• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Makhtar Gueye transferring to Towson

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

You want G’s? If Holland gets a waiver we’ve got him (double digit scorer last season); Allen (grad transfer who avg 9ppg last season); Gibson, Timberlake and Jones (the uber athletic freshman from Oak Hill). That’s not a bad quintet. 

I’ll be the 1st to say there are a ton of unanswered questions about this team. I don’t look at things through TU colored glasses, but this team has the potential to be at or near the top of the CAA, IF Holland & Gueye both get waivers to play this fall. Throw in Allen, Gibson, Timberlake (hopefully he steps his game up some), Mims (an unknown commodity, I concede), Jones (also an unknown commodity), Gray, Thompson, Victor U (also an unknown commodity, but maybe he’ll be a force on D) & his brother Solomon & I don’t see anything wrong with having guarded optimism 

None of those names are game changing or great that can go get their shit and take a game over. All the top teams have guards and play a perimeter game. We could run out 3 guys over 6’9 and we won’t win much in the Caa. Name a team recently that won with a legit low post presence. Charleston with Brantley is it. It’s even harder to get bigs the ball in our system  

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

True to an extent, which is why we added Holland and Allen. Gibson should take a big jump this year and hopefully Timberlake does as well. Mims is the x-factor. I would have preferred another wing who can score, but beggars can't be choosers.

True beggars can’t be choosers. 

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

None of those names are game changing or great that can go get their shit and take a game over. All the top teams have guards and play a perimeter game. We could run out 3 guys over 6’9 and we won’t win much in the Caa. Name a team recently that won with a legit low post presence. Charleston with Brantley is it. It’s even harder to get bigs the ball in our system  

True beggars can’t be choosers. 

I’m going to look at the glass as being half full, for the present. I need some cause for optimism, given current events. Also, it’s hard not to have a modicum of hope, in light of the caliber of the other schools that either offered, or at least showed interest in, this guy 

• Thanks 1

Nice article, paints the staff in a favorable light.  This guy is really intriguing.  I love the idea of a guy 6 10 who can shoot it.  Most bigs we get are offensively challenged - can't recall EVER when we had a team that could spread the floor.  

12 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Nice article, paints the staff in a favorable light.  This guy is really intriguing.  I love the idea of a guy 6 10 who can shoot it.  Most bigs we get are offensively challenged - can't recall EVER when we had a team that could spread the floor.  

He's replacing Dennis Tunstall, who averaged 4.4ppg in 23mpg last year. The bar is low for our big men on the offensive end. BTW, Hofstra, who won the league last year, had one quality big man in Isaac Kante. Actually just one big man and four guards. He averaged 11.4ppg and 7.7rpg. Not big numbers but better than anything we had last season. You don't have to have a dominant big man, but you can have a productive big man or two and win in this league.

To me, it still hinges on Holland. He's capable of a big year with that size, athleticism and three-point shooting. If he doesn't play, our guards are Timberlake, Allen, Dottin and Gibson. Big difference. More reliance on Allen to play big minutes, when he's mainly been a 20mpg guy. 

I understand what TU2012 is saying and agree that this is a guard dominant league.  At the same time we could be a matchup nightmare for everyone in the CAA if all of these guys get waivers this year.  The ability of Gray and Gueye to stretch the floor, allowing no double teams in the post on Victor can be a huge asset offensively and the lenght on this team defensively could bring a faster pace which is something we have all be hoping for (including myself).

I know a lot of ppl on this board don't like Skerry ball.  For me, if we have the athletes to run a full court press, trap, and speed up the pace (which we haven't done) we can not only win games but we may actually make it exciting enough for more than 1,800 people to come to the arena.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I’m going to look at the glass as being half full, for the present. I need some cause for optimism, given current events. Also, it’s hard not to have a modicum of hope, in light of the caliber of the other schools that either offered, or at least showed interest in, this guy 

I know you are. I just would have preferred a guard or wing haha. But as Mat said beggars can't be choosers.  We do need at least 1 of the 2 transfers to be eligible in the Fall.