-3, Florida State 12-3,  Furman 12-3, Hofstra 12-3, Liberty 12-3, Louisville 12-3, Merrimack 12-3, North Dakota State 12-3, Northern Iowa 12-3, Northern Kentucky 12-3, North Florida 12-3, Radford 12-3, Rhode Island 12-3, Seton Hall 12-3, Winthrop 12-3, Wright State 12-3.

2 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

This 'track record in the CAA Tourney' bit is a bunch of horse hockey and really has zero relevance to this year's edition.  I could turn around and say that we won 3 games in 3 days in Ft. Myers two years ago and 2 games in 2 days in Belfast a couple weeks after that.  Would that mean anything for this week?  Hell no.  Different players, different opponents...and hopefully different results.  But trying to cite history like that just gives the naysayers their fuel for when things go wrong.  You want to live your fandom that way, go for it.  But what happened last year or any of the years before that has zero to do with this year's team.  Now, what happened 24 hours ago certainly has relevancy and let's hope that we make better adjustments than NE does.

That's kind of my point, Chris.  The roster changes every year, assistant coaches come & go and yet Towson hasn't been able to get over the hump in the CAA tournament.  The one constant: Pat Skerry.  Regular season winning streaks are nice......however, at this mid-major level, in this conference the ONLY winning streak that matters is the one you need to get on in the conference tournament.  At this point in the Skerry era,  I could not care less about winning 19 regular season games if there isn't a meaningful post-season payoff in the form of the NCAA Tournament.....NOT the CBI, CTI, CVS, CNN, etc.  This is all on Pat......let's hope, to your point, HE has learned how to make better adjustments when the stakes are at there highest.

38 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

That's kind of my point, Chris.  The roster changes every year, assistant coaches come & go and yet Towson hasn't been able to get over the hump in the CAA tournament.  The one constant: Pat Skerry.  Regular season winning streaks are nice......however, at this mid-major level, in this conference the ONLY winning streak that matters is the one you need to get on in the conference tournament.  At this point in the Skerry era,  I could not care less about winning 19 regular season games if there isn't a meaningful post-season payoff in the form of the NCAA Tournament.....NOT the CBI, CTI, CVS, CNN, etc.  This is all on Pat......let's hope, to your point, HE has learned how to make better adjustments when the stakes are at there highest.

17*

19 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

AtlantaTiger, l realize your initial post was positive and that you are pulling for the Tigers to do well as hard as anyone else on here. However, the logic in your second post is flawed. If this is only about the postseason, what is the point of any of this? This season is a success from the standpoint that we have won 19 games, started to develop some great young pieces in Gibson and Thompson who will hopefully progress going forward and we won 12 of our last 15 games in conference play.

In the vacuum of this season, I would say this team has pretty good momentum heading into the tournament and even probably got the better side of the bracket draw. That being said, we all know we will need to play at a high level to get by a well-coached Northeastern team.  

I think Chris' point is can we play out the game against Northeastern on Sunday before we start talking about Skerry's postseason record. We can determine how relevant the past was after the tournament, but for now, let's give props to Skerry and players for how they bounced back from a horrendous conference start and see if we can beat a good Northeastern team to build off our momentum and make a run of this thing. 

I do realize that is basically what you said in your first post but just wanted to chime in. Go Tigers!