• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Kudos to all the athletes this season, esp. for spring sports

I can't even imagine being a women's or men's lacrosse player, a gymnast, a baseball or softball player, who didn't even get to complete their seasons. At least the fall sports were well over and the winter sports either over or about to be.

I'm not sure there is a lesson learned other than to live life one day at a time and at it's fullest. You just never know when doing the thing you love might be taken away from you. I deserve no sympathy or pity for not covering some of those sports or being involved in the daily routine of having a job that depends on sports. It hurts the people that are younger journalists, reliant on these athletic events to make a living. Same with those who work at the events who need the extra paycheck or those who work in athletic departments. 

So no NCAA men's or women's basketball Tournament. No MLax or WLax tourny or Final Four on Memorial Day, which had become one of the great traditions for the so-called Olympic sports. No College baseball World Series or for Softball. It's over.

My salute is to the young athletes who ended their careers and are moving on. We won't even have an awards banquet because there are no students on campus. Maybe we'll do something here because we don't have much to talk about until late July, early August. But we'd have to probably ignore the spring sports athletes, who didn't have enough time to be included.

For example, the women's basketball season was the ultimate rollercoaster. Maybe they could have turned it around in the CAA Tournament, maybe not. But I'm sure those seniors, who did accomplish a great thing last year, would love to have played this season again if they had known how this would turn out. Can't take anything for granted. Take games off and well, you end up being mediocre instead of really good.

All we can do is wait, hope, and pray that this nightmare will end shortly either due to the caution we're showing or a quick vaccine arrives. Until then, I salute the Towson athletes whose careers ended abruptly or had their season cut short. I can't imagine how it must have felt to have all that time put into one sport and have it taken away due to a pandemic. 

BTW, not making a political statement and I don't want to turn this thread into one. I've tried to keep the board away from that and make it strictly a discussion of Towson sports with no politics or religion. I think a lot of people are hurting right now for various reasons. Just want to show that we're more than about critiquing, analyzing and rooting. 

Go Tigers.

• Thanks 1

One of my friends has a daughter who is a senior at a D2 school and was captain of her softball team.  Last night was her final game.  Fortunately, the tournament they were playing in was very close to her hometown so her family could attend it.  Had it been a home game, they likely wouldn't have been able to make the trip to see her.  I hope that the NCAA will be able to find a way to extend the eligibility of those in the spring sports who had their seasons ended before a quarter of it could even be played.  The sports landscape across the country is going to be incredibly odd over the next 30 days and who knows how much longer if things can't be contained.

The espn article mentions discussion about winter sports 🏀 athletes who didn’t get to participate in conference & national tournaments. Does that possibly mean seniors on teams like Hofstra might get an extra year of eligibility? I’m not sure how I feel about that. I feel bad for those kids, but that would give some teams an unfair advantage next year 

26 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The espn article mentions discussion about winter sports 🏀 athletes who didn’t get to participate in conference & national tournaments. Does that possibly mean seniors on teams like Hofstra might get an extra year of eligibility? I’m not sure how I feel about that. I feel bad for those kids, but that would give some teams an unfair advantage next year 

Very likely not to happen. All the P5 schools are not getting their star players back. They are leaving to make money. If I'm the Hofstra seniors, why would I want to come back for one more full season of not getting paid and going to school, while not trying to pursue professional opportunities?

It's unclear what options, if any, will be considered for winter sports athletes. Because the season was nearly complete, there are significant logistical challenges. However, a source told ESPN that the committee members wanted to discuss the issue further.

"I think for the spring sports athletes, it's a good idea. I like the idea of some kind of a make-good there and that's the way to do it,'' Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said Friday.

Baseball, beach volleyball, men's and women's golf, men's and women's lacrosse, rowing, softball, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's track and field, men's volleyball and women's water polo are all classified as spring sports by the NCAA.

I’m a 100% for the spring athletes getting a do-over. And I tend to agree that basketball seniors who have the option to get paid to play are unlikely to put that on hold for a full calendar year. Both Buie & Pemberton on Hofstra for example can play overseas. Also, I think there would be a lot of blowback from the schools that wouldn’t get this exemption. Interesting discussion though

20 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I can't even imagine being a women's or men's lacrosse player, a gymnast, a baseball or softball player, who didn't even get to complete their seasons. At least the fall sports were well over and the winter sports either over or about to be.

I'm not sure there is a lesson learned other than to live life one day at a time and at it's fullest. You just never know when doing the thing you love might be taken away from you. I deserve no sympathy or pity for not covering some of those sports or being involved in the daily routine of having a job that depends on sports. It hurts the people that are younger journalists, reliant on these athletic events to make a living. Same with those who work at the events who need the extra paycheck or those who work in athletic departments. 

So no NCAA men's or women's basketball Tournament. No MLax or WLax tourny or Final Four on Memorial Day, which had become one of the great traditions for the so-called Olympic sports. No College baseball World Series or for Softball. It's over.

My salute is to the young athletes who ended their careers and are moving on. We won't even have an awards banquet because there are no students on campus. Maybe we'll do something here because we don't have much to talk about until late July, early August. But we'd have to probably ignore the spring sports athletes, who didn't have enough time to be included.

For example, the women's basketball season was the ultimate rollercoaster. Maybe they could have turned it around in the CAA Tournament, maybe not. But I'm sure those seniors, who did accomplish a great thing last year, would love to have played this season again if they had known how this would turn out. Can't take anything for granted. Take games off and well, you end up being mediocre instead of really good.

All we can do is wait, hope, and pray that this nightmare will end shortly either due to the caution we're showing or a quick vaccine arrives. Until then, I salute the Towson athletes whose careers ended abruptly or had their season cut short. I can't imagine how it must have felt to have all that time put into one sport and have it taken away due to a pandemic. 

BTW, not making a political statement and I don't want to turn this thread into one. I've tried to keep the board away from that and make it strictly a discussion of Towson sports with no politics or religion. I think a lot of people are hurting right now for various reasons. Just want to show that we're more than about critiquing, analyzing and rooting. 

Go Tigers.

Well said..

I agree with spring sport athletes. Hoops and winter sorry. Life is tough and things don’t go your way always. This may be an unpopular but sorry. Season is over 

• Like 1

The women's and men's basketball players played 100% of the regular season. I don't see the NCAA allowing seniors coming back for a full season. It sucks. It's horrible. Especially for a school like Hofstra, who didn't get a chance to experience going to the NCAA's for the first time since 2001. But they won the CAA and will put a nice banner up. Think about the women. They didn't even get to experience the CAA Tournament.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:19 PM, mat1992 said:

The women's and men's basketball players played 100% of the regular season. I don't see the NCAA allowing seniors coming back for a full season. It sucks. It's horrible. Especially for a school like Hofstra, who didn't get a chance to experience going to the NCAA's for the first time since 2001. But they won the CAA and will put a nice banner up. Think about the women. They didn't even get to experience the CAA Tournament.

The banner pales in comparison to the experience of it all. Selection Sunday, the game, etc.

But on the bright side, the women are still defending CAA tourney champs