• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
BK_Brian

COVID 19 and NCAA Athletics

How many of you really think there will be any college sports this fall or maybe even for the 2020-2021 season?  I would put the odds at less than 10% for the fall and maybe 25% for the year.  Do you think this pandemic may force schools and conferences to re-think the lay out of conferences and consider creating geographically local conferences to cut down on flights, travel, etc. for the purpose of cutting down on risks?

I'm not putting a percentage on it, but I'm a lot more optimistic for the winter and spring sports. Maryland is doing its job when it comes to the pandemic and the other states are experiencing what we went through in April and May. In another month or two, assuming they follow safety guidelines, those states should be closer to where we are (and Virginia and PA). 

Liability is the biggest issue and I guess fall sports may end up getting the short shrift just like spring sports did in 2020.

Im currently in LA, if cali, texas, florida, arizona dont hammer this down we will not be having a season. 

3 hours ago, sr16 said:

Im currently in LA, if cali, texas, florida, arizona dont hammer this down we will not be having a season. 

Are any of the CAA members in those states? We’re in pretty good shape in the Mid-Atlantic region. Looks like PAC-12 is sticking with conference only for fall sports.

I just look at what's happening with MLS and even MLB.  MLS has far more resources and created this bubble and so far at least two teams have dropped out.  They have postponed several other games due to positive tests. The NBA also had a bunch of players drop out of the restart b/c of health concerns or positive tests.  The measuring stick right now is how the professional leagues are attempting this and if they are having so much difficulty pulling this off in what they believe is an ideal environment (this bubble), how on earth can anyone reasonably expect college athletics to go forward.

I hate to say it but college sports are f***ed in 2020-2021.  

1 hour ago, BK_Brian said:

I just look at what's happening with MLS and even MLB.  MLS has far more resources and created this bubble and so far at least two teams have dropped out.  They have postponed several other games due to positive tests. The NBA also had a bunch of players drop out of the restart b/c of health concerns or positive tests.  The measuring stick right now is how the professional leagues are attempting this and if they are having so much difficulty pulling this off in what they believe is an ideal environment (this bubble), how on earth can anyone reasonably expect college athletics to go forward.

I hate to say it but college sports are f***ed in 2020-2021.  

Good point. The pros will somewhat provide guidance to whether any fall sports will play out in college. Once the NBA had shutdown, others followed suit. I do believe the NBA will finish the season and crown a champion. May be some adjustments but believe it will play out. Of course everything dependent on how the virus plays out, especially if things get worse in the fall as what is anticipated. Keep fingers crossed...

Kids are playing outdoor sports in many places. I can’t imagine not being playing any college sports unless the virus becomes out of control everywhere and there’s no vaccine before January.

It does appear that College fall sports is in deep trouble barring some rare positive news in the next few weeks.

Stanford has a $27 billion endowment and they were supposedly gonna have a $11 million shortfall for sports.. 

They are the king of smaller fringe sports amongst college athletics.  

I’m in a bubble here in NorCal.. I don’t see us playing anything until at least Jan 1st with respect to HS and college athletics but again I can only speak of the Bay Area.  I know what the PAC 12 has stated but I still don’t see the major college sports happening.  Pray I’m wrong. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

On 7/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, mat1992 said:

Are any of the CAA members in those states? We’re in pretty good shape in the Mid-Atlantic region. Looks like PAC-12 is sticking with conference only for fall sports.

I dont foresee some conferences playing and others not playing. wouldnt be fair. its everyone or noone. 

19 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I dont foresee some conferences playing and others not playing. wouldnt be fair. its everyone or noone. 

Disagree. If it’s safe to play in the East Coast, but they can’t play out West, why shouldn’t those Eastern conferences play? They just won’t have National tournaments. They’ll just play teams within their own conference or area.