• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

2020 CAA season

14 hours ago, Blounge said:

The big outrage on Twitter is the $500 athletics fee that the students would LOVE to have refunded but unfortunately nope they get access to the rock wall at Burdick so Towson gets to keep their athletic fee money. 

Yeah, when I saw the Facebook post had 50 comments I knew right away what it was about. That’s a though situation for everyone w

What really stinks is that JMU and Elon are still going to play a football season...The NCAA has not cancelled the playoffs, and pushed a decision down the road to Aug 4. If the NCAA decision is to go-ahead and have a championship, then the decision to cancel football is a really bad outcome for TU. Not to play when other conferences still do, a real stab in the neck to future recruiting!

Edited by etiger

^All the people going to Ocean City and back are causing Maryland to become a new covid hot spot. Baltimore is getting hit hard right now, it was the right call to say no this year.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, etiger said:

What really stinks is that JMU and Elon are still going to play a football season...The NCAA has not cancelled the playoffs, and pushed a decision down the road to Aug 4. If the NCAA decision is to go-ahead and have a championship, then the decision to cancel football is a really bad outcome for TU. Not to play when other conferences still do, a real stab in the neck to future recruiting!

It's only July, I will be shocked if football (or in-person anything) will go forward at JMU, Elon or any other college this year.

I'm a DII and DIII college hoops official and we are already getting push back to not have a season before 2021.  Granted, its DII/DIII but I think BK is spot on saying that this isn't going to happen at the NCAA level.

Look at the latest story with the Miami Marlins (https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29547211/two-mlb-games-postponed-marlins-outbreak).  These are professional athletes with millions of dollars on the line and twelve members of the team (including some staff) now have COVID.  Now these individuals are staying in Philly for the next few days to undergo testing, etc.  

How does anyone expect any college sport, let alone football, to go forward?  Football has more personnel than any other sport and there will surely be no bubble for college sports.  Could you imagine if a team travels to another state and then a bunch of players test positive.  I'm sure the colleges will love the idea of putting up a football team at a hotel for a week or so.

Who knows how the Marlins players got sick.  Hypothetically (and probably a good guess) a few players went out to a bar/club and got it and then possibly spread it amongst the team.  Professional athletes have lots of $$ on the line and you would think they would be incentivized not to go out to the bars/club or engage in behaviour at which they may be exposed, but that was possibly not the case.

Now, you're going to tell me that college athletes/students are going to not put themselves in risky behaviour that may potentially expose themselves, teammates, staff, etc. when they have little on the line. 

What happens when a coach or staff member unknowingly spreads it some players and one of the players has a bad reaction.  Could you imagine the lawsuits?  

There is a lot of money on the line, but there is a whole lot more at stake if they try to go forward and it fails badly.  

• Like 2

10 years from now us fans won’t care that the 2020 season got cancelled. What we would remember is if multiple college athletes got sick and spread it to their vulnerable family members or if an athlete died from COVID. As much as if sucks horribly for the finances and the players, you have to prioritize human life. 

• Like 3