• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB update

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=277104

https://caasports.com/tournaments/?id=141

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/3/5/womens-basketball-mayo-drops-27-jeter-with-19-towson-falls-at-william-mary.aspx

Towson will be the fourth seed in the upcoming CAA Tournament from Elon on March 11-14. They were 9-7 going into tonight's game at 11-5 William & Mary. Who do they face? Of course, 5th seeded Northeastern, (8-9) on Thursday, March 12 at 2:30pm. 

Tonight, they faced W&M and had a long shot of getting the third seed if they beat the Tribe (who beat them earlier at SECU 83-75). Another slow start, they were down 16 in the second half and lost by four 66-62.

But what happened in the last few minutes, is why I continue to ask why teams with athletic ability, length and some depth don't press. Especially when you are facing a much less athletic squad (W&M). Towson pressed out of desperation down double digits, got a bunch of steals and nearly won the game. I hate to use the word choke, but Kiona Jeter, who apparently is leaving after this year as a r-junior as she was a participant in Senior Day, had a great steal with about 40 seconds left. There was nobody within 20 feet of her as she went up for an easy layup and just lost it out of bounds. That basket would have tied the game at 62-62 as W&M was doing their own version of choking. Towson had another chance (oh they had many) with the ball down 2 with 25 seconds left. Q. Murray was trying to run a play, lost the ball, was about to be tied up and called time out. They gave the ball to Jeter again and instead of trying to penetrate, she just threw the ball away I believe looking for LaKaitlin Wright near the basket from about 30 feet away with 6 seconds left. No clue what she was trying to do. 

Jeter ended up with a crazy line of 13 points, seven steals, five turnovers and seven rebounds in 38 minutes. Murray struggled with 8 points on 4-of-13 shooting and had 7 turnovers in 40 minutes. Towson has 24 turnovers and nearly won the game because the Tribe had 23 turnovers. Nukiya Mayo led with 19 points in 33 minutes.

For the first time all year, I was impressed with a Towson center. Wright looked good with 8 points, 7 rebs and 2 blocks in 24 minutes. And she was a +9. She needs to start and play 25 minutes. Mayo started at center and they wound up scoring 25 points in the first half. Not saying that shouldn't be an option, because Coach Rich has gotten little from the 5 spot all year. But now, at least in the last game, it's time to with the 6-3 Mercer transfer Wright.

As for the last game, they need to rest Murray, Mayo and Jeter. They've been playing 35+ minutes all season long. And sure, they'd like to be 15-14 going into the CAA Tournament, but is that really important on Saturday, with a game coming up on Thursday? I'd play the "big 3" 25 minutes or less. Get the bench some minutes. They rarely play save for at the 5 position.

24 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

4 will have to play jmu. Repeating is unlikely 

True though we beat JMU at home this year. They are not unbeatable. I'm concerned about what will happen if all three players don't return. It could get ugly next season and this season has been a major disappointment.

The problem with this team aside from the five spot is that they are never focused to start a game. They got down 7-0 in this one and that's been typical as of late. When they are focused and on the same page (they bicker a lot with themselves and the refs), they can beat anybody or lose in the quarterfinals.