• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Cam Allen commits to Towson

28 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Tough to have a star and someone score 18-22 points in our system and with our coach. He is a depth coach, and most players aren't going to have a ton of minutes.  Besides Benimon, I'm not sure we have had a player in the top 10 in minutes played.  Depth is great when injuries and foul trouble pop up... but there's still 1 ball and 200 minutes someones going to be upset with their PT.

So you're saying one of our players, after Benimon, would be a star had he played 35+ minutes? I don't get that rationale. Fobbs was playing a ton of minutes late in the season, because he was our best player by far and were down to eight players. He wasn't as good early in the season and his minutes were about the same as Betrand. Now if had a player as good as Buie, Riller, Darling and Knight, and they were playing "only" 30 minutes a game, I would concur. Fobbs averaged 32 minutes per game and 36 in our last three. 

Personally, I have no issues with spreading the minutes around, assuming you have talent coming off the bench. It keeps the guys fresh and yes, your team will be more into the game if they know they will get on the court some. If you have a bunch of scrubs on the bench, then play the starting dudes 30+ each. An eight-man rotation is enough to win in this league. 

Our problem after JB has been that our starters have not been much more talented than our bench. Outside of Moto, Davis, Morsell and Fobbs.

53 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Tough to have a star and someone score 18-22 points in our system and with our coach. He is a depth coach, and most players aren't going to have a ton of minutes.  Besides Benimon, I'm not sure we have had a player in the top 10 in minutes played.  Depth is great when injuries and foul trouble pop up... but there's still 1 ball and 200 minutes someones going to be upset with their PT.

We havent had anyone in the top 10 in minutes during the PS era other than JB. But we've had a guy in the top 10 in scoring 4 of the last 5 years and 6 of 8.  In the 15-16 season we had the 10, 12, 14 scorers in the conference; I'd much rather have that than a guy with top 10 in minutes played. 

24 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So you're saying one of our players, after Benimon, would be a star had he played 35+ minutes? I don't get that rationale. Fobbs was playing a ton of minutes late in the season, because he was our best player by far and were down to eight players. He wasn't as good early in the season and his minutes were about the same as Betrand. Now if had a player as good as Buie, Riller, Darling and Knight, and they were playing "only" 30 minutes a game, I would concur. Fobbs averaged 32 minutes per game and 36 in our last three. 

Personally, I have no issues with spreading the minutes around, assuming you have talent coming off the bench. It keeps the guys fresh and yes, your team will be more into the game if they know they will get on the court some. If you have a bunch of scrubs on the bench, then play the starting dudes 30+ each. An eight-man rotation is enough to win in this league. 

Our problem after JB has been that our starters have not been much more talented than our bench. Outside of Moto, Davis, Morsell and Fobbs.

Where did I say that?  I didn't. But feel like Zane and Fobbs if they averaged Buies minutes could have put up those numbers, life Rilley, Knight, JWF, etc. Is that better for our team? Maybe?

You may have no issues with spreading the minutes around, but the players might. It's tough to get 10-12 guys to buy in and sacrifice like that. Harder in the year 2020.  1-5 we might not be better than other teams in our conference but 1-10 we are. That is great, but has it really worked in our favor? We have won some games, but haven't done anything in March. Depth is great if you know how to use it; VCU, WVU, etc. However I don't think depth means anything in college. I'm a fan of the Musselmann philosophy of short bench 7-8 players max with others red-shirting/sitting out. obviously that works at bigger schools with more talent but, they are 18-22 year old kids, playing twice a week 30-35 games across 4+ months. 

My opinion depth is overrated, but thats PS style and he's going to stick to it. I just wish he would press more and use it to his advantage. 

8 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

We havent had anyone in the top 10 in minutes during the PS era other than JB. But we've had a guy in the top 10 in scoring 4 of the last 5 years and 6 of 8.  In the 15-16 season we had the 10, 12, 14 scorers in the conference; I'd much rather have that than a guy with top 10 in minutes played. 

I'm not saying we went or need that, just pointing out facts.

Totally agree on the press more and play uptempo.  Those are the types of guys he recruits why not maximize their skills.  I think we've always been missing hte guys to run the show, I am hoping they are here now.

I saw this past season against USF but for the life of me I don’t remember him.  
scored 15 but I believe that was all late meaningless points in the 2nd half. 
I know he hit a 3 in the first half that ended 47-28 in the Dons favor. 
Bakersfield coach subbed a ton that game. 
I’ve reached out to the USF play by play guy Pat Olson for any recollection of Allen. 

Welcome to Towson.  

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

Totally agree on the press more and play uptempo.  Those are the types of guys he recruits why not maximize their skills.  I think we've always been missing hte guys to run the show, I am hoping they are here now.

I think most of us can agree that we need to push the tempo more and press, utilizing Timberlake, who can run and jump as well as anybody in the league. Allen will help and let's face it, when we lost Gray to injury, that limited us in terms of depth and length. I was hoping to press with Tunstall and Gray in the lineup. 

But for those who want to press some, you need to have depth, not just play six players. Now playing at a fast tempo is fine. But the team that played the fastest tempo in the league was JMU at 84th in the nation. It was generally a slow league. We ended up at 332, while Northeastern was 336. Hofstra was at 243 in terms of possessions per game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game

I'm thinking that you start Allen and Gibson together, with Allen defending the point guard. Gibson will have to pack on at least 10 more pounds. But then you have two point guards, both can shoot it from deep. Hopefully Gray gets his three-point stroke back and AB at the 3. Victor in the paint and protecting the rim. Rebounding may be an issue as AB needs to step up. Or you start Timberlake at the 2 and if he get improve his three-point stroke to 35-36% and get a handle, well, the sky is the limit. Of course, being in QT all summer won't help unless these guys have their own courts to work on skills.

Thanks BAT

The 1st sentence of that scouting report probably applies to the vast majority of players. 

I don’t expect him to come in & be CPOY, but what I’m hoping he adds is an attribute none of our existing G’s possess-the ability to get in the lane & create his own shot. 

If he averages 10ppg, I would be quite happy