• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Transfer Portal thread

James Madison got a UAB transfer Rashawn Fredericks. I don't think he's Nate Darling, but did average 2.3ppg for Cincinnati in 2018-19 and was set to play for UAB last season. Might be a decent pickup as a grad transfer.

They’ve signed 4 players recently; the guy you’re talking about, a transfer from La. Monroe, + 2 freshman 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Had a bunch of really good schools offer him in HS.  Went to a good prep school in South Kent. Interesting list of schools there. Iowa State, Cal, URI and then alot of mid majors from all over.

Looking for the best available grad transfers out there. Preferably wings or two-guards. Not many available. The top ones are likely going high-major. You know, the guys averaging 14+ppg or more at mid-majors. I think ultimately we'll have to go the Juco route if we want somebody to be able to contribute next season.

G Ray Salnave, 6-3 from Monmouth. Averaged 14.5ppg and 3.6 assists. A serviceable 36.5% from 3. Apparently Illinois has some interest.

G Jalen Coleman-Lands (6-4, 185)  from DePaul. Averaged 11.1ppg. Hideous shooter (36.3% FG, 32.1% 3pt). Amazing that his best shooting year was his freshman season when he shot 42.2% from 3-point and his sophomore shot 38% from 3-point. But last two seasons had a huge drop-off.

G Jonah Antonio (6-5, 180) from UNLV. Avg. 6.9ppg and shot 31.2% from the field. But averaged 11.3ppg with Mount St. Mary's in his first season. Not a great three-point shooter

F Sebastian Townes (6-5, 255) from Bryant. Barely played last season averaging just 1.9ppg in 10 games. However, he averaged 15.1 points and 4.9 rebounds (34.5% 3pt) on 2018-19 and 11.3ppg in 2017-18. I would pass but intriguing.

G Malcolm Porter (6-4, 190) from Portland. Avg. 9.5ppg and shot 36.5% from 3 and 40.9% overall. Sounds pretty mediocre

I’m guessing we’ll wind up going JUCO, unless somehow Holland seeks, and is granted, some type of hardship waiver of the sit one requirement. If that were the case, we’d have the luxury of using this last ship on a sit one transfer, as Holland’s availability in the fall would essentially cancel out Betrand’s departure 

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m guessing we’ll wind up going JUCO, unless somehow Holland seeks, and is granted, some type of hardship waiver of the sit one requirement. If that were the case, we’d have the luxury of using this last ship on a sit one transfer, as Holland’s availability in the fall would essentially cancel out Betrand’s departure 

I think there are a couple of things we could do. Sure, take the typical sit-out guy with a slim chance at waiver. Take a prep school or high school freshman guard, that maybe is under the radar. Maybe a freshman who has de-committed somewhere. Not sure who is left on the juco market, but I can find out.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

G Malcolm Porter (6-4, 190) from Portland. Avg. 9.5ppg and shot 36.5% from 3 and 40.9% overall. Sounds pretty mediocre

Son of Terry Porter, the former Blazer great AND coach of your Portland Pilots.  That’s right, son is skipping out on pops and apparently, it’s not the first time this has happened as older brother Franklin did it last year by taking the grad transfer route.  As of this writing, Terry is still the coach at Portland.