• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

And there you have it...a spot has opened up

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

If that number is true (7 TOTAL freshmen who have stayed through their senior year in Skerry's 9 years) that might be the most damning indictment against Skerry.  I'm stunned by that statistic, absolutely stunned.  That's shameful.

This program has a revolving door and if we had a competent or interested Athletic Director it would be addressed.

The numbers are true. And yeah but Leonard is as incompetent as it gets.
“Towson Tiger Athletics... where no one gets fired despite poor results on the field.” 

Because this is night #45 of no games on TV, I decided to do a little research into Skerry's transfers and how they performed at D-1 schools after they left Towson.

2011-12 Transfers -- Deon Jones (left after freshman year to Monmouth), Jervon Pressley (left after freshman year to Hampton)

Jones -- at Towson -- 7.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1-31 record.  at Monmouth -- 12.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 57-45 record with an NIT appearance

Pressley -- at Towson -- 3.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1-31 record.  at Hampton -- 6.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 56-42 record with 2 NCAA appearances (win in the First Four) and a CBI appearance

2013-14 transfer -- Four McGlynn (left after junior year to Rhode Island)

McGlynn -- at Towson -- 10.5 ppg, 39.3% from 3, 37-31 record with 1 CIT appearance.  at URI -- 11.6 ppg, 34.7% from 3, 17-15 record

2014-15 transfers -- Byron Hawkins (left after sophomore year to Murray State and then Bryant), AJ Astroth (left after sophomore year to Hampton)

Hawkins -- at Towson -- 10.2 ppg, 37.1% FG, 32-33 record with 1 V16 (really V8) appearance.  at Murray -- 7.2 ppg, 44.3% FG, 26-6 record, scored 8 points vs WVU in NCAA.  at Bryant -- 11.7 ppg, 38.1% FG, 10-20 record

Astroth -- at Towson -- 3.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 12-20 record.  at Hampton -- 5.9 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 32-33 record with 1 appearance in NIT & CBI though he only played 6 games in his final year

2016-17 transfers -- Zane Martin (left after sophomore year to New Mexico), Justin Gorham (left after sophomore year to Houston)

Martin -- at Towson -- 12.5 ppg, 44% FG, 38-27 record.  at New Mexico -- 10.1 ppg, 41.5% FG, 19-14 record

Gorham -- at Towson -- 6.3 ppg, 53.4% FG, 38-27 record.  at Houston -- 3.0 ppg, 34.1% FG, 23-8 record

2018-19 transfers -- Yagizhan Selcuk (!) (left after freshman year to Montana), Allen Betrand (left after sophomore year to TBA)

Selcuk -- at Towson -- 1.8 ppg, played in 5 games  at Montana -- 2.5 ppg, played in 11 games

Betrand -- at Towson -- 9.1 ppg, 41.5% FG, 29-35 record

Yes, there were other transfers out of the program -- the Ingrams, Flashes, Hairstons, and Prophetes of the world -- but those didn't register on the sports-reference database as going to another 4-year D1 school.  Of those who left, I'd say that only Jones, Pressley, and Hawkins for one year made somewhat of an upward move.  At least those 3 contributed in a major postseason tournament.  But did the others better their basketball situation by leaving Towson?  It doesn't appear so and we certainly could have used just about all of these guys in the seasons after they left (except for that Selcuk character).  You can make whatever inference you want but mine would be that the personalities just don't gel with either the team or the coach or both.

17 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

If that number is true (7 TOTAL freshmen who have stayed through their senior year in Skerry's 9 years) that might be the most damning indictment against Skerry.  I'm stunned by that statistic, absolutely stunned.  That's shameful.

This program has a revolving door and if we had a competent or interested Athletic Director it would be addressed.

How many freshman has he recruited in his 9 years? %'s would be helpful, not just whole numbers.  Also would like those %'s compared to the rest of the league.  

21 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

How many freshman has he recruited in his 9 years? %'s would be helpful, not just whole numbers.  Also would like those %'s compared to the rest of the league.  

Work is slow, but it's not that difficult to find.

All Freshmen that PS brought in (Not counting Adams, Giergen, Walden as they were either signed by Kennedy or red-shirted the year prior).  # Means transferred from TU

Jones#, Pressley#,  Hairston#, Marshall#. Alston#, TJ, Foster#, Davis, McNeil, Morsell, Hawkins#, Keith, Tunstall, Thomas, Matthews#, Gorham#, Martin#, Ingram#, Prophete#, Drayton#, Seluck#, Timberlake, Betrand#, Dottin, Solomon

25 Freshman total, 15 have transferred. FIFTEEN    60% leave prior to graduating.  You can also add in 3 transfers, Astroh, Morman and Four, who transferred in and then left prior to graduating.  He lost all 7 players from two straight classes. The fact that we won 10 games during that time, should be credited to Pat. But the blame should also be assigned to him for recruiting and not being able to retain those players. 

I know it's like talking to a brick wall with you Skerry rah rah guys and you will die on that hill. But facts matter!

13 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

There must be nobody left 

Intentional or not, waiting until the end to throw your name in, seems like a good mood. Teams desperate may reach.

47 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Intentional or not, waiting until the end to throw your name in, seems like a good mood. Teams desperate may reach.

That’s not the story. He did not wait to put his name in the portal. There are other circumstances that dictated this move and I can’t say much more.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

That’s not the story. He did not wait to put his name in the portal. There are other circumstances that dictated this move and I can’t say much more.

And it'll be interesting to see just how damaging those other circumstances will be once those other schools learn them.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Are you sure you can't?  Makes me think it was a program decision not AB's