• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2021 MBB offers

I like this addition. With Nolan, Holden, Rizzuto and (maybe) Holland, we don’t need Paar to be a big scorer. What we do need is a guy who can rotate with Charles Thompson, play D, grab some rebounds and sprinkle in some scoring. If verbalcommits is to be believed, Paar had offers coming out of HS from the likes of Nebraska, Xavier, UMass, St. Bonaventure, Hofstra, KansasState and Temple.

Given his success (at least on paper) of bringing in quality D1 transfers who don’t have to sit out a year,  I wonder if he had to do it over, whether Skerry would have signed 3 freshman for the fall. 

I mentioned this in another post, but it seems to me that HS seniors (not the 5-star kids) might be the big losers under the new rule that D1 kids can now transfer without sitting out a year (at least the first time they transfer, that is). Why recruit an unproven HS kid, when you can bring in a guy who already has a D1 track record? Especially seeing as the HS kid will likely leave for greener pastures if he plays well.    

I know there’s some thought that the elimination of the sit-one rule will turn the Towson’s of the world into glorified farm teams for bigger schools, but Skerry has shown there’s enough D1 transfers out there to offset that concern, by in large. The pipeline of D1 transfers flows both up and down. 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

So we are done for 2021-22 and can focus on the current team and recruiting for the following year. That of course will change after next season. But only senior on this team will be Nolan. Gray doesn’t count and is the 14th scholarship player. We really don’t have to add a freshman in the fall with the transfer portal. 

I feel like Skerry has always done a pretty solid job of bringing in decently high-level transfers (last year being a notable exception) and even recruiting some talented freshmen. Where it has gone south recently is keeping them here and blending them into a solid team. Even though I have often complained that our teams do the same things well and poorly year in and year out, last year's team had zero identity. I will give a pass on that with Covid, and I am guessing Zane and Skerry would be admit it was a mistake to run it back again. Hopefully, this is a group that will at least have time to blend together in the offseason, be ready to compete and have a chip on their shoulder after a miserable 20-21 season. 

• Like 1