• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

And there you have it...a spot has opened up

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

I could not agree with you more. When you have the list of Mt. Rushmore of "cheating"....at least they won. The old saying is if you are going to cheat, you should at least win. As far as Skerry, I have no idea how anyone can defend his time at Towson. Every year is a new excuse as to why he fails at tournament time. You can talk about graduating and being a nice guy...supposedly... But you don't get extensions because a team has a 3.0. You don't get extensions because you are chummy with donors. You get extensions because you win important games....and we are still waiting. 

As far as I am concerned his years have been better than Coach Kennedy, but it total, his time has been unsuccessful. Coaches in this, a rather mediocre CAA, have been replaced after accomplishing much more. I look forward to the day that the Tigers hoist a CAA Championship trophy. I don't think it will be during the Skerry tenure.

Excellent freakin post. I don’t say cheat but hey the Astros and Red Sox cheated and with with little consequences hahaha 

“Better than the Kennedy years.” Doesn’t take much. But Atleast PK won caa tournament games and in a much better conference 😂😂

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

I just wish you younger guys understood what this program was like a short 10 years ago.  We were the laughing stock of the CAA in the early 2000's.  Less than 300 people in the stands for home games, playing in a HS gym with guys who couldn't even transfer out becuase DII schools didn't even want them.  I get we all want the NCAA tournament but this change in mindset takes time, clearly longer than some you want.  I guess that you believe it is a settling mindselt and we are settling with PS but as soon as we can get 5,000 fans to be as passionate as all of us to sell out the Towson Center is when we can hire/fire coaches and buy out contracts.  Until then, we have a solid coach who has taken us up the CAA standings and we all hope that he can get us to the next step.

Clearly some have given up on that hope but some of us still believe he can do it.  I urge you to go look at box scores from the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 seasons if you want to see a program to be embarrassed of. 

I don’t think anyone said we are embarrassing. Certainly still a joke in the CAA hierarchy. 
Those Early caa teams didn’t belong from a competitive aspect and were way over their heads

10 years for a total rebuild (that isn’t complete) in a bad conference isn’t taking longer than expected, it’s too long. He needs to win 3 straight games in March against our peers and he struggles to put a competitor product on the floor then. 

PKs teams had poor facilities, academic support, etc.  

The “you younger guys” line isn’t applicable, when most of us have been following the team for 10+ years. Been following the team since 06 when I began looking at schools (not as long as some of you) but I did live first hand through the hell of 3 years of Pat Kennedy and that 1-31 skerry debut team.
I remember the longest losing streak in d1 history. I remember the team playing in front of 500 people a night at the TC (not much more now). I remember the fucking bleachers not coming out on the bench side for a game. I remember the Troy franklin jr/sr debacle. I remember the pregame meals at the Glenn or from black and gold catering under pk and the drastic change the next year under ps where we got real pregame food and an academic advisor and support staff.  I also remember the bus ride back from Richmond after getting our heads beat in by VCU by about 65. 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I could take competitive teams with most players who graduate. I'm done arguing with certain people who bring up the fact that Towson is 6-14 on Thursdays in January after a home game in the CAA during snowstorms when we take a bus.

That’s the problem. A few others and yourself are just happy to have a program and a 500 record and terrible postseason results is just icing on the cake. Same with football. It’s the SOT mindset 

there are a lot who aren’t happy with that and want a winner. And 10 years to prove yourself is more than enough  

yeah those are the stats used... they aren’t cherry picked. That’s the great thing about stats and numbers, you can argue and discredit them (as you typically do) but they are usually right...

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

That’s the problem. A few others and yourself are just happy to have a program and a 500 record and terrible postseason results is just icing on the cake. Same with football. It’s the SOT mindset 

there are a lot who aren’t happy with that and want a winner. And 10 years to prove yourself is more than enough  

yeah those are the stats used... they aren’t cherry picked. That’s the great thing about stats and numbers, you can argue and discredit them (as you typically do) but they are usually right...

At this level, there really is only one stat that matters.....games won in March. You can beat NJIT all you want. You can beat, whoever that gteam was that nobody knows the name of that we played this year. You can beat Goucher.....none of that matters. Skerry has more resources, a better arena, more "academic" advisors, more weight training personnel and a far greater salary than Kennedy had. So to say that under Kennedy we were terrible and Skerry took us out of the abyss is a totally meaningless argument.  The CAA under Kennedy also had VCU, Old Dominion, George Mason.....now the CAA is totally mediocre and he can't even win a March game against that hockey school Northeastern. We tell kids they need to be held accountable.......how about a coach making nearly a half million. 

As I was mocked for before, mid-majors play 30 exhibition games. Only the conference tournament matters.

13 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

At this level, there really is only one stat that matters.....games won in March. You can beat NJIT all you want. You can beat, whoever that gteam was that nobody knows the name of that we played this year. You can beat Goucher.....none of that matters. Skerry has more resources, a better arena, more "academic" advisors, more weight training personnel and a far greater salary than Kennedy had. So to say that under Kennedy we were terrible and Skerry took us out of the abyss is a totally meaningless argument.  The CAA under Kennedy also had VCU, Old Dominion, George Mason.....now the CAA is totally mediocre and he can't even win a March game against that hockey school Northeastern. We tell kids they need to be held accountable.......how about a coach making nearly a half million. 

As I was mocked for before, mid-majors play 30 exhibition games. Only the conference tournament matters.

You realize our funding for hoops is still at the bottom of the league, right? 

You all continue to bring up Mason, ODU and VCU.  I went and looked at STATS to see the success of Jim Larranaga as a head coach.  Funny, he didn't make his first NCAA tournament until year 13 of his carrer.  He was able to build the program at Mason and turned them around to make them a powerhouse quickly.  Mason clearly funds hoops and athletics different than Towson.  For those of you who have been a part of the program or close to the program know that things have been done ass backwards for a long time.  I remember being on PKs staff and every other day he would say how F**ked up everything was from the facilities, donors, pregame meals, hotels, and everything else.  That stuff takes time, and the changing of ADs/Presidents doesn't make it go quicker.  

PS needs to do better in the tournament, we all agree on that but there are so many other ancillary parts to make this thing work and unfortunately for all of us Towson hasn't put those pieces together for a long time. 

• Like 1

Our funding in NOT at the bottom of the league. Towson is spending on the top 3 of the CAA. The program has every resource that the other teams do. Remember,  Towson was the first program to offer COA in the CAA.

• Like 2

Towson football and basketball are similar in that the coaches give a lot of false hope,  they put us through a roller coaster of emotions(confusion, frustration, joy, relief, pleasant surprise, dismay) and they have NO clutch gene when it comes to playoffs. Does it fall 100% on the coaches? No. Towson is underfunded, fan interest is below average, and the current AD does not seem to do a whole lot of work. Mike Waddel had his criticisms, but he was much more active and vocal about changing the fan culture and winning big games. Don't see that same energy out of Tim. 

rob and pat are here to stay for the foreseeable future. Do you anticipate things to improve, worsen, or stay the same?

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

You realize our funding for hoops is still at the bottom of the league, right? 

You all continue to bring up Mason, ODU and VCU.  I went and looked at STATS to see the success of Jim Larranaga as a head coach.  Funny, he didn't make his first NCAA tournament until year 13 of his carrer.  He was able to build the program at Mason and turned them around to make them a powerhouse quickly.  Mason clearly funds hoops and athletics different than Towson.  For those of you who have been a part of the program or close to the program know that things have been done ass backwards for a long time.  I remember being on PKs staff and every other day he would say how F**ked up everything was from the facilities, donors, pregame meals, hotels, and everything else.  That stuff takes time, and the changing of ADs/Presidents doesn't make it go quicker.  

PS needs to do better in the tournament, we all agree on that but there are so many other ancillary parts to make this thing work and unfortunately for all of us Towson hasn't put those pieces together for a long time. 

This stuff takes time????????????????? 10 years apparently is not long enough to run out of excuses. Skerry has everything he needs. Other coaches have been fired for not winning, but PS gets extensions. Why can't folks just admit that this is not a good situation for Towson basketball. Very year it is the same story, just a different excuse. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blounge said:

Do you anticipate things to improve, worsen, or stay the same?

Hoops worsen. Immediate eligibility when transferring, if approved, will hurt. People don't want to hear it but the 2 bottom feeders, JMU and Elon, wont be for long. New coaches, New arenas, and they can't possibly be that bad forever. Add UNCW with an unproven but young and hungry coach, Delaware and WM the same, but we are just hear with a 10 year coach who has won NOTHING and us looking like idiots. 

Football, don't know or care. But If you can only manage 14-10 and 1 playoff beat down to a partial scholly team, with a phenomenal QB, you got problems.

3 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

This stuff takes time????????????????? 10 years apparently is not long enough to run out of excuses. Skerry has everything he needs. Other coaches have been fired for not winning, but PS gets extensions. Why can't folks just admit that this is not a good situation for Towson basketball. Very year it is the same story, just a different excuse. 

10 years isn't long man! Some have been waiting 30 years, which means its not that bad!  (sarcasm)     it is the same thing every year

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hoops worsen. Immediate eligibility when transferring, if approved, will hurt. People don't want to hear it but the 2 bottom feeders, JMU and Elon, wont be for long. New coaches, New arenas, and they can't possibly be that bad forever. Add UNCW with an unproven but young and hungry coach, Delaware and WM the same, but we are just hear with a 10 year coach who has won NOTHING and us looking like idiots. 

Football, don't know or care. But If you can only manage 14-10 and 1 playoff beat down to a partial scholly team, with a phenomenal QB, you got problems.

10 years isn't long man! Some have been waiting 30 years, which means its not that bad!  (sarcasm)     it is the same thing every year

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Elon (and probably JMU). Elon is definitely on the come. Only good thing is that there coach will use them as a lily pad the second a bigger program comes calling. UNCW is a sleeping giant. They’ve got a strong fan base, & a history of success. DE is stacked next year, if Darling returns. Hofstra, C of C & NE are always near the top of the conference. W&M, I don’t know. If they couldn’t make the dance with Knight & the tall kid with the Dutch name...

Who’s that leave, us & Drexel