• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
BoogerJ

Towson Refunding Prorated Athletic Fee

Towson University will issue prorated refunds for housing, dining and parking charges, as well as the athletics fee and the auxiliary services fee. Towson will refund 51% of fees related to athletics, intramurals, student recreation, student activity, sustainability and student union operations.

That would be half of $17.39 million coming in from student fees which makes up 69% of the budget.

In other words, this could be as much as a $8,695,000 budget cut for Athletics for FY20.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs/towson-university#!quicktabs-tab-where_the_money-1

1281431489_ScreenShot2020-04-25at5_09_04PM.png.46ac571b2ddf9f78d500fe410569f428.png

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-college-park-refunds-20200403-w5czosjnynedrmwx5mj7qf3y3e-story.html

• Like 1

I personally don't think the school should have refunded them. All the facilities and staff need to be maintained for post COVID. We are creating future debt for ourselves. It's $20 line item on the tuition bill...who cares.  If it doesn't come from student fees, it has to come from the State (lol the state of Maryland supporting Towson at all).  People are going to have to pay for it regardless, just a matter of when and how.

It's a pandemic, people will gladly take any check they can get right now. I agree they should have kept the money this was just to appease the masses.

I'm glad the Orioles have been surprisingly good this year cause it doesn't look like we'll have Towson sports for some time. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

I personally don't think the school should have refunded them. All the facilities and staff need to be maintained for post COVID. We are creating future debt for ourselves. It's $20 line item on the tuition bill...who cares.  If it doesn't come from student fees, it has to come from the State (lol the state of Maryland supporting Towson at all).  People are going to have to pay for it regardless, just a matter of when and how.

Where do you get $20? Try $499 per student, per semester.

Athletics Fee

The Athletics Fee supports 20 intercollegiate sports competing at the NCAA Division I level. TU Athletics belongs to the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) and is affiliated with the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC). All students are admitted free to all TU sporting events. A $499 per term Athletics Fee is assessed to all full-time undergraduate students taking 12 or more units. Undergraduate students taking less than 12 units are assessed $45 per unit up to a maximum of $499 per term for the Athletics Fee. Undergraduate students taking approved graduate-level courses are assessed $45 per graduate unit for the Athletics Fee.

Towson Athletics Fee < Click for link

Edited by BoogerJ

On 8/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

500 is lower than most in the conference 

$500 per term/semester which is $1,000 per year, fall/spring semester.

Story on Delaware Athletics fee from June 2020

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/2020/06/25/effort-improve-sports-teams-university-delaware-pays-more-than-most/5310993002/

Delaware receives 86.25% of its athletic funding from the university, ranking it ninth among the 230 Division I schools in the USA Today compilation. Among the eight ahead of Delaware was CAA rival Towson (87.17%).

Edited by BoogerJ

2 hours ago, BoogerJ said:

$500 per term/semester which is $1,000 per year, fall/spring semester.

Yes I know it’s per semester.  Jmu’s is over 2k