• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Northeastern 72-62 in CAA quarterfinals

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/3/8/mens-basketball-towson-rally-falls-short-against-northeastern.aspx

Back after the one hour trip. I'll have comments below.

Not a surprise. As I mentioned earlier, no AB, no advancement. He was not good and neither was the defense. Should they have gone zone earlier? Yes. I'm tired and will just transcribe the comments. I'm sure we'll be talking about this game and team the next few days, weeks and months to come.

Skerry opening comment

Congrats to NE. They played better than us. Great respect for their program. We just didn't do a good enough job executing defensively, keeping the ball out of the paint. The ball got into the paint way too easily tonight. Then we had some careless turnovers. I appreciate our guys fighting back. We played a lot more zone than we have all year. We needed it to come back in this game. We couldn't handle them off the dribble and they found guys for a lot of layups.

Anything different from the last game they played?

They are an excellent spacing team and a very good shooting team. Last week we guarded pretty well after a bad first 12 minutes. This week, we spent time on coverage stuff. A good team like that isn't going to make a ton of changes. Getting Walker back helped the dynamic, getting in the lane. We just didn't do a good job keeping the ball out of the lane, which has been a pretty good strength of ours. Then we had some guys that had really good years for us, not have particular good nights. 

On offense

NE did a good job on ball screens and packed it in on us. You like the energy. We were excited to play. We had better nights executing. One area we have to get better is that we were better executing further away from home. We stepped out of bounds a few times. Shot at the hands. Shooting percentages reflect that on a couple guys. They scout well. Solid defensive club. We didn't guard great. We had 15 turnovers. Way too many for a team that has been pretty good taking care of the ball all year.

On center

We were fighting foul trouble. When the ball gets in the red zone, you're putting your big guys in harm's way. We played small some due to the Gray injury. We had to. I thought we left our feet a lot when the ball got in there. We were all over the place.

On good regular season, quick exit

I appreciate the body of work. I told the guys in locker room, top 10 improvement in the country. Did well late with not a lot of guys. I appreciate those guys helping us get back to where we've normally been. Tough game tonight. That's part of the deal and you're playing a good team. We knew that coming in. Not a great night to have some subpar performances.

Nick on what he takes from the loss

On how much it hurts. It's going to stay with us. We'll be ready for next year for sure.

The only other thing I'll add tonight. While this hurts, it wasn't surprising. I didn't really see this team winning the whole thing. I thought they overachieved slightly. My main concern is with Betrand. He has not played well since before the Regent game and seems to start out every game slowly. Tonight, he had two great looks at the three and missed them. In the second half, had another great look in the corner-miss. Was about a 40% three-point shooter and even though he made the third team All-CAA, I'm not sure what the deal was with him. Fatigue? Defenses taking away his drive? Not running enough plays for him, especially in the post?

17-13 season. A great success in the minds of true staff and a lot on here. A failure for the rest of us. 

I hear excuses in those comments. “Grays injury. Only playing 8 guys” blah blah blah. It’s college most teams only play 7-8 guys.

The fact of the matter is he cannot win tournament games. When is the banner hanging ceremony for the “10 game” improvement?!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tualum said:

Did he explain why he stopped with the zone when it appeared effective?

just that it was the most zone they have played all year.