• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Cam Allen commits to Towson

1 hour ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Can he give us what Byron Hawkins did his freshman year? Undersized combo guard  decent athlete, decent shooter.

He's a little bigger than Byron, who was listed at 6-1, but was closer to 5-11. He did average 13.2ppg in his second season but shot just 31.3% from three-point range and 39% overall. Not very efficient though he did have close to a 2-1 assist/turnover ratio. Also a better defender. I did have high hopes for Byron after that first season, but yes, he was an undersized combo guard. He was on that 20-win team with Moto, Morsell, and John Davis, which was not exactly a team of willing passers.

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/byron-hawkins/6434

We need close to 40% three-point shooting, solid defense, ability to defend quicker guards and push the ball to create for others. We don't really have anybody else in the rotation who can put it on the deck and get to the basket on a consistent basis. Maybe he's the guy.

Might cut into his minutes, but I hope he doesn’t leave. He plays hard nosed D, has a great attitude and doesn’t turn the ball over much. 
Maybe he, Allen & Gibson can co-exist/share minutes. Then throw in Timberlake & incoming freshman Barnes & that’s a lot of G’s to divide minutes between. Not to mention incoming freshman Jones. So, who, if anyone, gets caught up in the numbers game?

I don't see Dottin leaving. At least not this year and then he'll have just one year left. I think he knows PS likes his toughness as a defender and backup PG. At 6-2, 210ish, if he continues to improve his jumper, he can play some 2 or even a little 3. Now in the future, we definitely need another combo guard with Allen leaving after one season. 

But sure, it will be interesting to see how the minutes are distributed. Ultimately, Allen is here to play at least 20 mpg. Gibson is going to play 25mpg. After that, who knows how many minutes Betrand, Mims, and Timberlake gets, but expect a little more small ball so will see some three's play four. Maybe Jones or Barnes redshirts. Hopefully they'll be able to practice at some point so they can see whether the youngsters can play right away. 

Lot of isolation stuff...  I still don’t remember him from the USF game but I do remember Bakersfield playing a lot of isolation ball and hence they got rolled. 
I hope he can blend in and contribute. 

Bakersfield to Towson...  you don’t have to ask me twice to make that move!!!

Wonder if he knows how to square dance and if he’d bringing his cowboy hat!?  He could be Jimmy Butler 2.0 and really stand out with his look in Baltimore. 

BAT, you’re mentioning of Bakersfield & square dancing/cowboy hats reminds me that Bakersfield was the hometown of country music legend Buck Owens. So perhaps all Cam Allen has to do to be a success at Towson is to “act naturally.” 😁. If so, the rest of the CAA might have a “Tiger by the tail.”😁

• Haha 1

Cam Allen is from North Carolina, though I doubt he knows who the Bakersfield Sound or that Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam and Merle Haggard are from there. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Lot of isolation stuff...  I still don’t remember him from the USF game but I do remember Bakersfield playing a lot of isolation ball and hence they got rolled. 
I hope he can blend in and contribute. 

Bakersfield to Towson...  you don’t have to ask me twice to make that move!!!

Wonder if he knows how to square dance and if he’d bringing his cowboy hat!?  He could be Jimmy Butler 2.0 and really stand out with his look in Baltimore. 

It's not like we don't play a lot of iso and 1 on 1 ball either.

• Haha 1