• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
El Tigre Oro

I guess Dartmouth Game is now Postponed

13 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

Maryland game has been canceled. Very disappointing, as I liked our chances given that Md. lost their star RBs, we're getting key players back, and Constantine (assuming he pans out) seems like a better QB than Josh Jackson.

Lol in 2012 I liked our chances and even a few years ago thought it could be close (2-3 score game). Maryland is god awful at football. But they can and will run circles around us. 

fbs has smacked the fcs around recently and there are 3-6 good fcs teams. And then everyone else.  We are, have been (without 3 years of West), will be, “everyone else”

This is an average fcs program with stale leadership. They are playing a bottom 50% fbs program and would be very surprised if it’s a 3 score game. 

to mats comment after 54, no reason this or Morgan shouldn’t be played 

I don't mind being the glass-half empty one. I actually think with a legit month to prepare and with a pretty healthy team, we'd have our best chance since 2011 to beat the Terps. As many on here know in that first game at College Park, Grant Enders was injured and we couldn't complete drives in the first half against the Terps, despite playing them about even. We fell apart in the second half in heavy rain and lost 28-3. We got smoked 63-17 the last time in 2017, as we played with Stover at quarterback after Mahalak suffered a concussion in the Morgan State opener. 

We made the playoffs in 2018 because we had a healthy Flacco and Shane Simpson. Flacco is gone, but Simpson will be healthy to start the season and with Jake Constantine at QB, we have a chance to be pretty good again. I thought we'd be really good last season and didn't forsee six ACL injuries to key players, including Simpson along with serious-to-nagging injuries to basically every transfer we brought in. Obviously, we needed more depth at running back, considering the odd redshirt of Kobe Young last season. He's back, we have the big Talley kid and Adrian Platt behind an experienced and huge line (hopefully with Darian Bryant at right tackle, Gilmore moved to right guard). We have other options as well. Constantine is the big x-factor because you are hoping he can do what Flacco did and that's find some chemistry with his receivers in about a month's time (I know Flacco had a little more than that). He's not going to run as much as Flacco, but I think our receiving corps with Jabari Allen back healthy, another year of Darian Street, Caleb Smith, Daniel Thompson and youngsters Charles Murphy and Ty Granger (both 6-1 and fast). I think the offense can be as strong as we've had since the T-West years.

But it's always about the defense. We have a lot of talent but can they mesh in time? Is the scheme right for them? Can Ronald Johnson, Jesus Gibbs, Marcus Bowman, Quashon Alexander, Tibo Debaille and Ricky DeBerry stay healthy? What about the back end? Brandon Shuman is back for another year. Is Charles Peeples ready to take over at the other corner spot? What about new safety Keyvone Bruton from Temple? If he starts, what does that mean for Jamal Gay, Robert Topps and SJ Brown? A lot of questions on D as usual. I like our potential up front, but do we have enough to put consistent pressure on the QB in a 3-4 scheme and who will be the outside linebacker this season? That was a not a very productive spot last season. Will that be Ball State transfer Michael Robinson at 6-1, 220? 

The Maryland game is likely a moot point because that game is already listed as canceled on the schedule. I guess there's a slight shot of the Morgan State game to be played, if there is a season. But let's face it. If all these P5 conferences are playing conference-only, my guess is the CAA will follow. Maryland isn't going to be allowed to schedule another game, even if it's just "30 minutes" away. I'm quoting the article from SI and we know it's closer to an hour away.

I guess at this point, we'll take eight games, assuming they can do this as safely as possible. In this state, hopefully by late September, the overall situation will be improved tremendously.

Also makes sense from a travel perspective that a conference has a situation where Penn State will play at Nebraska and Nebraska will play at Rutgers yet Nebraska won't get to play South Dakota State at home.  I agree with the tweeter that says we should get back on Maryland's schedule.  It's tough to say you're going to kill games because of travel and then go 1500 miles for a conference game when there's a non-con game available 30 miles up the road.

There’s a major caveat to JMU playing football this fall ... “as long as the FCS postseason is still on.”

472D0C66-1AD6-4F1D-B622-DB8FFD26D5BB.png