• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

All-time lacrosse team (since 1992)

Can't disagree with this one from Spiro. I watched them since 1990 and I would have added Rob Shek, Steve Kisslinger (best pole I've ever seen) and Glenn Smith. That 1991 team is still the best I've ever covered. Best defenseman (Beernink), best attackman (Smith and Blatchley), best midfielder (Shek). Best overall midfield (Dixon, Shek, David Shoul, Tim Barger, Doug Sharretts), and one of the best two-way middies ever in Tony Millon. Probably would go with Casey Cittadino over Jack Adams, but both were great. Damn, we had some great defensive middies. Al Tyler was really good as well. Dan Cocchi was great. I just couldn't put him over Kisslinger. We've had a lot of good goaltenders. Reed Sothoron, John Horrigan, and in the last final four, well Matt Hoy was solid. But we've never really had that special, dominant goaltender. The closest that I can recall was Jerry DeLorenzo, a Syracuse transfer, who played just one season in 1992. That dude was special.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2020/4/9/mens-lacrosse-from-the-broadcast-booth-this-is-a-very-good-team.aspx

(from TowsonTigers.com)

I went to a lacrosse high school. I went to the dominant lacrosse public high school in Baltimore County. I never went to a Dulaney lacrosse game in my life. I never watched an entire lacrosse game until I broadcast the season opener of the 1992 Towson State lacrosse season.

I have to thank my color analysts over the years for helping me to learn the ins and outs of the game. My current and first analyst Glenn Smith, who I unfortunately never got to see play. Greg LaCour, who I also never saw play. And Hunter Lochte, who I saw play every game of his career.

All three of these gentleman have been the upmost help to me in learning the game of lacrosse. I thank them all profusely.

So this is my all-time Towson lacrosse team. Again, these are just the players that I have broadcast. So it does not include anyone before 1992. That is key in reading this list.

Here we go.
Attack -John Blatchley. Tied with Bob Griebe Sr. for first all-time in career assists with 125. Led team in assists all four years. No one else has ever done that. Assisted on game-winning goal at the buzzer against Hopkins in 1992, which gave Towson a bye in the first round of the playoffs. Key member of national runner-up team in 1991. Two time honorable mention All-American

Attack - Ryan Drenner. Along with Blatchley, the greatest distributors I have seen. Great team leader. Helped lead the offense to the Final Four in 2017. Honorable mention All-America in 2016 and 2017 and a two time First Team All-CAA pick.

Attack- Joe Seider. Along with Glenn Smith, the only two players in school history to lead their team in goals scored all four seasons. One of the greatest goals in school history against Syracuse to get the Tigers to the 2017 Final Four. Second to Smith all-time in goals scored with 127. Hereford product was twice Second Team All-CAA and once First Team All-CAA. He and Drenner won 48 games in their four years at Towson.

Midfield - Tim Langton. Four year player from 1993-96. First Team All-America East in 1996. One of only three players in Towson history along with Rob Shek and Zach Goodrich to be named First Team USILA All-America. Was a dominant middie by the time his career ended.

Midfield - Lindsay Dixon. Third Team All-American in 1992. Key member of national runner-up team in 1991. All-ECC First Team in 1990 and 1992. One of those guys who just made everyone around him better. Team captain his senior year.

Midfield - Hunter Lochte. Led the team in goals scored in 2003. Key member of the Tigers 2001 Final Four team. Played midfield for three years and was on attack one year. Call me biased, but he was a stud. Scored game tying goal with just 44 seconds left in quarterfinals against Maryland. Added two assists as Tigers won to go to final four.

SSDM- Zach Goodrich. Arguably one of, if not the greatest player in school history. Certainly the most decorated Division I player in school history. Only two-time First Team All-American in 2018 and 2019. Second Team All-America in 2017. Program's only three time team Captain. Helped to lead the Tigers to the 2017 Final Four. Don't know how many adjectives you want to use to describe him, but triple it.

SSDM - This was my hardest to pick. This may be the position the Tigers have been most blessed at over the last 15 years. Three way race in my mind between Jack Adams, Casey Cittadino and Peter Mezzonotte. The tie-breaker for me was that Jack Adams got to the Final Four. High School teammate of Joe Seider at Hereford, Adams was a Second Team All-American in 2017, and Third Team All-America in 2016. Along with Goodrich, best SSDM duo in the country in 2017, hands down. Tough, tough ball player.

LSM - Dan Cocchi. Second Team All-American in 2001 to help lead the Tigers to the Final Four. Like Goodrich, just dominate at his position. First Team All-CAA in 2002 and was a member of the 25th Anniversary CAA Team. First Team All-America East in 2001. Came back and was defensive coordinator for Shawn Nadelen until leaving for the same position at Rutgers two years ago. More importantly than his playing, a great human being.

Close Defense - Carl Beernink. Key member of 1991 national runner-up team. Honorable Mention All-American in 1991, and Second Team All-America in 1992. Tragically passed away two years ago. Loved deeply by all that played with him. Named to Towson Hall of Fame in 2010.

Close Defense - Adam Baxter. Key member of Final Four team in 2001. Honorable Mention All-American in 2001. Part of a close defense that loved attacking when they came up with the ball. First team All-CAA in 2002.

Close Defense- Koby Smith. Only member of my all-time team still playing. Boy is this young man a special lacrosse player. Probably the most dangerous close defenseman on offense Towson has ever had. Only a junior this year, but has already been a Third Team All-American. Look forward to seeing how dominate his final year or years at Towson will go.

Goalie - Reed Sothoron. Another spot that had me thinking long and hard, but Reed gets the nod. 2004 and 2005 honorable mention All-American. 2nd all-time in school history in save percentage, third all-time in saves.

Faceoffs - Alex Woodall. Had as dominating a season as you will ever see in 2019. .742 win percentage was second in the country. Second all-time in school history. Second team All-American in 2019, honorable mention All-American in 2017. After several years of having problems at the faceoff X, Woodall transferred from High Point to give the Tigers stability at the position.