• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

2020-21 Schedule

While I've never been to Phog, Cameron or Palestra, I have been to several games at Hinkle.  That place is very hard to beat in terms of atmosphere.  It's as close to a time machine as you can get.....right back to 1955.  It's a must-see place for die-hard hoops fans.

10 hours ago, sr16 said:

Jill and ownership are just moving on - I imagine trying to replicate success with their own space. I would say they did make it. 

Feel like the next place will do well if not better (evening and country aside). Great location. Rooftop deck 

10 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

While I've never been to Phog, Cameron or Palestra, I have been to several games at Hinkle.  That place is very hard to beat in terms of atmosphere.  It's as close to a time machine as you can get.....right back to 1955.  It's a must-see place for die-hard hoops fans.

I've been lucky enough to attend games at all 4 locations.  History oozes from the floorboards of all 4 places.  Cameron and Palestra are very similar in the way the 'concourse' (more like 1960's school hallways) are constructed.  It was a vast difference going to Cameron one day and then going to the Dean Dome the next.  As far as crowd atmospheres, the game I saw at Cameron was a December non-con blowout and the games I've seen at the Palestra haven't been all that exciting so I haven't gotten the true feel for either place from a crowd standpoint.  The one game I went to at the Phog was the last Kansas-Missouri game in the rivalry and that was off-the-charts good.  It was the #1 game I'd attended up until a couple of years ago.  As for Hinkle, I made sure to take a picture of the basket from floor level, just to show that they're 10 feet just like the ones back at our home gym.  The game I saw at Hinkle also was a tight, loud affair and if I lived anywhere in the Indianapolis area, I'd be in that place as much as I could.

• Like 1

A look at other CAA teams, home/neutral* (in the same city) non conference games:

UNCW: UNC, Stanford, Davidson

Charleston: Oklahoma State, VCU, URI, Wake Forest, Davidson, LSU

NE: Michigan State, Davidson, St. Bonaventure, Oakland

Elon: UNC, Duke*, South Florida

JMU: UVA, Richmond, Marshall

Delaware: Notre Dame, South Florida, Buffalo, Bradley

Hofstra: Villanova*, St. Bonaventure

Drexel: Penn State* Temple, St. Joes, Lasalle

WM: Marshall, St. Joes

List doesn't include lots of overlaps between teams like Vermont, Mason, ODU, etc. or teams that recently have excelled (UNCG, Furman, ETSU, etc.)

These are parts of other events, H and H, 2 for 1's, coaching friends etc.

We get Navy, Temple, Mason, ODU and Vermont... Yippee! 

Wait, you mean to tell me UNCW is hosting UNC, Stanford & Davidson? And C of C is hosting the 6 programs you listed? And NE is hosting Michigan State? And Elon is hosting UNC? And DE is hosting ND (I know there’s a connection there); & JMU is hosting UVA (I know they’re opening their new building)? And Hofstra & Drexel are playing Nova & Penn State in close proximity to their campuses? 

It’s obvious, for whatever the reason or reasons are, we’re never going to get similarly impressive home games. We’ve been down this road before, but, I’m the Skerry era, who are the most prestigious programs to come to our building? Vermont, Temple & ODU? Am I forgetting anyone? No offense to those 3 schools, but they pale in comparison to some of the programs our conference brethren are getting to come play them at home 

You would think that, from time to time, programs like Rutgers, Seton Hall, Boston College, VA Tech, Pitt might throw us a bone and come to Towson......solid programs but hardly heavyweight, blue-bloods.  Makes you wonder how well connected and respected Tim Leonard and Pat Skerry are in their professions........or how hard they try.

• Like 2

It’s puzzling. I guess the answer would be money, but that doesn’t seem to deter almost every other school in the conference from getting an attractive home game (or games) seemingly every season