• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
El Tigre Oro

I guess Dartmouth Game is now Postponed

15 minutes ago, TUvet said:

I agree the dominos will now fall. I would expect sports to get cut. You are looking at a loss of about $400,000 to the athletic budget.

Not so fast. Bigger hit is for the G5. I expect the G5 and top tier FCS (see CAA) combine into a new D1 , regionalized , level of football.  I think money games with P5 would be guaranteed at $800k+ to fund the 72 scholarships.  2x games per year and a 16 team National Championship tournament.

7 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Not so fast. Bigger hit is for the G5. I expect the G5 and top tier FCS (see CAA) combine into a new D1 , regionalized , level of football.  I think money games with P5 would be guaranteed at $800k+ to fund the 72 scholarships.  2x games per year and a 16 team National Championship tournament.

You may be correct. I hope you are. I just know that the loss of around $400,000 possibly higher is a devastating hit for the athletic department. 

• Like 1

Below is a retweet from Jay Bilas

BGSU Football is scheduled to play at Ohio State and Illinois. BGSU would lose out on $2.2 million if the Big Ten doesn't have conference games. That is absolutely crippling to a department that already has an extremely limited budget. This is legitimately devastating.

1 hour ago, TUvet said:

I agree the dominos will now fall. I would expect sports to get cut. You are looking at a loss of about $400,000 to the athletic budget.

It was $325,000. I also think that people don't realize as much money as we'll be losing on the Maryland game or the ticket revenue, we'll also be saving on travel for fall sports (assuming conference-only) and nobody is traveling for recruiting over the summer. Whether it's basketball camps or looking at recruits on the West Coast or any other sport. I assume we'll be saving hundreds of thousands in that respect. 

If we are going to play conference-only, I do wish we would keep the Morgan State game. No reason why we can play that game on Sept. 12 right before the Stony Brook game. Or even play two weeks before just in case, you know, you get a few positive tests.

Not saying this doesn't hurt, losing Maryland, but at some point, if a school like Ohio State doesn't feel like playing in the fall (likely due to a lot of positive tests), maybe just move all of FBS and FCS football to April (practice in March). Make spring football real football and start winter sports a bit earlier (in October). Just play conference games in the spring. Will obviously need at least a month of prep.

We've cut enough male sports. I don't see that happening as we're at the minimum. Cutting another women's sport or two would not help Title IX guidelines. Yes, our level of football is not in the greatest shape, but I think the sport has to be played this year, whether it's fall, conference-only or the spring. It will be played.

Hope you are right.  Another issue....if we don't play this year what happens to scholarships? We only get 62, right? If the seniors retain eligibility and the incoming freshman class of 2021...how do you handle that? You would have 5 recruiting classes on campus at the same time.  Even if NCAA gave some sort of waiver could school budgets afford the additional 15 or so full rides? This mess is like an onion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TUvet said:

You may be correct. I hope you are. I just know that the loss of around $400,000 possibly higher is a devastating hit for the athletic department. 

Again, a (P5)$325k games lost versus two (G5)$1MM each,payout games is a big difference.  The percentage loss ofn$325k to our budget is much smaller than a Kent state losing $2+MM.  the $325k at Towson pays for the extras.  Our FB Bugdet is $325kx25. BGSU FB budget is $2.2Mx5! You see the difference?

Scholarship waivers will have to be implemented. However,  I don’t know how each school will be able to work out the finances.  Does the NCAA pay for them? Lol

That is my point.  The NCAA could issue waivers for 100 scholarships but can post COVID FCS budgets afford them? It's going to take excellent leadership and creative critical thinking to work through all of the issues. 

Maryland game has been canceled. Very disappointing, as I liked our chances given that Md. lost their star RBs, we're getting key players back, and Constantine (assuming he pans out) seems like a better QB than Josh Jackson.