• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Transfer Portal thread

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s highlights but looks like he can handle it alittle and drive some. The arc on those shots is impressive  

He's a step above Dottin, if you look at him as a combo guard off the bench. Looks like he takes some crazy shots that PS won't like, but can make them. What I do like is that he plays bigger than 6-0, 180 and can get in the lane. Now, he really looks right-hand dominant, but in the PNR, he could be effective. His inconsistent numbers is a concern, where he should have put up more points and more assists. But if we were looking for a guy that can create his own shot, now matter how unorthodox that may look, he appears to be a solid pickup. 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

If you play him at the 2 guard, that leaves you with a small backcourt when Gibson would be at the point. 

So, it would seem Betrand goes to the 3, leaving the guards as Gibson, Dottin, Timberlake & Allen. 

Hofstra had a small backcourt that worked out pretty well. Ray was 6-2 and Buie 5-11. I'm not saying he's going to start, but he didn't come here to sit.  So that gives you options assuming AB moves to the 3 and you have Timberlake and Allen fighting for the starting job. Gibson should be a lock at the point. 

I'm sure Bay Area Tiger might have an opinion on him since he put up 15 against San Francisco. Another transfer who has been well-traveled. Went from prep school in North Carolina, Pensacola State College, Loyola-Marymount and Cal State Bakersfield.

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

He's a step above Dottin, if you look at him as a combo guard off the bench. Looks like he takes some crazy shots that PS won't like, but can make them. What I do like is that he plays bigger than 6-0, 180 and can get in the lane. Now, he really looks right-hand dominant, but in the PNR, he could be effective. His inconsistent numbers is a concern, where he should have put up more points and more assists. But if we were looking for a guy that can create his own shot, now matter how unorthodox that may look, he appears to be a solid pickup. 

Was goon going to say.. looking at his stats he had 5-6 games with 7 minutes or less played and 0 points.  When he got minutes he produced. What scares me is he isn’t going to get 25 a night under skerry 

Just watched his highlight video. Looks like most of the time he has the ball in his hand, rather than playing the off-guard. I like his 3-pt game. He shot what, about 40% on his 3’s last season. I also liked his ability to get in the lane & create his own shot 

I think he has the potential to be a good pickup 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Was goon going to say.. looking at his stats he had 5-6 games with 7 minutes or less played and 0 points.  When he got minutes he produced. What scares me is he isn’t going to get 25 a night under skerry 

He only averaged about 20mpg. I think he'll play that many minutes if not more. Will help defensively and get Gibby some better shots due to his quickness. We really weren't that athletic last season aside from Timberlake. Now you add Mims, Allen and possibly Jones, if he plays. Hopefully will pressure the ball more. Allen can play with Dottin and you'll have a stocky, defensive backcourt.

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Any thoughts on how the WAC compares to the CAA in terms of strength:quality?

The Wiggity Wiggity WAC (way too much Kris Kross in rotation in my college days) was New Mexico State and that was it.  The Aggies cruised to an undefeated record in conference and for the most part, they weren't really challenged.  This is a conference that had a 4-25 Chicago State team (perennially a doormat) and all but 2 other teams below .500 for the season and one of those was 16-14.  So there wasn't going to be much of a threat for any of them to pull of a non-conference upset.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Charles Minlend (University of SF)

6’4” shooting guard 

14 points a game.   2nd team ALL WCC

Wants to be closer to home (NC)

Be a perfect fit for our Tigers and he’s not necessarily the kind of player who wants to play for a power conference school. 

That's the first name on this whole thread that I'd genuinely want to see in black and gold.  With the signing/commitment of Allen, that probably takes anybody else out of the running.  Minlend's dad was a hell of a player at St. John's and son is pretty damn good in his own respect.  I would expect a P5 team will snap him up as soon as they can.