• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

And there you have it...a spot has opened up

Kinda late to declare and he could have told us sooner... geez!  With the vote coming.. can players transfer after that or is there a cutoff!?

As we say the show must go on.. I’m 47 and I don’t understand today’s players...  he got a ton of playing time and had 2 seasons left    

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Kinda late to declare and he could have told us sooner... geez!  With the vote coming.. can players transfer after that or is there a cutoff!?

As we say the show must go on.. I’m 47 and I don’t understand today’s players...  he got a ton of playing time and had 2 seasons left    

There are about five players who entered the transfer portal today and about 10 or committed to other schools. Ther are 823 transfers thus far. 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I don't want to keep harping on Betrand, but we went 5-2 in our last 7 games and he averaged 9.2 points. He went 1 for 7 with 2 points in the loss to NE. Maybe he mentally out the door weeks ago.

Big games against Delaware and Drexel and he was paving the way to be a star and then he just flames out at the end of the season and now he's gone.  I remember he had a crap game against Regent and it seemed like there was something weird in that he got disinterested after that?  I just don't get it.  Guy can be the alpha and basically run his own team and now he's going to go thru the process again to try to find another team.  I get it that nowadays, the environment across the country lends itself to kids looking to better their situation and they should but in a number of instances, I just wonder if the grass is really greener.

3 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Big games against Delaware and Drexel and he was paving the way to be a star and then he just flames out at the end of the season and now he's gone.  I remember he had a crap game against Regent and it seemed like there was something weird in that he got disinterested after that?  I just don't get it.  Guy can be the alpha and basically run his own team and now he's going to go thru the process again to try to find another team.  I get it that nowadays, the environment across the country lends itself to kids looking to better their situation and they should but in a number of instances, I just wonder if the grass is really greener.

It's odd. For about 10 games, he was the best player on the team. At least offensively. But he also seemed very moody after certain games where we won and he struggled. I don't think this is a Zane situation that came out of nowhere, where he wanted to go pro and his ego bot the best of him. Maybe AB just needs to go back home or closer to home. I know, it's not like he's playing in Alaska.

12 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Guys transferring from low-mid majors, after having success is not unique to us, but we seem to be in a perpetual rebuild, always one step behind, never able to mesh the pieces together. Guys transferring, guys quitting, guys having to sit out after transferring. Kinda feels like Groundhog Day 

This is a very astute and important perspective, TSU88, that needs to be focused on.  You are spot-on with your comment.  Transfers happen at ALL schools, however, it is very telling about the Towson program specifically.  Whereas other programs and other coaches seem to navigate and overcome the constant state of change, Pat Skerry seems to be in this endless cycle of trying to plug holes.  In his desperation to get enough guys to fill out the roster, he seems to take anyone with pulse.  This is why is seems silly to me to even try to forecast or project how Towson teams are going to fair from one year to the next since they change so dramatically in terms of who's on the roster. ZERO CONSISTENCY.  Highly unlikely that this is the last defection from the team.  Someone else will almost certainly transfer, dropout or quit.  I almost get the sense that when a decent player comes to Towson and experiences some degree of success they start to look around and wonder why they are even at Towson to begin with......they begin to believe that they belong at more competitive/elite ("buttoned-up") programs.  This program needs NEW LEADERSHIP!!!

3 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

This is a very astute and important perspective, TSU88, that needs to be focused on.  You are spot-on with your comment.  Transfers happen at ALL schools, however, it is very telling about the Towson program specifically.  Whereas other programs and other coaches seem to navigate and overcome the constant state of change, Pat Skerry seems to be in this endless cycle of trying to plug holes.  In his desperation to get enough guys to fill out the roster, he seems to take anyone with pulse.  This is why is seems silly to me to even try to forecast or project how Towson teams are going to fair from one year to the next since they change so dramatically in terms of who's on the roster. ZERO CONSISTENCY.  Highly unlikely that this is the last defection from the team.  Someone else will almost certainly transfer, dropout or quit.  I almost get the sense that when a decent player comes to Towson and experiences some degree of success they start to look around and wonder why they are even at Towson to begin with......they begin to believe that they belong at more competitive/elite ("buttoned-up") programs.  This program needs NEW LEADERSHIP!!!

I guess Fobbs had a pretty strong pulse.

20 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

You're familiar with the old saying about the blind squirrel aren't you?

So you really think he just throws darts and that's how he picks up transfers? Transfers are hit-or-miss in most circumstances. What he really needs to do is hit on more freshmen. This season, the staff did a much better job with Gibson and Thompson. As for transfers, I would say Gray was a miss on the offensive end, but we definitely missed his D down the stretch. Not really sure what to expect about Victor and Mims, though I think Big Vic immediately gives you a rim protector at 6-11. Mims is very athletic with a pretty good shot. 

The Betrand thing is tough and the timing is strange, but it's not a surprise, esp. considering they were looking at a Seton Hall transfer. And Betrand's body language this year. Though considering the waiver rule not being passed, I don't know how you can take anybody who has to sit out a year. We should be looking only at grad transfers and jucos.

46 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

This program needs NEW LEADERSHIP!!!

Amen.

42 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I guess Fobbs had a pretty strong pulse.

He was at a second level Juco, and wasn't going to transfer again, after one year here. He seemed happy and content here and was a very good player. Just wish we could have gotten 3 years out of him.

Pat Skerry 9 years at Towson: 5, four year players that he recruited and graduated from TU. TJ, John Davis, Morsell, Eddie Keith, Alex Thomas.   2, five year players that he recruited and graduated: McNeil, Dennis. 

Agreed that by virtue of the NCAA kicking the can down the road, that this (hopefully) last ship has to go to a grad transfer or JUCO.

The team that takes the court this fall will effectively have 7 new players (Jones-incoming freshman; Biekeu-incoming freshman; Mims & Victor U-sit out transfers; Allen-grad transfer; Solomon U-redshirt last year; and now whoever gets Betrand’s slot). Aside from whether this group is talented enough, I’m also concerned there will be a lack of cohesiveness, with so many new pieces & the possibility that the number of practices will be reduced