• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
etiger

Will we have football in 2020?

All, I know that I said I would never post again because of some idiots attacking me on this board, but in this time of social distancing I needs to talk to some folks. What are your thoughts on this question:

Do we have a 2020 football season due to the COVID-19? 

Me - I am really not sure. The boys will need to be able to be back together no later than 1 July to work out and get in shape. If they cannot, then it is so risky to put them out on the gridiron without being physically ready. What are your thought?

Ed

Welcome back. I think 2020 football is a definite maybe. At the risk of stating the obvious, it will depend on where things stand with the spread of the virus. I’m not an infectious disease expert, unlike many on the internet. But, there is a school of thought that this thing could become seasonal and return in the fall (assuming it’s under some semblance of control before the fall).

If I had to guess, and it’s strictly a guess, I’d say less than a 50% chance of football this fall. Needless to say, I hope the season goes forward.

No fans might be an option, though I wonder what the economic impact of that would be. Not on schools like us, but on the big boys, who get 30, 40 or 50K+ fans a game. Would it make sense for them to play?

Even if no fans is an option, it would still have to be deemed medically safe for the players to have such close contact with one another.

In any event, this is all speculative, as we’re only in late March. I guess we have to see where we are about 60 days from now 

Edited by TSU88

I’d say likely no. Only yes with no fans.  75k + people coming to town each week  tailgating and watching the game in tight quarters  then leaving and going back elsewhere  

It’s not like once it stops it’s done. It will come back in the fall. And next and after that. It’s a strain of the flu. I’m interested to see what happens next flu season with everything. 

What about the economic impact of  loss of corporate sponsorship and alumni donations? This will very likely be the impetus to “regionalization “ of conferences and very possibly a melding of the upper tier of FCS and the G5.  

Edited by RundaPower

Kirk Herbstreit says he’d be “shocked” if there were football (either NFL or college) this fall. I don’t know how to post links to articles, but anyone interested in reading this can just google it. 

I gotta say, the idea of sitting in close proximity to others in Johnny U stadium this fall is a non-starter for me, at least at this point. 

Hate to even think this thought, but is the more relevant question “will we have basketball this fall/winter?”

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:24 AM, mat1992 said:

Impossible to tell now. Let’s get through the month of April first. May have to do it with no fans. 

thank God we have Flo (please note sarcasm)