• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

20 Game Conference Schedule

It's the off-season with no other sports going on. We are all probably bored and lost without something to distract us from everyday lives... With that being said, a lot of the Power 5 conferences have moved to a 20 game conference schedule and others (A-10) are strongly looking into it. This obviously hurts the smaller conferences as it makes it more difficult to schedule OOC and to get at large bids to the NCAAT. 

11 teams can get you easily to the 20 conference games with a round robin and gives the top 5 seeds a bye in the CAAT rather than top 6. It does make scheduling harder due to one team always being off, however a "bye day" might help teams in the doldrums of conference play. The travel partner concept would need to amended.

12 teams doesn't get a true round robin schedule and some team is going to miss two others for the second time, creating that unbalance. It changes the CAAT back to the of old where you have the first 2 days of 4 games each where the top 4 get a bye. The travel partners could still be in play but would be more difficult than what we have now but could still be doable. 

I pose the hypothetical question (it won't happen because of how far the CAA has fallen and the lack of leadership at the top of the conference)  but, if we were to add another team or two, who would it be and why? Realistic schools, not a VCU, UNC, etc.

If we add just one, I would say Stony Brook. Obviously we know why they arent in for all sports currently.

If we add two, I would say Stony Brook & Albany or UNCG.

UMBC -- Natural rivals and we'd play them twice a season which would inevitably tick you off.  🤣

I think it would depend on what city the conference would want to get into.  They're already on Long Island with Hofstra so Stony Brook makes about as much sense as my UMBC proposal would and Elon/UNCG are pretty close to each other as well.  Guessing that if they invited one for basketball, it would be someone who is already involved with football so SB and Albany seem most logical and it doesn't really add any extra miles to the travel budget.

The power conferences are starting to take their cues from the Big Ten and ACC who went to 20 games after seeing how successful they were.  It kinda sucks for us if we wanted to try to schedule a bigger name but from a basketball fan standpoint, I'd much rather see a Virginia-Carolina game or a Michigan State-Illinois game in late November/early December than these bought games against the likes of Radford, Longwood, Oakland, and Western Illinois.  Plus, given what could happen in the fall with football season and the economy, AD's aren't going to be shelling out the cash for bought games.

19 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

UMBC -- Natural rivals and we'd play them twice a season which would inevitably tick you off.  🤣

2 conference wins are 2 conference wins. Haha I’d take that. 

Umbc basketball isn’t exactly high level. Yes everyone knows 16-1. But they are typically 4th in the pecking order in the Am east. I would think if offered they jump at it just due to travel